Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I can't think of a catchy journal title but click here anyway. page

I can't think of a catchy journal title but click here anyway.

Primal Fuel
    Alright, here goes. I'm new to this, but that in itself is reason enough to compel me to start a journal. Hopefully it'll encourage me to stick with it.

I started this diet on the weekend of Feb. 8-9, 2014. My weight had been around 170 lbs (I'm 5'7") for the past ~9 months. For a brief time last winter and spring I had gotten up to 180 lbs, which was ridiculous. I had to buy new pairs of pants! I managed to take off 10 lbs. through a couple of simple diet changes, but have been stuck since about the summer. FYI I'm 49 y.o. as I write this. My goal is to get around 155 lbs - and stay there. Even 160 lbs. would be OK. If I could get to 150 lbs or less that would be great.

I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while, but my final impetus was when I was watching the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics and saw all these healthy, young people and I thought to myself, "Damn, I should look like that." I've been feeding my cat the feline equivalent of a (semi-) "primal" diet for about 4 years with pretty good results - hence the screen name. If it works for my cat, hopefully it'll work for me!

Anyway, I'm a creature of habit and have a fairly predictable weekly schedule, so I can predict what I'm going to eat through the course of a week with a high degree of accuracy. At this point I think I've got a good idea what I can and want to eat in an average week, but since I'm just two weeks into this, things can certainly change. Please offer critiques and suggestions on my feeding schedule below.

Monday-Thursday
    Breakfast - Or, should I say, "breakfast." I am almost never hungry in the morning, plus I like to sleep as late as I can get away with, leaving me little or no time to eat, so basically I never eat breakfast. The past 1+ weeks my "breakfast" has consisted of a 16 oz. breve latte (that's a latte made with half-and-half). Plus I usually add whipped cream. Before I started this I was getting a non-fat latte with a syrup (caramel, in case you've just got to know), but I've abandoned that arrangement, having learned the "fat is good, sugar is bad" mantra.

Mid-morning munchies - At work in the middle of the morning hunger *finally* starts to kick in a bit. I used to always have 1 or 2 Reece's peanut butter cups, but I've abandoned that in favor of some nuts. Plus I've been drinking extra tea to help satiate me.

Lunch - This has been the best part of my diet for some 5 years running. On Monday and Wednesday on my way to work I stop by a coffee shop who makes me this nice, custom salad which I bring to work and eat at lunch. They give me enough in the salad to last for 2 days. The salad has lettuce (dark and light), shredded carrots, red pepper slices, cantaloupe and sometimes pineapple, plus one or two other things which escape me at the moment. Over the past 1+ year I've had them give me olive oil for the dressing. Recently I asked them to put in strawberries when they have them. So that's my lunch 4 days a week. Until I started this diet I usually got a bag of chips (Sun Chips or Doritos) to finish off the lunch, but I've now stopped that. Evil carbs!

Dinner - This is going to be one or two pork chops, or a steak, or a chicken part and maybe an occasional fish, cooked in a frying pan or broiled. Plus a couple fried eggs and/or some boiled veggies (usually string beans and carrots mixed). It depends on how hungry I am. At night I used to drink a lot of (no sugar added) cranberry juice, but I've been informed that's not a good idea. I will now drink a combination of water and watered-down cranberry juice. I just like my cranberry juice! Sorry!

Friday
    Same as above, except for lunch. On Fridays I've used up my lunch salads, so I used to go to Wendy's and have a burger and fries. The past two weeks I've been going to Arby's instead and getting a plain large roast beef sandwich, with nothing else. I figure the buns on that will be some of my token carbs for the week. For dinner, since I didn't have my salad veggies for lunch I've been making sure I have extra string beans/carrots then.

