Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for Vibram Runners...... page

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member

Question for Vibram Runners......

Primal Fuel
    So I took my first test drive in them today on the Treadmill in the gym. I have a long and painful past with calf injuries, heel Tendonitis etc.... I had planned on just walking doing a hill program, but couldn't resist the urge to run in them and I have to say, it was MUCH easier than I thought it would be. I ran VERY slowly ( 12mm) for just about 1.5miles for the first time out. It's so unbearably hot here right now, and I am not planning to run any races till fall/late fall holidays so I am in no hurry to increase miles. I guess the question would be:

since Vibrams help make all the muscles and tendons tougher, am I going to have a tough time transitioning back to running shoes to run my races this fall? the distances are small, some 5k's and an 8k but I am wondering if it's gonna be tough on my feet bouncing back and forth between shoes....

Thanks and sorry if that sounds like a silly question, just a little concerned. I ran a half marathon with a torn calf, and it was NOT fun, would not like to have a repeat.

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    While I"m not running yet, I've a couple of friends who run 5ks and halves in their VFFs and love it.
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I am new to vibrams but have been running in them for the past 1 to 1.5 months and love it to death. I am also a 5K runner and hope to do a few 10Ks this summer... with my vibrams.

The last run I did was a 5K on May 11. I ran that in shoes. About a week or 2 later I purcehased my vibrams and have been running in them ever since. For my next race I will be using my KSO vibrams.

I would think that going back and forth between running shoes and your vibrams is NOT a good idea... but those are just MY thoughts. Run a few more times in the vibrams and see how you feel.

I also hope to go truly barefoot in a race sometime this summer.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Ahaetulla is offline Member
    Why not just do your races in your Vibrams? I LOVE running in mine... it's so much more enjoyable than running in "casts" (running shoes)
    View all problems as challenges. Look upon negativities that arise as opportunities to learn and to grow. Don't run from them, condemn yourself, or bury your burden in saintly silence. You have a problem? Great. More grist for the mill. Rejoice, dive in, and investigate.
    - Bhante Henepola Gunaratana

I am thinking about running in a 5K race this Saturday. If I do then it will be the first time I "race" with my vibrams... I have run in 10-12 5K's since the beginning of last summer - all with shoes (sigh).

I can not wait to run in a 5K with my vibrams - I hope to go barefoot soon too!

Lolly is offline Member
    i bounce back and forth with my VFFs and Nike Frees with no problems. traditional running shoes are a thing of my past. I have run 7 miles straight on roads with VFFs with no problems other than calves that were delightfully sore the day after. I am running a 5 miler on July 4th and it will probably be in the VFFs.

Word. I just found out about a race on July 4 of 4.2 miles. If I am not out of town I will be running in it with my vibrams!

Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    i bounce back and forth with my VFFs and Nike Frees with no problems. traditional running shoes are a thing of my past. I have run 7 miles straight on roads with VFFs with no problems other than calves that were delightfully sore the day after. I am running a 5 miler on July 4th and it will probably be in the VFFs.
    Do you notice any difference in stride or foot strike going from the Frees to the Vibrams and back?
    View all problems as challenges. Look upon negativities that arise as opportunities to learn and to grow. Don't run from them, condemn yourself, or bury your burden in saintly silence. You have a problem? Great. More grist for the mill. Rejoice, dive in, and investigate.

Lolly is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahaetulla View Post
    Do you notice any difference in stride or foot strike going from the Frees to the Vibrams and back?
    Yes, my stride is more "mini" in the VFFs. I feel like i take tinier, more compact steps and i hit the ground more gingerly than i do in my Frees. i think i am a "daintier" runner in my Vibrams, lol. But i feel that translates into faster foot turnover which is key to speed.

Slightly OT: I was eating dinner last night in an outdoor cafe and a girl ran by with Vibrams....in her hands! She was running down a city sidewalk truly barefoot. Our city sidewalks are quite clean and well maintained but it's still risky. Good for her, grok on, she totally had the whole barefoot warrior princess thing going on.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    Yes, my stride is more "mini" in the VFFs. I feel like i take tinier, more compact steps and i hit the ground more gingerly than i do in my Frees. i think i am a "daintier" runner in my Vibrams, lol. But i feel that translates into faster foot turnover which is key to speed.

Slightly OT: I was eating dinner last night in an outdoor cafe and a girl ran by with Vibrams....in her hands! She was running down a city sidewalk truly barefoot. Our city sidewalks are quite clean and well maintained but it's still risky. Good for her, grok on, she totally had the whole barefoot warrior princess thing going on.
    That's awesome, I think if I saw something like that i'd have to jump up and go run along beside her. I have yet to see anyone else around here with Vibrams or embracing the whole barefoot thing. I go running in parks and around my neighborhood and I get the strangest stares. I go barefoot a lot, in the city as well.. sometimes when I am walking to my car from work (about a .3 mile walk), I do it barefoot... and boy you'd think I was naked or something.

People are so uptight!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast