Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting fail page

elwyne is offline Senior Member

Fasting fail

Shop Now
    I tried a teeny-tiny IF today - skipped breakfast. After the initial hunger passed I felt fine - for a couple of hours. Then I just started feeling slow and weak. Since I'm at work I can't go non-functional, so I ate some yogurt, fruit, and almonds, and I STILL feel slow and weak.
    Is this normal? Am I not yet ready for IF? (Only primal about a month and haven't been really strict.) Would I be feeling better now if I'd broken that fast with more protein?

Some friends are doing the master cleanse and I am totally jealous of their ability to not eat for a week.
    Any input??
    Thanks!!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I believe fasting is ridiculously difficult when not in ketosis or at least highly keto adapted. Even after establishing ketosis there seems to be a period of time where kicking sugar/carb addiction generates serious food cravings, then there's the possibility of carb flu making matters difficult. I think Master Cleanse is foolish and I wouldn't be jealous of anyone deliberately destroying gut flora. They are taking serious metabolic risks, imo.

Getting conditioned to fasting requires some will power. You sound like you may be suffering carb withdrawals. Keep lowering them, eat a big vlc dinner high in fats, and maybe have a late night snack, and try again. It will get easier.

jack g is offline Member
    I agree w/ Grol. But, also wanted to add that there is a large mental component to fasting. If you get pre-occupied w/ being hungry, it will be very difficult to fast and you'll probably over exaggerate how you feel. Try to stay busy, really busy.

Go w/ what Grol said. Have a good dinner and snack, then give it another go (when you're ready). But, tell yourself that come hell or high water you will not eat until Noon or whatever time marks the 16 hour point. Once you make it to that point successfully, you realize you won't drop dead from skipping a meal. That can be a liberating feeling.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    +1 You just need to realize that your body doesn't really need food and not to let your feelings get in the way of what you are trying to do. Fasting will teach you the meaning of hunger to your mind and body separately. It takes time to get used to though.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    thanks all! very helpful!! I am not even close to ketosis I think. I will try again another time w/ more focus & better pre-fast diet.

I'm interested in what grol says about master cleanse and destroying gut flora??? is that what happens??

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Well, since learning a bit about the needs of gut flora at Cooling Inflammation and Whole Health Source, I sure cannot see how a diet of maple syrup, lemons and cayenne can support it. When you read the forums they are all told the diarrhea is perfectly normal cleansing. Reading Dr. Ayers pretty much assures me that anything that creates lasting diarrhea is killing off good flora (and hopefully bad too). In the MC communities you will even read about the need to resupply gut flora after a cleanse. Dangerous. I did one ten day MC and thought it was disgusting. I enjoyed a few juice fasts that gave all the easy fasting benefits of MC, but none of the side effects. These fasts are easy because they are loaded with sugar and that stops cravings. Not healthy, but hey, it's a fast and having the runs for days must mean something good is happening.

Btw, it was after sugar fueled extended fast dieting that metabolic syndrome appeared and I was diagnosed pre-diabetic. The yo yo of that type of unsustainable eating can mess you up. Beyonce gained it all back. If she would only listen to me.

Ali
    Ali is offline Member
    Don't worry about it. There have been planned fast days where I couldn't continue for one reason or another. Also I read an article over on the IF Life that advises not to fast if you are going to be stressed, the two don't mix and I agree.

I also agree with staying really busy. This is why I would never fast on a weekend...way too much time to think about food.

Try doing one more hour each time. I did several 16 hour fasts before moving to 20 and now 24.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    If you're used to riding the glucose rollercoaster all day long, it may take you a while to ease into IF. Start by skipping meals and just going as long as you can. Soon you'll be able to do it for 24 hours!
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

dcoffill is offline Junior Member
    I made it 20 hours today and caved , i really wanted to hit 24!! I guess i'll try again next week...at least i caved with mark's omlette muffin recipe rather then junk!! By the way those are the most clever little things to have in your fridge!! Good luck on your next attempt!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i think you need to understand you DID fast.... did you have different expectations? were you trying to live up to someone elses fast? if you decided to go until you needed food, then according to your description you did....theres no fail in that, eat when hungry stop when full...when youre not eating youre fasting. dont try to live up to a certain perspective of fasting. if you fast 8 hours then thats your fast. if you fast 24 hours b/c you think thats right then good for you too.

i think you did well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast