Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Refeeds? page

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member

Carb Refeeds?

Primal Fuel
    So there seems to be a little bit of hype regarding Mark's recent posts on carb refeeding that left me with more questions than answers.

This is what I got out of it:

1. Primal carb refeeds are good for resetting leptin levels.
    2. Carb refeeds could be useful in losing some stubborn fat and therefore helping shed the last few pounds
    3. Carb refeeds are not really recommended for everyone.

I'm still dealing with some stubborn fat from the good old days and I was wondering whether this could help. The Warrior Diet which I followed for a long time advocated eating gluten-free carbs and legumes once or twice a week, and I would posit that this recommendation is for that very same reason.

Honestly, sometimes I feel like the more I read within the forums and posts, the more confused I get about what to eat and what not to eat.

Nuts are smart fuels: nuts offset your omega balances and lead to inflammation and weight gain (i gave up nuts)

Eggs are smart fuels: eggs should be limited to only a few a day because they have O6

Pork and chicken are good protein sources: pork and chicken have omega 6's (i can't give up bacon!)

Carbs cause insulin spikes which drive fat gain: carb refeeds aid in weight loss

Calorie restriction will damage metabolism: a calorie deficit is required to lose weight

calories don't matter: calories do matter

Dairy causes inflammation in most people: dairy is a good source of fat and protein (just started my give up dairy for a month test)

Whenever an argument is presented, there is always a counterargument that follows. I am a bit perplexed over the issues and I have been trying to shed off some of that last belly fat in order to see that six pack underneath (there is a pretty solid outline forming, although padding is still present).

What's a guy to do?
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I think it's up to us as individuals to find our way through the contradictions and opinions. Like you, I refuse to give up bacon. I had pretty much given it up for years before PB. Never again. If I have to eliminate every other damned food on the planet, so be it!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I think you should quit trying to lose weight, and instead hit the gym, bulk up, and get stronger. That's what I'm doing.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

That's been the plan recently. I'm still combating some psychological demons regarding my weight, but I have been focusing on maintaining a solid training program.

I lift weights for 30 minutes three days a week, ride my bike everywhere sprint, and just stay active in general (I work at a summer camp so playing kickball and soccer with kids is a great way to work and get a workout at the same time).

I'm still concerned about losing weight due to those psychological ills I still maintain. Its easier said than done to just 'get over it' and they may never fully leave.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    That's been the plan recently. I'm still combating some psychological demons regarding my weight, but I have been focusing on maintaining a solid training program.

I lift weights for 30 minutes three days a week, ride my bike everywhere sprint, and just stay active in general (I work at a summer camp so playing kickball and soccer with kids is a great way to work and get a workout at the same time).

I'm still concerned about losing weight due to those psychological ills I still maintain. Its easier said than done to just 'get over it' and they may never fully leave.
    Definitely. I get depressed when I look in the mirror and see how much muscle I lost and how much fat I retained... I really wanted to get this out of the way before I start bulking again, but ah, fuck it. I lost too much time already.

How is your omega 6 - omega 3 intake by the way? It's the only damn thing I haven't tweaked in my diet. I'm going to be experimenting with it this week and see what that gives me... I'll let you know if there's any change.

Another thing - iodine. I've started eating seaweed for it. Supposedly it is crucial for your thyroid.

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Definitely. I get depressed when I look in the mirror and see how much muscle I lost and how much fat I retained... I really wanted to get this out of the way before I start bulking again, but ah, fuck it. I lost too much time already.

How is your omega 6 - omega 3 intake by the way? It's the only damn thing I haven't tweaked in my diet. I'm going to be experimenting with it this week and see what that gives me... I'll let you know if there's any change.

Another thing - iodine. I've started eating seaweed for it. Supposedly it is crucial for your thyroid.
    Interesting suggestion. I love seaweed. In fact, seaweed + salmon would be a great way to balance omega 3s and get iodine at the same time.

I've actually been addressing omega issues. I cut out nuts a while ago and have now been avoiding dairy to see what that does. I also take salmon oil pills every night. Hopefully that kicks in sometime soon.

I know that feeling of looking in the mirror. It sucks: after all the hard work that you put into your life the results are not as dramatic as you would hope
    --

I suggest you get some liquid fish oil. Going to have to reorder some more soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-Finest...7265103&sr=8-1

If you keep your O6 to less than 5 grams a day, and take just one tablespoon of oil, (4.8 grams of O3, very hard to get that amount in pills) you basically have 1:1. And you can look for cheap wild sardines canned in water (olive oil has O6) and eat tons of that.

I just looked your picture on your log. You have no apparent weight to lose, so don't stress it.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    ^ Olive oil actually contains little O6, it shouldn't offset the balance unless you drink it by the pint. Sunflower oil is much more of a problem, and unfortunately this is what sardines usually come with in my local stores.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    ^ Olive oil actually contains little O6
    It depends. O6 in Olive oil can vary from 3.5% to 21%. So it can be bad, depending on which Olive oil you are consuming.

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/c...haracteristics

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    I've actually been addressing omega issues. I cut out nuts a while ago and have now been avoiding dairy to see what that does.
    Dairy contains very little PUFA < 4%. Even if it is all O6, its not going to be much unless you are eating a lot of it.

I believe that the ratio of O6:O3 is important when you consider the total consumption for the day. Ratio in individual elements does not matter.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast