Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My own research findings page

JasonBanz is offline Member

My own research findings

Primal Fuel
    I am definately no scientist or nutritionist, but I have made some findings for myself. I don't know if any of you are like me, but when I hear on television or the radio about fast food resturaunts and their new low fat items, it honestly makes my blood boil. Or even when people tell you the reason obesity and diabetes is out of control is because of fast food and the amount of fat it contains.

I took some nutrition information from a few fast food places, jotted down the fat and carbohydrate contents for them, and figured out what an entire meal contains. I took 2 traditional fast food joints and got their regular menu. I took 2 others and went for their "healthy" menu. Here's my findings.

McDonalds:
    Big Mac-29g of fat and 45g of carbs
    Large Fry-25g of fat and 63g of carbs
    Large Coke-0g of fat and 86g of carbs
    Totals-54g of total fat and 194g of total carbs
    Calories from fat 486 and calories from carbs 776 totaling 1262

Wendy's
    Double Bacon Deluxe-52g of fat and 46g of carbs
    Large Fry-25g of fat and 73g of carbs
    Large Coke-0g of fat and 75g of carbs
    Totals-77g of fat and 194g of carbs
    Calories from fat 693 and calories from carbs 776 totaling 1469

Taco Bell-Low-fat fresco menu
    Fresco Chicken Burrito-2.5g of fat and 50g of carbs
    Fresco Ranchero Chicken Soft Taco-1.5g of fat and 22g of carbs
    Diet Pepsi-0g of fat and 0g of carbs
    Totals-4g of fat and 72g of carbs
    Calories from fat 36 and calories from carbs 288 totaling 324

Subway-Low-fat menu
    Footlong Oven Roasted Chicken-9g of fat and 97g of carbs
    Bag of Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips-9g of fat and 29g of carbs
    Diet Coke-0g of fat and 0g of carbs
    Totals-18g of fat and 126g of carbs
    Calories from fat 162 and calories from carbs 504 totaling 666(stay away from that meal!)

I just randomly picked these items. No one ever wants to believe the carbohydrates outweigh the fat. In every one I randomly picked the carbs are way way higher than the fat. Opinions?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Ohh thank you! I'm going to eat at taco-bell tomorrow. Looks great!
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    This is a serious problem and it's getting better but not nearly fast enough. The idea that as long as it's "low fat" it's perfectly healthy is so blatantly stupid and dangerous and it makes my blood boil too.

I used to sell cocaine when I was younger. I should have mentioned that it was low fat. Damn! Missed opportunities.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    This is a serious problem and it's getting better but not nearly fast enough. The idea that as long as it's "low fat" it's perfectly healthy is so blatantly stupid and dangerous and it makes my blood boil too.

I used to sell cocaine when I was younger. I should have mentioned that it was low fat. Damn! Missed opportunities.
    LOL!! I actually got called an idiot by a co-worker a few weeks ago for saying that fat isn't bad. He told me he "studied" nutrition and refused to say another word to me the rest of the night. I found it hilarious but yet I still shook my head in disbelief.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    you should see what they are teaching our kids at school here. I might have to take them out of health classes as well as religion classes!

http://www.ipswichhealthy4life.com.a...ell/food-plate

6-12 servings of cereal daily?!?!?!?! Less fruit too? Only 1 serving of poultry or lean meat?? What's heart disease like out there? Thanks for sharing that!

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I'm looking at the Nutrition Australia website and just getting SO depressed. What hope is there when you've got national bodies pushing this crap? God it's just so totally miserable.

That is the same way everything changed in the US also. I just get so mad when I hear things about fat-free and low-fat. Even hearing people say, "this is ok, it's fat free". It just makes you want to shake them.

I work in a jail and the main thing our inmates get fed are carbohydrates. They get fed plenty of bread, noodles, and potatoes. They can order other things off our commissary and they normally get potato chips, cup of noodles, candy bars, and cakes. 75% of them gain a considerable amount of weight while there. Many claim that it is inactivity, but what about the amount of carbs they consume?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    "Meats can often be high in fat and cholesterol as well as high in sodium. This being the case, small portions of meat are recommended each day"

Well despite the fact that none of that is necessarily the case (and dietary cholesterol has absolutely no effect on serum cholesterol and serum cholesterol is a really iffy speculation to begin with) even if it was there's still no demonstrable evidence to suggest that those thigns are bad at all. If one doesn't eat processed food it's damn hard to get enough sodium that it becomes detrimental.

Also they only want you to have 1 serving of meat a day (despite the fact that they list it as an important source of iron which is slim to none in any of the other food they recommend) but you can have 2 of sweets? The fuck? Oh no let's not mention that people shouldn't eat processed grains and if they ever do eat grains they should soak, sprout and ideally ferment them to make them somewhat more nutritious and healthful than cardboard. And I thought the Canadian recommendations were dumb. Your government actually makes me somewhat proud of my government. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/alt_for...enmang-eng.pdf

8-10 servings of fruit and vegetables and 3 of meat for me. Tack on a few servings of meat and replace the grains with added fats and tubers and they actually got close to what I do eat.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

PrimalCon New York
    Wow, that is a good amount of fruit and veggies in a day, but the grains? I guess proof means nothing anymore. I'm just going to start a fad diet of skittle and soda and say, "hey it's fat free"! I'm curious to see how far that gets!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast