Thread: Best primal remedy/shampoo for dry scalp/dandruff? page

guitarfan85 is offline Senior Member

Best primal remedy/shampoo for dry scalp/dandruff?

Primal Fuel
    I have a very dry scalp and produce a lot of dandruff. I tried putting a little bit of coconut oil in my hair/scalp, just a little bit. And it made my hair look greasy so I stopped using it. I applied it when my hair was dry.

Someone reccomended some tea tree brand shampoo but its too expensive and has a laundry list of chemicals in it.

Can anyone reccomend a remedy? Should I also be using conditioner? Should I buy certain types of oils?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Yes, this is going to sound contrary to everything you've ever heard, but I spoke to a naturopathic physician about my dandruff at one point, and he told me it is very often caused by an autoimmune reaction occurring in the hair follicles. So, YMMV but going on a diet designed to address autoimmune conditions may be of benefit.

Also, I have found that washing LESS and not more kept my hair in great shape. 'Pooing all the time (even with natural shampoos) is a great way to ensure that your hair and scalp stays dry. Try not washing it for a while and see what happens. I very rarely get complaints about my hair smelling or looking greasy/dirty. I actually got that MORE when I was washing daily.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 02-20-2014 at 05:14 PM.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

What diet are you specifically talking about? I don't eat junk food. I eat good amounts of saturated fats and protein, some carbs. Some fruits and veggies. So I think I'm relatively healthy.

Could it be in the way I take my shower? I stand with back with my back to the water. I stand so the water is constantly beating the back of my head.....or at least most of the duration. Could it be caused by hot water that's making my scalp dry? My skin is dry too particularly my arms. Could it be the fluoride and chlorine in the water? That can't be because it doesn't happen to everyone else.

I'll try washing less. My mother always tell me I had oily hair, maybe that was true when I was younger but now myscalp is dry.

In short, it seems my skin has been dry in both dieting and not-dieting periods.in the last couple years.

YMMV??
    Last edited by guitarfan85; 02-20-2014 at 06:45 PM.

miata is online now Senior Member
    Diet can be a factor. I had dandruff my whole life, but it went away with my paleo diet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by guitarfan85 View Post
    What diet are you specifically talking about? I don't eat junk food. I eat good amounts of saturated fats and protein, some carbs. Some fruits and veggies. So I think I'm relatively healthy.

Could it be in the way I take my shower? I stand with back with my back to the water. I stand so the water is constantly beating the back of my head.....or at least most of the duration. Could it be caused by hot water that's making my scalp dry? My skin is dry too particularly my arms. Could it be the fluoride and chlorine in the water? That can't be because it doesn't happen to everyone else.

I'll try washing less. My mother always tell me I had oily hair, maybe that was true when I was younger but now myscalp is dry.

In short, it seems my skin has been dry in both dieting and not-dieting periods.in the last couple years.

YMMV??
    Your mileage may vary.

Also, there was a pretty large thread floating around the I&E forum on the topic of taking showers too frequently. You may want to read it. Also, get some good advice on more natural and "primal" shower techniques.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Your mileage may vary.

Also, there was a pretty large thread floating around the I&E forum on the topic of taking showers too frequently. You may want to read it. Also, get some good advice on more natural and "primal" shower techniques.
    Yes I am interested in those techniques. I just don't want to start a thread for every little nuance question I have when there may already be an existing thread. I'll try the search tool since I've never used it before.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarfan85 View Post
    Yes I am interested in those techniques. I just don't want to start a thread for every little nuance question I have when there may already be an existing thread. I'll try the search tool since I've never used it before.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread101295.html

Long story short, an article was linked which suggested maybe showering less was actually a good thing. Users then discussed not overdoing showers and more "natural" cleaning techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread101295.html

Long story short, an article was linked which suggested maybe showering less was actually a good thing. Users then discussed not overdoing showers and more "natural" cleaning techniques.
    Thanks!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I spent a month or so dealing with greasy hair and not using any shampoo at all, just a scalp rub and rinse every day in the shower. Now the oil levels in my hair are natural and balanced and consistent. I don't have oily hair like I thought I did, nor is it too dry. I've used shampoo twice in the past 4 years or so.

I find that upping my selenium intake is important for preventing dandruff, as well as avoiding too much junk food. Occasionally I'll rinse in apple cider vinegar, which cuts back drastically on the fungus that causes dandruff. This doesn't help much if my diet is out of line, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I find that upping my selenium intake is important for preventing dandruff, as well as avoiding too much junk food.
    Selenium is a key player in autoimmune conditions, which many people suspect dandruff to be a form of. Same goes for dropping junk foods and chemical additives.

So I am not surprised that both seem to have helped you.