Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uselis journey to better health page

Uselis is online now Senior Member

Uselis journey to better health

Primal Fuel
    2014.02.20 Day 16

Hi everyone, (hope it won't be monologue)

I am 25 years old, fairly healthy and fit guy but damn I lost in this ''eating right'' path. I know what is good for me but then next day I read thats actually could be bad for me
    Last summer I was doing pretty good with Primal lifestyle, went strong but counting calories got me. Somewhere I restricted food to much in favour of more ripped abs and next thing you know I am with bowl of ice creams feeling quilty for myself Before falling of the wagon I will say that I probably found happiness. I was living in the moment, feeling calmness and developing positive outlook. What amazed me how Primal helped me to get enthusiastic with small things. I mean on my old sugary days I would walk and see some dog wagin his tail. I would be ''get the fck off from me crazy animal'' and on Primal it's more like ''wow, what a pretty dog, interesting what his breed is''. Thats pretty life transforming approach I would say. I want it back. I want to be happy and peacefull with my life again and don't set some crazy goals (like run marathon my favourite) believing that those will bring happiness to me. I also want to learn and hope that some smart posters will take a look into my diary and maybe leave some tips.

English is not my native, so I hope, those who read won't be discouraged.
    I already passed 15 days and today is 16th.

My movement today: 90min slow walk and basketball for couple hours later (Play hard day)

My food intake: Broccoli, some spinach, supermarket chicken liver fried in butter, 4 small white potatoes.
    I ate that and after couple hours get insane food cravings. I had couple decent lifting and sprint days before so maybe my body is trying catch up. I then ate two smoked mackerels, can of salmon, two bananas, 80g of almonds, avocado and 1 tangerine. Quite carb fest I would say and some imbalance on the plate but last time I tried to count and restricting carbs ended with epic bingings. So I don't mind eating more this time even if its above recommened charts. What I want to do though is eat less smoked fish because it's getting pretty much daily thing. It's kind of based on laziness as its easy to buy it and eat it straight away (no preparing, cooking, etc). I wont be eating after the game so I shoveled all my food in 7 hours window. I suspect I overate a bit because I feel like I won't be hungry soon Anyways thats it for intro and today, thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Uselis; 02-21-2014 at 08:29 AM.

2014.02.21 Day 17

Ok, seems I finished with eating today so gonna wrap up this.

MOVEMENT: Walked for 90min. This is probably my favourite form of exercise. I don't get such a endorphin rush from lifting or sprinting. Even ''runners high'' after some 30 min jog is just not on the same league as 2 cup of coffee mixing with meditative pace walk in forest. I usually do it fasted so sometimes I feel so good and seems that I have a lot of answers to my life but it disappears as soon as I eat Yesterday I got drained in basketball game and I really trying to avoid overtrainning. I read on some blog that you usually sacrifice welness and health when you search for fitness goals. My goal with Primal to feel optimistic every day and be nice to everyone around me which is a result of stable mood and energy. If that means skipping additional lifting day in favour of a short walk, so be it. I found that once I overtrain I am missing out on life opportunities (not having enough energy or motivation to go somewhere, do something and so on).

Food: ate 500g beef neck from supermarket (maybe its scrag? Don't know how it called correctly), 6 same supermarket eggs, 2 avocados, two chicken thighs, 6 carrots, a piece of cabbage and some saeurkrate which had sugar in it (noticed later).

Feeling good, took Vitamin D pill as well but from what I am reading here I probably should take magnesium as well. Will see, I am such a Scrooge McDuck with this. I know it probably would benefit me but I am thinking how much additional food I could buy instead I hope I am not doing any harm for myself by not supplementing with it.
    Last edited by Uselis; 02-21-2014 at 08:30 AM.

2014.02.22 Day 18

So I made through 17 days and had epic fruit binge today. Ate like 5 big apples, countless tangerines and probably around 400g dried dates. At least it wasn't ice creams or cake. I still think I kind of failed because I don't feel very well now. I also ate some carrots, 5 eggs and smoked mackerel with couple potatoes. Even though all foods are primal its quite in chaos manner. I am gonna restart counting days again and see if I can surpass 18 days this time. Lame, but at least I learnt something from this fail:

1. SLEEP. I slept 6 interrupted hours last night. Went to bed at 10, woke up 1 at night for no reason and then slept until 6 am. Lack of sleep impacted my mood so much today. I even felt a bit depressed whole morning. Quit coffee and choose book or writing before bed instead of PC.

2. Coffee. While I believe it has health benefits I think it does to me more harm at the moment. It migh be one of the reasons why I slept bad couple nights in a row and also can be indicator of this mild depression feeling I had in the morning. I drank 3 cups so maybe ''crash'' caused it. Gonna try to quit for awhile and see if it will improve my sleep.

3. Starch. I will aim at least 100g from potatoes. The nights I had bad sleep I didint ate any starch all day. I don't know if its a must thing as far as optimal functioning goes but I noticed I sleep better with it.

As far as exercise went I walked for hour and slowly jogged for 30 min. Will probably eat some light dinner later on either from fish or from eggs. Going to take another 30 min or so walk because sun just showed up which is rare these days here.

Btw yesterday I watched this podcast http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/dr-rhonda-patrick
    and it was quite interesting. This Phd nutritionist was talking about how 48% (hope I remember correctly) of USA population magnesium depleted and what magnesium actually does in your body.

Ok, thats it for today, have a good day all!

I thought I am done with posting for today but I had good walk and just want to save some words which I found from searching through random threads. Some poster wrote:

''The best way to avoid or keep depression at bay is to eat a clean diet, get plenty of exercise and rest and be spiritually healthy.
    Meditation is essential here. Also having a real purpose in life. Something that you are very passionate about that you can immerse yourself in on a daily basis.
    It is difficult to be depressed when you are doing what you are meant to be doing. Far too many of us aren't and its a major blockage to true happiness.''

So damn true, want to keep those words here.
    Last edited by Uselis; 02-22-2014 at 07:34 AM.

2014.02.23 Day 1

So starting my ''calendar'' from day 1 again. Even though I don't think I fell off from Primal wagon. Fruit and even dried fruit aren't evil it's just a dose that embarrassed me. I still had that subconscious carb counting approach and once I clearly overeat carbs I feel like I lost. Not a healthy approach I know.
    The reason I still leaning to a lowerish carbs approach is I suspect it is a best option for stable mood and energy levels but I am not sure. I don't want to loose weight but I want to have as least mood swings as possible. That is number 1 goal from this Primal journey. I hate when I am grumpy and it affects people around me.
    My first day without coffee. Quiting this as well to increase quality off sleep and mood. Oh boy I wasn't expecting that My head was so aching and I felt so nauseous that at some point I almost vomited. That's some nasty addiction, never thought such a small thing as coffee could have such a consequences. Even if my mood or sleep won't improve I am not drinking this drink from hell only because I will remember what a nasty withdrawals it gives you when you decide to leave it.

Movement:

Trying to get my workouts in 30min and not overdo it. As many here I used to run up to 25km some days but only thing I remember how tired I was. So want to do what is necessary in shortest time as possible and leave everything long duration for playing. Lift heavy things day, did 45 Pull ups/Chin ups and 40 Dips in 30min.

Food:

Mackerel fried in butter, 5 organic eggs in same butter, a bit of cabbage, two chicken thighs, two bananas, 1 big apple and 4 small white potatoes. I am planning to eat most of my carbs for a dinner and hope that will affect my sleep quality in a good way.

Saving those words here, something I am going to follow now. Could make a poster on the wall even

''I suggest doing what I do: don't count calories, don't count carbs, combat your fat cravings with meat and dairy, combat your carb cravings with fresh fruits and
    tubers and prioritize protein for every meal. Chances are you'll start eating around 30-40%
    calories from EVERYTHING. Don't do a low-X or high-Y diet. JUST EAT REAL FOOD. ''

That was Choco who said. Wise and so simple.
    Last edited by Uselis; 02-24-2014 at 09:03 PM.

2014.02.24 Day 2

So thankfully coffee wtihdrawals ceased. Last couple nights I slept like rock. I don't know is it that I eat most of my carbs at dinner or is it trully because I quit coffee but I definitely feel difference. What's fascinating is I am able to fall asleep in like 15mins after watching movies through pc. So seems blue light so far is not affecting me. I hope I will be able to keep such a sleep quality in the long term. Makes a hughe difference!

Movement: ought to be move slowly day so walked about 60min and jogged slowly another 20. One downside I see from quitting coffee so far that it took awhle until I fully felt awake yesterday. I mean even after jogging and walking I still felt sleepy. Hope that will pass away.

Food: 1 avocado, 1 broccoli, 500g pork neck, 6 eggs fried in lard, 2 chicken thighs, 5 small potatoes, 2 green bananas and 1 apple. Could get away with less but oh well, love my meat and fruits

Have a good day all!

2014.02.25 Day 3

Lol I never thought that I will be waiting for a time to go sleep. My dreams so vivid and interesting it's getting ridiculous. Is like I am waiting for movie to start I really can't say if that's not drinking coffee as it's only for 3 days now but I probably getting one of the best sleeps in my life right now.

Movement: Did sprint session in forest. My ultimate goal for sprints to have 8 sets as hard and as far as I can go. This time I did 6 and wasn't very explosive. I mean I tried but in the end it wasn't very fast. Probably averaged 20sec for each set. Any ideas how to get better in those?

Food: Beef neck which came from supermarket, 6 eggs fried in butter, piece of beet and cabbage, 4 carrots, 1 banana, 1 apple, 3 white potatoes and 2 chicken thighs. I probably should step uo my game in cooking. Eating chicken daily it's not optimal I suspect. On the other hand I remember a guy in some thread gave me good advice ''Don't Paleo to hard''. So in other words ''Don't let the perfect become an enemy of good''.

Have a good day all!

2014.02.26 Day 4

So I was about to ramble again about how this sleep/wake up/sleep pattern annoys me. Last time it happened I binged on bunch of fruit and my mood was whole day pretty low. Yesterday I went to bed at 21:30 and woke up at 02:30 feeling like playing basketball 5 vs 5 on full court. You can bet it took awhile to get back asleep. Then I woke around 06:30 or so and very strange but pleasant - I feel energized and refreshed (at least so far). So I am ok with this weird sleeping pattern as long as I feel like Heracles in the morning. Maybe it's natural? Or maybe along with all improvements I did so far for better sleep I also should stop watching UFC where dudes smashing each other heads and swimming in rivers of blood. Not the most calm winding down pre bed routine so I would love if someone would recommend decent book.

Movement: walked around hour and did Lift Heavy Things routine which ended up as 46 Pull ups/Chin ups and 41 Dips in 30 minute time. I suspect after awhile I will be bored with this as well, especially if I won't see improvements so advices in this area more then welcome as well.

Food: Probably most quality day as far as plate balance went. Got 5 decent quality eggs friend in lard, 2 mackerels fried in butter, a bit of chicken liver fried in butter, broccoli some fermented veggies, couple white potatoes, 2 apples, 4 big carrots and hughe bowl of pasta with bunch ''Heinz'' mayonnaise along with some French bread fried in sunflower oil. Joking on last one obviously

Have a nice day all!
    Last edited by Uselis; 02-27-2014 at 09:10 PM.

2014.02.27 Day 5

So far so good.

Movement: Played 2h basketball on evening.

Food: Ate quite a lot yesterday. Got around 300g chicken liver fried in butter, 6 eggs fried in butter as well, 4 big carrots, 1 beet, 1 apple, couple handfuls of pumpkin seeds, 4 big white potatoes, 3 chicken thigh and 1 smoked mackerel.
    I still don't know for sure if eating smoked fish often is healthy. It's delicious no doubt but the fact that you can just buy and eat it without preparing makes me wonder if it's good for you. I also probably should eat more veggies even though there isn't much I like. I am concerned with that because maybe I am stuffing to much protein and if I would have more greens along with meat on the plate it would be more balanced meal which is probably healthier that way. Paleo'ing to hard I guess

Don't have a lot to write since I still a bit tired from yesterday basketball and my brain isn't sharp enough in the early mornings since I stoped drinking coffee, so just end this up with my favourite:

Have a good day!

2014.02.28 Day 6

Hmm, still experiencing this sleep/wake up at night/sleep cycle. As I mentioned it does not affect my sleep quality much but I suspect if I would sleep straight 8 hours + it would be even better. I guess I'll just pretend that I am living in the wild and it's caused by some bear walking near my campfire That was probably the case many many years ago when you had a lot of predators so possible it's in my genes. Or I could just try not use PC (even though it has flux) at least hour before bed

Movement: 1h lazy walk. Could done more obviously but decided I did enough day before playing basketball

Food: about 700g beef neck from supermarket (so probably grain fed), 5 eggs fried in lard, boiled beet, carrots, 4 potatoes, avocado, 1 banana, couple chicken thighs and some fermented veggies

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just saying hello. It is very interesting to see what other people eat

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast