Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody get really gagged out from the smell/taste of coconut oil? page

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member

Anybody get really gagged out from the smell/taste of coconut oil?

I am finding this to be increasingly annoying. It's the smell I think, I find that If I melt it down and drink it followed by cold seltzer I can get it down, but I really just don't enjoy the taste of it lately.... getting tired of smelling it too..... weird I know, but how do you all get around this if coconut is just not your thing.....

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Princess, you drink it? Well, I do like the taste, but I don't think I would enjoy drinking it either. I didn't realize people did that. I am enjoying a little bit in my coffee, and I'm using it to sautee things -- shrimp, vegetables, etc. I also made some delicious "truffles" using 1/2 coc. oil and 1/2 cocoa and a little bit of almond butter (stir well and put in fridge until solid) - wow, those were good (can't remember where I saw the recipes but prob. on here).

Could you try to incorporate into your foods so you don't taste it so much?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I know what you mean; the thought of eating it plain doesn't appeal to me at all, thanks mostly to the smell (and I love coconut)!

I use coconut oil to cook with, and I do like its flavor in foods. Sweet potato roasted in coconut oil and red pepper flakes = heaven. I also use coconut oil for stir fries, curries, etc.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Lol That reminds me of the Agent Smith line from the Matrix "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

I really like the smell of coconut oil. I really only use it to cook with, but if I didn't like the smell of it I'd move to EVOO I think.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    I know what you mean; the thought of eating it plain doesn't appeal to me at all, thanks mostly to the smell (and I love coconut)!

I use coconut oil to cook with, and I do like its flavor in foods. Sweet potato roasted in coconut oil and red pepper flakes = heaven. I also use coconut oil for stir fries, curries, etc.
    Exactly. I Like coconut too! I can handle it in baked goods, but to supplement with it, I really gotta work hard to get it down.... It makes me feel so much more full though than anything else, and I am really wanting to chip away at my belly pooch so I don't want to stop using it for That reason....somehow heating it to full oil takes some of the taste away for me.....

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    I love the taste and smell of coconut. Having said that, if you hate it you can try using processed oil instead. Look for brands that process coconut oil just by cooking it at low temperatures, getting rid of the flavor and odor.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessGrok View Post
    Exactly. I Like coconut too! I can handle it in baked goods, but to supplement with it, I really gotta work hard to get it down.... It makes me feel so much more full though than anything else, and I am really wanting to chip away at my belly pooch so I don't want to stop using it for That reason....somehow heating it to full oil takes some of the taste away for me.....
    I can't imagine any good reason to keep supplementing with it then. What about coconut milk or avocado if you need extra fat?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

When I heard people drank a spoonful for the benefits I tried it and totally gagged. Glad I'm not alone....was checking for weeks to see if mine was racid or something.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I add it to food I'm cooking.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    oh really. I don't want more than a teaspoon at a time anyway (too much and the guts complain) so I mix a teaspoon with a teaspoon of almond butter - yum! Sometimes with some shredded coconut and cocoa powder. But drinking warm coconut oil? Blech. Why turn a great food into medicine? Only eat it in contexts that are enjoyable, then the smell will be pleasing. You're practicing aversion therapy on yourself!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast