Thread: How to get enough fat? page

Pinkskyy is offline Junior Member

Question How to get enough fat?

Primal Fuel
    I searched the forum for some ideas, but I still am not getting in enough fat! What sources does everyone get their fat from?

This is what I have so far:

eggs
    almonds
    cheese
    steak
    butter
    coconut oil
    Bacon

The problem is that i dont really like the fat on steaks (I usually get the leaner cuts or ribeyes, but cut off all visible fat after i cook it bc i dont like the texture.) I always top my steaks with butter, but I dont know what else to put butter on. i do get full fat cheese, but dont want to eat tons of it bc I am trying to lose and i also try to limit dairy. I do put cream in my coffee but I usually only have 1 cup per day. Almonds and nuts--again, trying to lose weight so I try to only have 1 ounce per day--when I bake and cook, I do use almond flour so again, dont like to eat a lot of nuts. Coconut oil I dont know how to get more in bc I dont like to cook with it unless it enhances the flavor of the dish, like coconut shrimp or chicken.

A typical day I will get in about 75-100g of fat, on the higher end.

For example, today I ended at 1300 cals, 19g carbs, 96g fat, 87g protein--but thats only bc I ate 4 eggs today and some chopped meat. Usually, its less.

What am I missing? Do my numbers look ok? I am a 26 year old female, 190lbs, obviously trying to lose.

Thanks!

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    A few suggestions :

Coconut milk
    Avocado
    Organ meat tend to be high in fat too.
    Olive oil over your veggies/salad
    Oily fish (especially mackerel)
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Make this for breakfast:

2 eggs scrambled with 2-3 tbs heavy cream, cooked in 1 tbs butter. Add cheese and salsa if you like. Serve with Fage total.
    No fatty cuts of meat there, and that's about 40g? fat, more if you add the cheese.

And a dairy free BAS for lunch with lettuce, whole avocado, hard boiled eggs, bacon, and walnuts would be good for fat, idk how much that would be but I often make this and add tomato and mayo. One time I mixed mayo with hot bacon grease. THAT was good, but I felt sick after
    Last edited by Katie82; 06-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    cream cheese, sour cream, make oil based dipping sauces, guacamole, bacon, macadamia nuts or nut butter, MAYO

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    A can of coconut milk a day
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Alfredo sauce is really easy to make and has 93 g fat for 1.5 cups. Put butter on your veggies, on your steak. Use more oil in your stir fries. For dessert, whipped heaven (whipped cream and mascarpone) (berries optional). If you cook with garlic, bear in mind that it'll soak up more than most people give it credit for and use more than you'd think. Bacon. Pepper poppers. Use coconut oil in your salad dressing.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    A can of coconut milk a day
    Agreed. I mix mine with various spices, for example, ginger, curry, cocoa (not a spice, I know), and drink it for breakfast. Yum!
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

ben61820 is offline Junior Member
    the easiest way to get a good amount of fat in you is to have a bowl of oil (i go macadamia oil or olive oil only) and just dip things in it. Most people use bread of course but i almost always have nice crunchy leaves of romaine ready for dipping like that. celery works too. Also, take strips of toasted nori and dip and eat those. delcious. Another nori example: take a big piece of nori and put a couple pats of good butter in the middle and fold up. nice little package of iodine, fat, etc. but i really think that dipping a lot of things in the liquid oil will get you every gram of fat you need. It will be mostly MUFA though, not that kickass animal sat but what can you do

Pinkskyy is offline Junior Member
    Awesome!

Thank you guys so much for the ideas, it is so appreciated!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkskyy View Post
    A typical day I will get in about 75-100g of fat, on the higher end.

For example, today I ended at 1300 cals, 19g carbs, 96g fat, 87g protein--but thats only bc I ate 4 eggs today and some chopped meat. Usually, its less.

What am I missing? Do my numbers look ok? I am a 26 year old female, 190lbs, obviously trying to lose.

Thanks!
    I think you're getting plenty of fat or close to it. But that's just me. While i do eat some 'free fat', I prefer to eat as little as possible, instead opting for fat in real food like coconut, cocout milk a few macadamia nuts, fage yogurt and avocados.

But I really don't need to try to get extra fat in....I find it really easy to do.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order