Thread: to supplement or not to supplement..... page

invino77 is offline Senior Member

to supplement or not to supplement.....

Primal Fuel
    so, I bought a potassium supplement and a vitamin d3/calcium combo. They are still sealed and I am having doubts about doing them. But, how can I get enough in my diet!? I have been having leg cramps...which i think is due to low potassium cause my magnesium is just fine. Any suggestions out there? I am worried I will be doing dammage by over supplementing.

I walk to work every day and so am out in the sun fro at least 30 minutes a day.

Why do we get vitamin.mineral deficiencieso nt eh primal diet> isnt it supposed to be better thant he SAD?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by invino77 View Post
    so, I bought a potassium supplement and a vitamin d3/calcium combo. They are still sealed and I am having doubts about doing them. But, how can I get enough in my diet!? I have been having leg cramps...which i think is due to low potassium cause my magnesium is just fine. Any suggestions out there? I am worried I will be doing dammage by over supplementing.

I walk to work every day and so am out in the sun fro at least 30 minutes a day.

Why do we get vitamin.mineral deficiencieso nt eh primal diet> isnt it supposed to be better thant he SAD?
    Because we're not eating a truly primal diet. To do so, we'd need to eat the entire animal - he entire animal rather than just muscle meat and occasional liver.

Please take the calcium/D back and get a plain D supplement and a plain calcium supplement. See today's heartscan blog post for information on D and calcium.

Normal blood levels of magnesium and potassium do NOT indicate sufficiency of either of these minerals as both exist mostly intracellularly. Our bodies will do whatever it takes to maintain normal blood levels, denying cells and cellular metabolism needed nutrients to do so. The fact that you were potassium deficient means the deficiency has gone to an extreme enough state that it's affecting your blood levels which is a very concerning thing indeed.

My links below may be helpful. Don't be alarmed by the amount of supplements I take - not everyone needs or should do what I do wrt supplementation.

Get 600ish mg magnesium (daily from all sources)
    Get 600ish mg calcium (daily from all sources)
    Get enough D daily to bring 25(OH)D levels up to 55-80 ng/mL (link below has testing information)

To get enough d from sun requires midday, *summer*, noonish, full body exposure to the point just before a burn would occur. As a fitzpatrick photoype III, that means about 25-30 minutes *per side* for me, at noon, daily. That's a lot of sun.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    According to mark we should eat lots and lots of veggies.

1 cup boiled spinach 839mg of potassium, 7g of carbs

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2627/2

A cup of carrots 410mg of potassium, 21 carbs

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2383/2

2 cups of tomato 670mg of potassium, 10 carbs

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2775/2

1 cup of coconut water 600mg of potassium, 9g of carbs

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/n...roducts/3115/2

I myself have a cup or two of yams or sweet potato every day in addition to the watery veggies. And actually meat does have potassium depending on the animal and cut, although probably not enough alone.

With regards to supplements, they're not such a big deal. I would rather take a supplement than eat nuts or be deficient in magnesium.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Kattanga is offline Junior Member
    It might also be worth tracking your food for a few days and plugging it all into fitday or cronometer (http://spaz.ca/cronometer/) to see if you really are deficient. It's not too hard to get everything you need way above RDA from just food. The only stuff you might need to supplement is fishoil and vitamin D depending on your lifestyle and fish intake/omega 6 intake. You can then adjust your diet to make sure your getting plenty of everything in the right ratios. Once you know what you should be eating and how much you don't need to worry about tracking it.
    Last edited by Kattanga; 06-22-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Alarming? What?

So I SHOULD take the potassium supplement? and take the D/calcium back and get just D?

Alarming? really?

Ok, just read teh hearscan blog: Here's a curious observation I've now witnessed a number of times: Some people who supplement this dose of calcium while also supplementing vitamin D sufficient to increase 25-hydroxy vitamin D blood levels to 60-70 ng/ml develop abnormally high levels of blood calcium, hypercalcemia.

This makes sense when you realize that intestinal absorption of calcium doubles or quadruples when vitamin D approaches desirable levels. Full restoration of vitamin D therefore causes a large quantity of calcium to be absorbed, more than you may need. In addition, two studies from New Zealand suggest that 1200-1300 mg calcium with vitamin D per day doubles heart attack risk.

the supplement I got provides a total of 500 mg of calcium and then the D as colcalciferol. Shoudl that be OK? I was about at 50% of where I should be on fit day with my food intake calcium.

thanks.

I am still struggling with the idea of the Alarming potassium issue....should i be scared?

Alarming? What?
    Too me, potassium deficiency on a regular blood test is alarming, it means that the deficiency through out tissue and cells has gone to an extreme degree....extreme enough that even though the body has removed as much potassium *from all other locations* it still doesn't have enough to maintain serum homeostatis.

I don't think you should take the supplements unless you're sure you have no underlying kidney disease. You can get plenty of potassium from produce....tomato products (sodium free) and purslane are the two best sources per calorie.

take the D/calcium back and get just D?
    yes. Any D will do as long as it's oil based. I happen to be partial do Nature's Answer d3 drops as it's just cholecalciferol and evoo. no gelatin, no nothing. I love it. but really, any are acceptable.

Kidney disease? Huh? I didnt have a blood test, I was just assuming my potassium was low due to the leg cramps....holy shit. I am scared out of my mind..kidney disease? What?

Kidney disease? Huh? I didnt have a blood test, I was just assuming my potassium was low due to the leg cramps....holy shit. I am scared out of my mind..kidney disease? What?
    okay. chill. Seriously.

I missed the leg cramp part and assumed that the deficiency was noted on a blood test.

your kidneys are fine. your body is just screaming for more potassium. Best to get it from food sources. it would take 30 potassium pills to even come close to the RDI and the RDI really isn't even what you want to shoot for - you want 2-4 mg K:kcal and 8-10 mg K:mg Na.

When I need to supplement potassium (and I do track it pretty closely), I use Now Potassium gluconate powder. iherb.com cheap. 1 tsp has 500ish mg potassium.

Don't take too much.....keep ratios in mind when dosing and you'll be fine.

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks. Ok, i will take back the d+calcium and the potassium, I guess I'll have to reallty up my tomato, banana and avocado intake. By the way, you go tme a bit scared with the kidney disease comment - so i gogled it...and now I am worried because one of the symptoms is getting up at night to pee - i have laways done this....shoudl I be worried? some nights no, some nights only once, and some nights, 3 times...anyone else out there experience thiss?