Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural sleep remedies? page

Natural sleep remedies?

Any insomniacs in here? I'm looking for some natural sleep remedies to help cure/alleviate my insomnia. I really don't want to take any drugs unless absolutely necessary.

So far I have tried melatonin and valerian root. I guess melatonin gives me a bit sleepy feeling but nowhere enough to put me te sleep. The max dose I have tried is 6mg. Valerian root doesn't have any effect on me though I haven't really tried taking it over a longer period (which supposedly is needed for its full potential). Some also say magnesium helps to calm down but I don't notice anything.

So what else could I try? Does anyone have any experience on tryptophan? Or St. John's wort? I guess everything is worth a shot because this lack of sleep is really draining me down. Strict primal diet doesn't help much if you only have couple of hours to restore your body :/

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    i was taught in my bio psych class in college to never take melatonin as a supplement because it screws with your body's natural melatonin levels and get your sleep cycle more messed up than it was before you started taking it.
    what i like doing lately is soaking in a hot bath with epsom salt, dr. bronner's lavendar castille soap and then bathing with the lavendar bar soap and having a cup of chammomile sleepy time tea after.
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Have you eliminated all caffeine? I had one espresso or tea in the early morning for years thinking it didn't affect me, but turns out it did. Went totally decaf a few months ago and sleep improved tremendously. Other than that, make sure to sleep in a totally dark room. The herbs can help some but in my experience dropping the caffeine was far more important.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    You might try Natural Calm magnesium supplement. I'm not an insomniac, so don't have that sort of anecdotal, but since I've started taking it each night, my sleep quality has improved and I feel more rested.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Yeah I only drink caffeine in the morning but I guess it's worth a try to stop completely for a few days. Will be a pain the ass tho

Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    You might try Natural Calm magnesium supplement. I'm not an insomniac, so don't have that sort of anecdotal, but since I've started taking it each night, my sleep quality has improved and I feel more rested.
    As I said I have tried magnesium supplement, magnesium citrate to be exact (like Natural Calm brand seems to be).

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    do not take melatonin!! it will mess up your hormones

dont watch tv at least an hr before going to sleep
    try not to consume caffeine 6 hrs before bed (even soft drink...which you shouldnt be drinking anyways if your on the primal blueprint and in this forum)
    make sure your room is pitch black. i mean you shouldnt even see your hand in front of your face pitch black. if your alarm clock is facing you try turn it away or put it some place where you cant see it unless you need to get up and turn your head around to look.
    try sprinkle a little lavender essential oil into the rinse cycle of your sheets/pillow cases. lavender is supposed to be a pretty relaxing smell according to aromatherapy.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnregistering View Post
    As I said I have tried magnesium supplement, magnesium citrate to be exact (like Natural Calm brand seems to be).
    Sorry 'bout that. Guess that's what I get for scanning rather than reading.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

OK, a little update. I have now been trying St John's wort and tryptophan for about a month with no success. Also I have been taking niacin which should give a relaxing effect but it really doesn't. I also bought curtains especially designed for darkening the room so it's pretty pitch black now at nights. Doesn't help though. Giving up caffeine didn't help either.

Any other suggestions or is time for me to become a slave to the big Pharma?

jennf is offline Senior Member
    You may want to get your cortisol levels checked to see if that's a problem. My cortisol levels are low during the day, but rise up way too high in the early morning hours - so I have been waking up most nights around 2am and unable to get back to sleep. I've just started taking a supplement called Seriphos to help level out my cortisol and help me sleep.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Someone I know had the worst time sleeping until she bought a mask.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast