Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal - GeriMorgan page

GeriMorgan Guest

Well, I'm a bit late, but what better time to start than the present?

So as I stated, my goals are:

To reinstate my walking routine

To give up beans, sour cream, and mayonnaise

To never, ever eat a piece of bread

To invent the perfect Primal slushie (blackberry wine is marvelous, but underage drinking is not... next option.)

Add to that:

To actually take the time in the morning to prepare a proper veggie-and-protein breakfast

Day 1: Breakfast is a bust, according to above standards. Healthy, though. Had microwaved leftover chicken, a few nuts, and sliced strawberries with cream. Tasty food. First slushie experiment (well, third, if you want to be technical) scheduled for today. Also need to vacuum the floors.

GeriMorgan Guest

Update for Day 1: Ate more stuff. Bowl of spinach first. Later noshed some chicken, this time with cauliflower and Romano cheese. Had some shredded frozen apricot to ward off the overwhelming heat. BLT's for dinner - no bread on mine, did use mayonnaise. (Yeah, yeah. I'll give it up next week? Seriously, though, there's something about a BLT that needs the mayonnaise flavor.) Still hungry, so noshed a couple of ounces of cheese (I think). Had a cup of hot chocolate somewhere in there, too.

I seem to be eating a lot lately. I think it's the heat.

No walking, unfortunately - too hot in the afternoon, and evening brought a huge windstorm that's kept everyone housebound.

GeriMorgan Guest

Bit of a late report on Day 2.

Breakfast: Cup of coffee (with cream), half a grapefruit. An hour or so later, topped off with scrambled eggs with onions and green peppers. (Honestly, I think I ate more than I do for dinner.)

Lunch: Leftovers - chicken with crookneck squash and spinach. Had butter on the veggies. Dairy products are my indulgence.

Snack: ('Cause, srsly, I eat lunch and dinner 5-6 hours apart.) A small peach and a handful of soy nuts.

Dinner: T-bone steak with Brussels sprouts and a few green beans. Ixnayed on the steamed corn.

Shaved Ice Attempt #1: Plain, no flavoring. Tasted like the towel I used to hold the ice while I broke it. Poured Kahlua-flavored syrup on it; tasted marginally better. Perfection not achieved.

Walking: Much better than the day before. Made the trip to the mailbox (about half a mile for the round-trip) twice.

GeriMorgan Guest

Recap for Day 3:

Wow... I can't believe I've been doing this for three days already. Time flies when you're not doing a bunch of things you're supposed to be doing.

Anyway, breakfast: Coffee, a couple of small peaches (itty-bitty guys, really), three scrambled eggs. Need to do something about this eating thing.

Lunch: Didn't end up eating lunch until about three-thirty, so I didn't want to overstuff. Stir-fried celery, onions, and zucchini with one egg.

I lasted okay (so I just need to eat less and keep myself busy, hmm) but by eight o'clock (when we had dinner) I was quite hungry. For dinner: Homemade chili; picked out the beans. My dear mother, had she noticed what I was doing, would undoubtedly have made some comment a la "Beans won't kill you, dear", but once I looked at the bowl of beans that I picked out I was glad I had - there was nearly a cup in there.

Shaved ice: Chopped up some frozen apricot and tossed some cream on it. Tasty, but a little weird, and too much potential for sneaky calories (cream is vicious that way). Perfection not achieved.

Walking: Had a good 30-minute walk with the little brother. Also, on an unrelated note, played a short game of one-man frisbee. Fun game; will include that in my workout video.

GeriMorgan Guest

Well, Day 4 has been something different...

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with celery, onion, and purslane. Went with only two eggs this time, which didn't cut it. Turns out the "big breakfast" I normally eat isn't so calorie-laden - in fact, it's lighter than the egg-and-sausage breakfast I used to consume.

Snack: Cup of hot chocolate (cream, cocoa powder, a bit of Sugar Twin - great stuff).

Snack (didn't have time for lunch, so had to grab this): Ounce of Pepper Jack and a peach. Tasty peach.

A couple of hours later, I was hungry again, so "lunch": chili, mostly without beans. (I had neither the time nor the inclination to remove all of them; I took out about two-thirds of the total.)

Snack (again): link sausages.

That finally filled me for a decent amount of time. It's rather odd - if my breakfast doesn't cover it, I can spend the rest of the day trying to make up for it. Then, after eating roughly once an hour for a few hours, I finally get full.

Didn't cover the whole evening, though, so dinner: beef wieners (no bread, bit of mustard), spinach, and a bit of green beans, both with butter. Topped off with another cup of hot chocolate.

I should note at this point that my eating habits usually don't reach this level of laziness. I spent all afternoon helping my mother to clean out our pantry and no one really had time to cook, plus we ran out of eggs.

Walking: Didn't do a lot of walking. Cleaned the pantry, as stated, then played a short game of indoor Frisbee (practicing for video) and tested some of my home-made weights. (Note: mayonnaise jugs do not make good kettlebells. The handle insides scrape one's knuckles.) Went outside for a bit, meandered around (mostly to keep my knees from getting stiff), then did some push-ups and hefted a tire. Tires are not for the faint of heart, and I'm not sure they're for the terminally wimpy, either. Fun, though. Then I came back and played with my not-kettlebell for a bit longer, because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Shaved ice: Too cold for shaved ice today. Rained all day.

GeriMorgan Guest

Today, it hurts just to move (which, I admit, is what I was expecting). Not only are my arms, chest, and thighs insanely sore, but I'm suffering from general muscle fatigue that makes any movement more difficult. I'm thinking I overdid it yesterday.

Breakfast: A peach, a cup of coffee (with cream, as always), fried summer squash, and a hamburger with fried onions and a bit of mustard (since we were out of eggs).

Snack: Peach popsicle (my brother's invention; basically half of a peach frozen onto a stick).

Snack (lunch was late): A few handfuls of trail mix - almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashews, white raisins, and cranberry raisins.

Lunch: Filling from a couple of Taco Del Mar tacos.

Dinner: A bleu cheese Black Angus patty (the really expensive, tasty kind from Costco) with sliced tomato on fried veggies (squash, cabbage, onions, and mushrooms, I believe).

Walking: Went grocery shopping, which pretty much covers my walking needs. It hurt. A lot.

Shaved ice: None. Cold and rainy all day.

GeriMorgan Guest

It still hurt to move a lot today, so I loafed as much as possible. I've been feeling better this evening, though, so I should be fine tomorrow. Looking forward to trying my sprinting track.

I didn't write anything down today, so let's see how well I recall from memory:

Breakfast: Coffee, a peach, some walnuts; a bit later, scrambled eggs with onion and cabbage.

Snack (being lazy, I didn't bother to make any lunch): A quarter of a leftover Black Angus patty and some nuts.

Snack: A cup of hot chocolate and some fried squash.

Dinner: Roast turkey (with stale grease... tasty), fried squash, and microwaved cauliflower (also substandard).

Dessert: Sliced strawberries with cream.

Shaved ice: Still no motivation to attempt. Will resume when hotter.

Walking: Too sore. Blew off walking in favor of a less strenuous(!) exercise: weeding and de-bugging the garden. Removed several pillbugs and slugs. The chickens were very happy with these.

GeriMorgan Guest

Much less sore today, but still a bit achy, so I decided to hold off on sprinting another day.

Breakfast: Coffee, scrambled eggs with chopped cabbage, canned mushrooms, minced garlic, and a bit of Cheddar cheese. Honestly, I think it would have been better without the cheese.

Snack: Quarter of a leftover Black Angus patty. Yep... that one just kept on giving.

Lunch: Chard and carrot salad topped with turkey and Litehouse bleu cheese dressing. (Only the best stuff for my indulgences.)

Snack/Shaved Ice: Popped some frozen strawberries into the ice shaver, shaved, and topped with some cream. Still the best shaved ice derivative I've come up with so far.

Dinner: Beef (got the bone, with all the hormone-laden fat and calcium-rich marrow intact), broccoli & cauliflower mix with more bleu cheese (awesome stuff).

Snack: A few nuts to ward off potential Charlie horses.

Walking: Several rounds over a dirty lump at the back of the yard (it's a fairly large lump), walked most of the way to the driveway (roundtrip is a half-mile if I go the whole way), played a short game of one-man indoor Frisbee.

Protip: If playing one-man indoor Frisbee, do not do what I did and lose your mayonnaise lid behind the furniture. This is the only way possible to actually lose at this game.

pellegrina is offline Junior Member

Geri, your journal reads like Bridget Jones' Diary--you were cracking me up! Please keep it up, I'm on the edge of my seat to see of you actually achieve shaved ice perfection.

GeriMorgan Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

So, here we go... I'm tired today.

Breakfast: Coffee, some walnuts, a peach, and a bowl of chili (beans extracted) with some Pepper Jack cheese.

Snack: A handful of nuts.

Lunch: Turkey with some spinach and broccoli-cauliflower mix on the side. Bleu cheese dressing on the turkey and B&C; I think I need to lay off this stuff.

Snack: A peach. It was a mercy killing. I think I ate something else as well, but I can't remember.

Dinner: Bratwurst sausage (thought I'd indulge, but it wasn't worth it - the stuff tasted like plastic) and salad with more bleu cheese.

Walking: Not much walking done. Went fishing, meandered around a bit, came back, walked part of the driveway, then finished my sprinting track. (No time to try it out. I need to spend a little less time reading comics and more time on exercise.)

Shaved ice: Nothing. Too busy, and not just reading comics.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast