Thread: Different susage types? page

Eamon is offline Junior Member

Different susage types?

I'm not talking about Hebrew Nats, baloney, or Oscare Meyer this 'n that.
    I'm talking about Sopressata, Pancetta, different salamis, traditional and dry-cured sausages in general.
    There seems to be some disagreement on the subject of cured sausages, nitrites/nitrates in particular. I'm certain that I'm not the only one who finds uncured bacon to 'not quite right' and lives with the nitrites.

Question, though, is what about the dry-cured sort? The ingredients that I see look like: pork, spices, culture starter, and I can't see anything questionable there. People making this sort of stuff aren't using slaughterhouse sweepings, so that's not an issue.
    In the same vein, there is some awfully good hot-cured and even some smoked sausage from people who take it very seriously. No 'pork products' to be found here, at least not in anything I'm willing to eat.

I haven't been able to find a discussion thread on the different types of sausage, and so I ask. As long as the ingredients make muster, are there any tremendous problems here? Someone else mentioned that sausages were their downfall, and I must plead guilty as well.

Scrapple is a category of it's own.

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ive been buying Uncured spicy sausage from whole foods with those same ingredients, pork spices starter culture. i feel like its pretty good stuff, no heartburn or digestion issues. i just heat it up with my bacon and throw it into the eggs.