Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devils advocate page 2

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    So what have we learned from this? That you can eat traditionally prepared grains and be healthier than people on the SAD. Every day I learn a little more
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    @Stabby: Indeed.
    Arguments like "You can pull off eating X or Y becasue they don't interfere with thriving/longevity" are getting boring
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SerialSinner View Post
    @Stabby: Indeed.
    Arguments like "You can pull off eating X or Y becasue they don't interfere with thriving/longevity" are getting boring
    Stabby and SerialSinner: Exactly.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SerialSinner View Post
    I am more inclined towards thinking that Okinawan's longevity is more linked to Caloric Restriction rather than the composition of their diet.
    The Wikipedia article says their diet is particularly rich in sweet potatoes. Who wrote the pdf file? You know there are all sorts of PC versions of the Mediterranean and Okinawan diet floating around. I linked to an actual scientific paper.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    I think the overall question is important. Do carbs affect ones longevity a la Rosedale, or is it fructose/wheat that are the real culprits? I mean, steak is great and all, but potatoes are yummy too...

couch handy is offline Junior Member
    I tend to agree with the Inuit that vegetation in general is not fit for human consumption. Broccoli is indeed a vile weed. Interesting study on ketogenic diet, carbs and the fat/protein ratios in the traditional Inuit diet.
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I lived in Okinawa and, from what I saw, their diet had decidedly less rice and pasta than other Asian cuisines. But, if we're examining their current diet, I assume you'd find a lot more crap. And, of note, their longevity is also decreasing.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Primal Dave is offline Member
    I think the issue with comparing cultures is, as roszka alludes to, is the "Paul Harvey" of it all. For example, the French. They eat a TON of grains (breads) and alcohol, etc...but they also eat about a 10th of the sugar that Americans do (I don't have the citation here, but I can look for it), don't shy away from fats & oils, walk/ride bikes a lot (cause it's so dang expensive to drive there), have famously shorter workweeks, and the lower stress "European" lifestyle.... So, in my mind, they are halfway along the battle - they might still have grains, but they don't have all the processed sugar, or at least not nearly as much as the average American/Aussie/Canadian/Briton. I know these are broad generalizations, but work with me on this - looked at another way, the "typical" European lifestyle has more of the Primal Laws than a lot of Americans...which to me is a good indicator that Mark and the PB are really, really on to something and also that the 10 laws aren't necessarily in rank order...that the more of the laws one incorporates into life, the better off they will be...maybe the majic number really is 80% of the laws 80% of the time... :-)
    “Whatever you hold in your mind will tend to occur in your life. If you continue to believe as you have always believed, you will continue to act as you have always acted. If you continue to act as you have always acted, you will continue to get what you have always gotten. If you want different results in your life or your work, all you have to do is change your mind.” Unknown

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Dave View Post
    I think the issue with comparing cultures is, as roszka alludes to, is the "Paul Harvey" of it all. For example, the French. They eat a TON of grains (breads) and alcohol, etc
    but they really don't. While bread and alcohol are important parts of meals, overall, caloric intake especially irt grain products is very low. I've spent a lot of time in Florence, Italy over the last couple of years and am suprised every day by how little people actually eat. Even the ubiquitous pasta is measured prior to cooking to control portion sizes.

And both traditional french and italian diets are much closer to PB than one might think at just a glance.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    but they really don't. While bread and alcohol are important parts of meals, overall, caloric intake especially irt grain products is very low. I've spent a lot of time in Florence, Italy over the last couple of years and am suprised every day by how little people actually eat. Even the ubiquitous pasta is measured prior to cooking to control portion sizes.

And both traditional french and italian diets are much closer to PB than one might think at just a glance.
    100% agree with that! I went to a french restaurant the other day and the menu had no grains legumes etc. Filled with meat fish a few vegetables and fatty sauces or butter.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast