Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural sleep remedies? page 2

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jennf View Post
    You may want to get your cortisol levels checked to see if that's a problem. My cortisol levels are low during the day, but rise up way too high in the early morning hours - so I have been waking up most nights around 2am and unable to get back to sleep. I've just started taking a supplement called Seriphos to help level out my cortisol and help me sleep.
    Interesting jennf. I often have no problem getting to sleep but wake up in the middle of the night, wide awake, restless, cant get back to sleep for several hours! Could my cortisol levels suddenly decide to elevate in the middle of the night I wonder.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    If you're waking up between 1-3 am, that's classic liver imbalance in Chinese Medicine. I had a major insomniac bout a few years ago and acupuncture/Chinese herbs helped me tremendously, as did a sleep mask. I had results within about 3 weeks of starting acupuncture. It treats insomnia very individually.

Darthash is offline Senior Member
    I have trouble with insomnia, I have tried pretty much everything, atm I am drinking a tea called nighty night. it does help a bit, I am going to try a sleep mask as well, hopefully it will help

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    I've had good luck with Calms Forte. It was recommened by a friend and I usually take 3 at night. I think it works. I was honestly surprised it did. I've read good and bad reviews for it, though.

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    I have trouble falling asleep sometimes and what helps me is a little lavender oil. I put it on my temples and the smell relaxes me enough to pass out. I need it absolutely dark in the room too. No annoying lights from a DVR, alarm clock, Laptop, nothin.
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

kermie is offline Member
    Is it a racing mind that keeps you up at night? You are probably stressing yourself out and would benefit from trying some relaxation techniques and meditations. No tv/computer screens after sun down would help. I recommend reading I Can Make You Sleep by Paul McKenna.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    Interesting jennf. I often have no problem getting to sleep but wake up in the middle of the night, wide awake, restless, cant get back to sleep for several hours! Could my cortisol levels suddenly decide to elevate in the middle of the night I wonder.
    It's very possible. Your cortisol levels should drop in the evening, preparing for sleep. Towards early morning they rise again, preparing your body to wake up and face the day. If your cortisol rises to early, or by too much, it can cause problems with sleep. To give you an idea, when I had my 8am cortisol tested, the high end of the normal range was 19.1 for that lab. My level came in at 44.3! Obviously, way too much am cortisol.

It's certainly worth getting tested.

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    i was wondering if anyone has trouble waking up when they sleep with a sleeping mask on? i know that as the time changes or if it's unusually dark in the morning time i have a harder time waking up. i want to try a sleep mask but am worried that it would be impossible for me to roll out of the bed in the morning!
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    You may want to get your cortisol levels checked to see if that's a problem. My cortisol levels are low during the day, but rise up way too high in the early morning hours - so I have been waking up most nights around 2am and unable to get back to sleep. I've just started taking a supplement called Seriphos to help level out my cortisol and help me sleep.
    Thanks for the tip. I will look into it. I generally don't have trouble sleeping anymore but when I do these various remedies mentioned above do nothing for me. When I am wired and have to get some sleep, I take prescription Rozerem. (Yes, I read about the side effects. Never had them.) But if my cortisol levels are too high, I would rather address that.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    It's very possible. Your cortisol levels should drop in the evening, preparing for sleep. Towards early morning they rise again, preparing your body to wake up and face the day. If your cortisol rises to early, or by too much, it can cause problems with sleep. To give you an idea, when I had my 8am cortisol tested, the high end of the normal range was 19.1 for that lab. My level came in at 44.3! Obviously, way too much am cortisol.

It's certainly worth getting tested.
    How would they test my cortisol in the middle of the night though.... or are you saying it is the early morning test that provides the evidence of high cortisol levels?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast