I ain't no Mr. Cool
    I'm a pig, I'm a dog
    So excuse me if I drool
    I ain't gonna hurt nobody
    Ain't gonna cause a scene
    Just need to admit
    That I want bacon with my breakfast
    Hear me (hear me) I want bacon with my breakfast!"

Those happen to be some lyrics to one of my favorite songs. I had to edited the part in red since it referred to wanting sugar in my tea. I think the ending is better now.

Well, my name says it all. I feel pretty old these days. Out of shape, disappointed, borderline depressed because of it. No pity party though, it is an easy fix with a little elbow grease.

Most people who look at me or know me (with my clothes on) would wonder why I was even here. When I tell them that I consider myself over weight that just laugh. When I tell them my weight, the next response is "you hide it well". Well, I am tired of hiding it well. I am tired of being out of shape and having my appearance hinder what I want to do.

I am tired of life getting in the way. I am slowly learning to deal with the stress that seems to come out of know where, routinely. I love my job, I love the challenges that come with it, but the stress. Wow! That is something else. I have prided myself with handling stress so well in the past. As I get older, I find the energy and strength is just not there anymore. Of course, when I get stressed I reach for my vice. That happens to be junk food. I get home, exhausted and I never want to cook. So, I pick up crap to make things easier. Well, easy has had an incredible impact on my life over the last year. I have put on 28 lbs. I feel awful. I am so cranky, never look at myself on the mirror. So I figured it is time to deal with this mess I have found myself in.

I have dabbled in Paleo before and have enjoyed it. I loved my brown rice, and it was hard to give up but in the end I did not miss it. Once "Stella" found his groove, things fell into place easy. I am one of those people that once they get a head of steam up it's hard to slow down the train. But, the same goes for when the train comes off the tracks. It is an incredible crash. Hence the 28 lbs gain.

Looking ahead for the future, I know I have to do this for myself and my son. He is an incredibly energetic kid who is involved in all sports and the highest of levels. Reminds me of when I was younger. Now here I sit, fat and out of shape. Not leading by a good example. We have decided to do a road race for Fathers Day this year. We are doing 5km. Funny, such a small number compared to my past when I was running up to 20km. I guess we have to start somewhere. Looking forward to the challenge of getting back in shape for the future. More challenges lie ahead for sure, but at this time it's one step at a time.

Good luck to all those of you who are pursuing your goals out here.

Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 202.6 lbs - Feb. 23, 2014

Goal weight: 175 lbs.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Welcome over the hill.

You're 3 years older and an inch taller than I am.

I've been eating paleo/primal since 2008 and have never felt better.

You can do it too
    Last edited by Misabi; 02-23-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

over.the.hill is offline Junior Member
    Day #1

Well, looks like Day #1 is officially in the books. Two weeks ago I thought about doing cold turkey, and not the protein type. But I waded in slowly as I had some previous engagements and I knew the food would not be the best. I actually maintained Paleo about 80% of the time so it makes this week that much easier to kick the tar out of it.

I took my measurements, and for some reason all I could hear in my mind was the song "Tradegy" by the Bee Gees I also took a couple of pictures to capture the beginning of my odyssey. I will post them in 30 days with a new set as well for a little bit of a comparison. Not to fond of watching numbers on the scale right now, so I am thinking every two weeks I will be doing a weigh in.

I have maintained the gym portion pretty good. I am averaging about an hour of cardio most days. My Fitbit Force really helps me along. I strive (pardon the pun) for 12,000 steps a day. I find that its not too bad reaching that milestone so I will be adjusting it in a couple of weeks. I just want to make sure I maintain my energy level first before pushing myself a little harder.

Over all, energy levels are good and my mood is pretty pleasant. With all the water I am drinking, I am thinking about challenging a camel to a peeing contest. Good thing I enjoy water :-)
    SW: 204.6 lbs - August 18, 2014
    CW: 204.6 lbs
    GW: 175.0 lbs

Stomach: 42"

The Good Life...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread102605.html

Day #7

Rolling, rolling, rolling... settled in quite easy to my first week of full paleo. With commitment, healthy choices and exercise come rewards. I am down 7.1 lbs in the first week. I am pretty happy with those results. I have great output in the gym and do not feel tired throughout the day. I think I have found a great balance right now for calories, protein, fat and carbs. Looking forward to next week.

The Good Life...

Day #14

Still going pretty strong. Down 3.1 lbs this week. Not as much as I would have liked, but not complaining. My energy levels are very high right now. Doing the gym, mostly cardio 6 times a week with ease.

Really back into the cooking groove. Found some cool recipes. Made Roasted Tomato and Bacon soup this week as well as Jerk Chicken. Both prepared in a crock pot. This is nothing to new to me with regards to soup. I have never done this with drumsticks though. The chicken just melted off in my mouth every time I took a bite. I am use to doing Jerk chicken on the BBQ.

Looking forward to seeing the results this upcoming week brings. Really in a groove now so it is very easy to keep the momentum up.

The Good Life...

Guess whose back, back again…
    Back for Bacon!
    Not So Slim, back again, soon to be trim!

If you cannot poke fun at yourself, who can you poke fun at? The Bears! Go ahead, I dare you.
    Well, time to try again, with a little more conviction and determination. I have methodically turned my temple into ruins. Time to heel, regroup and kick some serious ass.

I could list lots of excuses as to why I fell off the train, but at the end of the day they do not matter. What matters is where you go from there. I saw a great quote the other day, “Failure is not falling down, it’s not getting back up!” So, time to rise and mount that Steed.

I have had success in the past following the Paleo lifestyle and rather enjoyed it. This time around, I think the results come a little slower as mobility is a big issue these days. Saw a physiotherapist about my feet so that is a step in the right direction, pardon the pun! Ha, I kill me! They say weight loose is 80%, 10% exercise, 5% sleep and 5% stress. So, just eat healthy and we are off to the races.

I do have to say though, I did lose 137 lbs once in 6 months! The down side, it was a costly divorce
    Look forward to reading all your journey’s out here.

OTH

The Good Life...

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Funny 'bout that 137 loss, Over the Hill. Primal is forgiving, just get back on board and work on it. Be cautious of your prior really big losses in a short time, expect to average out no more than 2 lbs/wk. If you drop lots the first few weeks, be prepared to plateau out for a while. Use that tape measure. Hopefully you will continue to feel better as you get going again. 'Tis a marathon, not a sprint.