Thread: Going against the grain (literally) page

chilcotingirl is offline Junior Member

Going against the grain (literally)

Shop Now
    This is day 1 of my 21 day journey going primal. To tell you the truth I'm scared out of mind. This way of life goes against everything we have been taught in the last 30 years.
    Low fat/no fat, 5 servings of grains a day, dring your skim milk, high intensity aerobics, calories in/calories out... And I've done it all! At 41 years old I've seen and done everything in the book.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm relatively healthy, not obese (5'7, 152lbs) but in the last year (turning 40 sucked) everything has changed. My knees are a mess (ACL reconstruction coming back to haunt me, arthritis..) so the high impact aerobics, which I love, is out of the questions and I've gained 12 lbs.

I've done weight watchers, I've actually talked friends into going on weight watcher and THEY lost. In one case a friend lost 60lbs in 6 months, yay for her, nothing for me. I count, I watch, I weigh. Nothing has changed in the last year. Ugh.

So I started to search for answers. One of the ideas that could possible be the answer to well, life, is this Lepitin. I think it could possibly be a reason why things have gone awry in the last while. So, how do you change from Lepitin resistant to sensitive? Here we are. The Primal Blueprint. So now, I will try.Yet in the ever wise words of Yoda, Try? Do or do not, there is no try.

So, no grains, no sugar, I am going to eat 3 meals a day (suggested forthe Lepitin thing) and full fat, OMG. How am I going to add fat to everything when my brain is screaming DON'T DO IT!
    What if I gain weight? What if I'm FAT after 3 weeks, I'm scared to DEATH! but then again, the no fat thing hasn't worked. CONFUSED!

Oh, and I live in Northern Canada, it's -20 outside, there is NO WAY I'm going t get my natural Vitamin D through full exposure! haha, I'd literally freeze my a** off. So supplements it is.

And here I go. The one problem I have found with the Primal Blueprint Books ( I have read them) is the AMOUNT of actaul food to eat. Should I have 2 eggs or 4 for breakfast? Do I let my stomache tell me how much to eat? There isn't a very clear guide that I have found as to the portions. I know, maybe I need to get out of the portion idea nad just eat but lets face it, we all have a screwed up relationship with food and that's why we are here.

So if you'd like to join me on this quest for health, I'd love to here from you. I'm quirky, very honest (and people often don't like that) and I embarrass my kids every chance I get (sometimes even on purpose). If you ask me if you look fat in those jeans and you do, I will tell you that you look fat, and I expect the same from my friends. I HATE walking on eggshells around people, I don't have the time for stupid. And I am loyal, loving and I laugh at myself everyday.
    Join me on my journey, you never know what kind of rollercoaster you are going to get.
    Chilcotin girl (AKA, Julie)

Clarkie is offline Senior Member
    How's it goin' eh? Welcome from another Canuck! I am also freezing my a** off over here in southern Ontario and I totally agree that turning 40 sucked hard! (I'm 48) but the memories are still vivid, lol!
    With regard to how much to eat, I know it's freaky after years of measuring and counting points etc.etc. but basically just eat until you are satisfied. If 2 eggs will fill you up, great, if not eat 3 or 4. The first few days you might be hungry especially if you've been eating lots of grains and that's ok cuz if you're hungry EAT! Protein and fat is the best combination to fill you up.
    This site is a wealth of information. There are lots of great people here willing to help. Good Luck! Looking forward to hearing of your success!

Thanks Clarkie,

Day 2, we raise hound dogs. Woke up to the annoying bay of a couple pups re-enacting Call of the Wild, poorly. Oh well, up and at it!

Yesterday was pretty good.
    Breakfast: 3 eggs, onions, mushrooms, peppers.
    Lunch: some leftover eggs from breakfast and a Shakeology Shake (Does anyone else do Shakeology?)
    Dinner: Moose tenderloin (OMG , melt in your mount) and Veggies.
    Snack: apple

Not bad for a first day

SO I am very lucky in one way. We are hunters. (Central BC)
    I am hoping that this kind of group is not intolerant to hunting, considering that game meat is the ULTIMATE organic meat.

Moose, deer, elk, we even eat cougar. (I know sounds groos but it's just like pork, honest. I'll take a picture next time I make it)
    We eat the leanest meat in the world, I actually cook the meat with butter because it's so lean.
    So red meat is my go to, and it's cheap. You can't buy the stuff I eat. Farmed venison isn't even the same, they are still fed grains.

Also went for a 1 hour walk in the snow yesterday. but this isn't new. I live 3 hours from the closest city, so the great outdoors is my playground. I am actually outside a lot. I have 12 horses, 12 dogs, and an undetermined amount of cats.

Going back to the fact I'm 3 hours from a grocery store, sometimes I run out of fresh produce.

What are your thought on frozen or canned veggies? I've never liked canned veggies.

Today will be a good day...

Chilcotin girl.

Thanks Clarkie, I'll try to follow my instincts here.

So I posted a couple days ago but I guess I screwed up. Welcome to my technologically challenged life.

Living in the wolderness of BC definitely has its drawbacks but also so many advantages. We are hunters, therefore our freezer is always stocked with venison, moose and other tasty meats and I think that's a bout as primal as it comes.

I do however live 3 hours away from the closest grocery/produce store which makes fresh produce a bit of a problem. As, seasonal? yah, we don't even have a season for growing much of anything except potatoes... See my problem here? So I went to town on our big 6 hour round trip yesterday and bought $372 worth of produce, coconut oil, almond butter an dother stuff to make this journey doable. (Canadian groceries are WAY more expensive than USA)

My husband is on board with the 21 day challenge too. Which I am actaully a little suprised and thrilled about. SHould be interesting.
    But back to yesterday. I didn't have great meal options and we went to Tim Hortons on the way home for dinner. I had 1/2 a panini and I felt horrible the rest of the night, slept terrible and woke up feeling sluggish. I know that's bad but it's actually good for me! Now I know the effects that the grains were having on me.
    So onways to a brighter future!!!!!
    Julie