Weekend
    This is an area I'm still quite unsure. I usually don't get up until sometime between 10 and noon, so breakfast is definitely not needed. On a typical weekend I finally get out of my house around noon, go to Starbucks, and (usually) don't eat until dinner. I'm still doing that, except I'm getting something different at Starbucks (same latte as during the week, I used to get a peppermint mocha), and for dinner I've been having something similar to my weekday dinners. But I'm definitely open to suggestions for this part of the week.

Anyway, for those brave souls who've had the patience to read this, thank you for reading it. Feel free to critique my diet, I'd be more than happy to hear suggestions.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    John, you have some good goals and have made a good start to following your Cat into a primal lifestyle.

I wonder if you can get some protein into your lunch salad - some chicken or eggs or tuna maybe? as for Fridays, IMO you will get even more benefits if you don't eat the bread, just go for the beef and whatever veges there may be. Carbs per se are not bad, but grains (esp wheat) can be tougher on the digestion than you realise until you cut them out. Or at least that was my experience, I just felt soooo much better without bread that it took me by surprise.

Weekends would be a good time to learn to cook some primal treats. For a weekend brunch I would recommend eggs. You could make omelette, primal banana pancakes, or fried bacon and eggs.

Good luck on your journey.

^
    Funny you should ask that. When I picked up my salad on Wednesday and told the girl who makes it about my new diet (I had to explain my new regular coffee drink), she told me she could put little strips of chicken in my salad if I wanted her to. So I told her yes, that would be a good idea. It would also fill me up a bit more and reduce my urges for the chips after I finish lunch.

Two Fridays ago when I got the roast beef at Arby's I only ate one of the two buns. Maybe I'll do that regularly? I typically eat it in my car after I leave the drive-through so it's gotta be something I can eat that way. I might try just eating the beef but that could be a little awkward while driving!

Anyway thanks for the input. I just weighed myself and I'm down to 165 lbs!

I cheated today and had a peppermint mocha at Starbucks. Oh well.

On the other hand I bought 4 lbs. of bulk nuts at the supermarket - 3 lbs. of almonds and 1 lb. of walnuts. Also bought a container for them and will use them as munchies at work.

It's official: Eating an Arby's roast beef sandwich in my car without at least one of the buns is much too difficult and messy, so Friday on lunch is going to be a "cheating" meal.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Sliced cheese makes a neat and tasty roast beef wrap.

Good luck with your goals. And cute kitty!

Sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately Arby's doesn't sell plain sliced cheese, and it would be a pain for me to keep it at work, and bring it with me when I go to Arby's.

Sometimes strict diets can be inconvenient, I guess.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    John, any chance of taking some boiled eggs and cold cooked meat to work ????
    I make DH scroggin as well, just so he can snack healthily during his day in the car. My scroggin includes dark chocolate, cashews, dried fruit, almonds etc...
    good luck. You have made a great start
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

^
    The only day where lunch is an issue at work is on Fridays. I dunno, is one meal a week worth worrying about? With my new routine, the only thing that breaks the diet is two hamburger-type buns holding my roast beef sandwich together on Fridays. Maybe I should work on that anyway, but a little voice in my head tells me it's not a big deal.

I've already stocked a big cannister of nuts at my desk (mostly almonds with some walnuts). I've also started eating more dark chocolate, and have gotten good at reducing and even eliminating the cranberry juice at night. Haven't had any cranberry juice in two days now.

The last issue I'm still working on is, after lunch on Mon-Thurs I still feel a little hungry, as the salad I have doesn't quite satisfy me. I've cheated a couple days and had a Klondike ice cream bar. It's got sugar, but at least it's also got fat in the ice cream. I could munch on more nuts, but those are dry and after lunch I just feel like having something with a bit more moisture.
    Last edited by JohnAndHisCat; 03-01-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hmm. And according to these folks here ice cream isn't even all that bad.

EDIT: However, I just looked at the ingredients list of the Klondike ice cream bar that I've eaten, and let's just say it's not high-quality stuff, lol!
    Last edited by JohnAndHisCat; 03-01-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast