Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat fat, burn stored fat? page

jrherring is offline Senior Member

Eat fat, burn stored fat?

Question to anyone who may read this...I'm about 30% + in body fat. If I eat fat and utilize that dietary fat for energy...how do I get my body to burn the existing fat that's got me all wrapped up? Am having a hard time wrapping my brain around how that's supposed to happen.

Am not afraid of protein, or eating fat, or keeping my carbs really low. All of which I find incredibly easy to do.

But, the math portion doesn't make sense. Eat fat, burn dietary fat. Not stored fat?.

Help me understand?

And yeah, I've read the book.

thx
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    i tihnk the idea is that once your body is used to running on fat it can make the switch between dietary/stored fat very easily.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I agree with MeatMe. The basic idea is to have your body burning fat for fuel (ketosis). You cannot burn 100% body fat for fuel for long so you up your dietary fat intake to add to the fuel tanks what's needed. This does flow into the idea that less calories is better for accessing the stored fat, and I happen to agree with that, but there's then a balancing act with needed protein and energy. Intermittent fasting seems to give me several hours of body fat burning daily (nightly as I sleep too), along with the needed dietary fuel to keep things going with good energy.

groquette is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the simplified version is this: If carbs are not present, your body activates some alternate pathways that involve burning fatty acids for fuel. But you still have to eat, so you eat stuff that doesn't have the carbs so you can keep burning fuel metabolically. You will be less hungry because the fatty acids from your fat cells will be flowing into the blood so it's quite likely that you will eat quite a bit below your caloric needs. Notice that "you'll be less hungry because you're losing weight" not "you'll be losing weight because you're less hungry".

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    YOu will only dip into your fat stores if you have a caloric deficit. Otherwise your body is going to keep burning only the dietary fat.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by groquette View Post
    Yes, the simplified version is this: If carbs are not present, your body activates some alternate pathways that involve burning fatty acids for fuel. But you still have to eat, so you eat stuff that doesn't have the carbs so you can keep burning fuel metabolically. You will be less hungry because the fatty acids from your fat cells will be flowing into the blood so it's quite likely that you will eat quite a bit below your caloric needs. Notice that "you'll be less hungry because you're losing weight" not "you'll be losing weight because you're less hungry".
    Does this mean that you only eat foods that are zero carbs? Like meat and fat? No vegetables?

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    YOu will only dip into your fat stores if you have a caloric deficit. Otherwise your body is going to keep burning only the dietary fat.
    So if I eat 1200 calories of zero carb foods then I will lose weight? (5'3" woman over 350 pounds)

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    If metabolic rate isn't fixed then how can one speak meaningfully about a caloric deficit? The whole thing gets turned on its head if people have tens of thousands of calories in their adipose tissue. In the presence of enough food, good leptin signaling/nutrition/the whole endocrine deal leanness is homeostasis. Overweight people are by definition highly insulin resistant, eating lots of carbs causes lots of storage in the form of trygs which causes leptin resistance and elevated insulin disproportionate to energy intake. Eliminate sources of leptin resistance, ensure adequate nutrition and adequate food and the body will burn everything one eats in a day and extra.

I suppose if you just starve yourself you will lose weight, but we also want to feel good and become our healthiest while doing so. And the weight loss on caloric restriction tends to taper off after a while due to the metabolism becoming even more fucked.

Leptin. Mark's leptin posts. Leptin! Fucking leptin!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    K, thanks.
    I do know that when I'm 100% PB for any length of time...ie: several days in a row...my calorie intake is very low. Then I'll have almost a binge day...and as long as I can force myself to binge on primal food, I do ok. (That's tough when you walk in from a long day at work and grab the first thing you see.)
    I've been in the 80/20 range since Jan/Feb time frame and I've not noticed body shape changes or weight loss. SO says my pants fit differently but I don't feel that.
    What I do know is I feel better. A lot of aches and pains have disappeared. As has my gastro issues...except when I cheat big.)
    I am about to start a modified version of p90x and my brain has started clicking with the noise of I've prob had my last beer/cheat for the interim...so I know I'm almost 'there'.
    Just need help grasping that by eating fat, I'm burning the fat.

disclosure: I lost 40lbs and many inches following CW...counting calories, low fat, lifting/running. After a layoff due to a major surgery, all that is back and then some. I've also read almost everyone's posts here on MDA. So, I believe you...just need to rationalize it.

Thanks again...

j
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    If metabolic rate isn't fixed then how can one speak meaningfully about a caloric deficit? The whole thing gets turned on its head if people have tens of thousands of calories in their adipose tissue. In the presence of enough food, good leptin signaling/nutrition/the whole endocrine deal leanness is homeostasis. Overweight people are by definition highly insulin resistant, eating lots of carbs causes lots of storage in the form of trygs which causes leptin resistance and elevated insulin disproportionate to energy intake. Eliminate sources of leptin resistance, ensure adequate nutrition and adequate food and the body will burn everything one eats in a day and extra.

I suppose if you just starve yourself you will lose weight, but we also want to feel good and become our healthiest while doing so. And the weight loss on caloric restriction tends to taper off after a while due to the metabolism becoming even more fucked.

Leptin. Mark's leptin posts. Leptin! Fucking leptin!
    I supposed that high carb/high calorie refeeds can reverse that.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast