Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "SportsFree" - Quitting Sports Consumption page 3

DrHackenbush is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Pretty much what not on the rug said, except the Giants suck balls.

I'm an unashamed sports fan. Pro athletes are the closest thing we have to superheroes; I think it's awesome what humans are physically capable of.

But it doesn't interfere with how awesome I make myself or my life.

Sent via lightsaber
    Why do you care about "superheroes"? I don't.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHackenbush View Post
    Why do you care about "superheroes"? I don't.
    Good for you. You're a special snowflake.

Sent via lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBrennan View Post
    lol. It's not just the old men, nowadays. A lot of these bloated guys who live their lives vicariously through athletes, and guzzle beer every night, they have no passion. They have no sense of self to be passionate about. (There are female analogs to this - the rapidly increasing rates of amenhorrea and premature ovarian failure, and addictions to Prozac, etc. But this thread isn't about that.)
    I think we're describing something larger than sports. This is mass entertainment, period. Sports are probably the most masculine-seeming of all of those options too.

DavidBrennan is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    well, there is a market for it. and any business is going to try to push their product to the limit. you can place a sports logo on just about anything. it's up to the consumer to keep his (or her) life in check.
    Yes, and they're obviously not keeping it in check, anymore than they're keeping carb consumption in check. E.g., the SportsFree Reddit.

DavidBrennan is offline Banned
    I think we're describing something larger than sports. This is mass entertainment, period. Sports are probably the most masculine-seeming of all of those options too.
    Yeah, I think the mass media is poison. (I don't have a TV.)

Sports, though, are uniquely bad because of their scale (as I say, they dominate the social landscape today, second only to the weather. Every bar, restaurant, barbershop, and gas station has TVs blaring ESPN.) and because they have the appearance of being "manly". They are indeed manly....if you're playing them.

Yes, and they're obviously not keeping it in check, anymore than they're keeping carb consumption in check. E.g., the SportsFree Reddit.
    so are you mad because you were one of them? some people just can't do things in moderation. they hit "rock bottom" and then they reform, and then they won't stfu about their holier than thou nonsense. your experience is your experience. it doesn't mean you're right about anything though

I am argumentative by nature, and I don't want this thread to be totally dominated by antagonism.

So, to be clear, I have two specific tasks with my SportsFree Reddit:

1) Ask men: Could you quit sports if you wanted to?
    2) If no, then you're addicted and you have to force yourself to stop. If yes, then prove it by stopping.

So try to go 60 days with zero sports consumption. Do it as a personal challenge!
    Excellent, great, good for you.

This subject is obviously of no concern to you. Knock yourself out with "your team" or whatever the hell it is you want me to say.
    "could you quit sports if you wanted to?" treats sports in general as bad thing. when innately, it isn't a bad thing. rooting for a team and watching some games isn't a full fledged addiction like you had and others have. the way you view this topic and your reddit group shows that you only see this topic in terms of black and white. and as we all know, nothing is black and white.

the fact that you are so argumentative and defensive about it only reinforces your unhealthy relationships with perfectly healthy things. you've even resorted to name calling when others have challenged your views. perhaps you should address the true whatever your real issues are?

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Eh, it's the same as booze. Could I go 60 days without drinking? Sure, easy. Probably have a few times. But I have no problems with booze. It doesn't affect my life negatively. I drink on my terms, selectively, and it adds enjoyment to my life in certain circumstances.

Same with sports. If someone can't handle their life and has to immerse themselves in sports or booze or whatever to escape, well, good for them. But telling me those things are unequivocally bad, when everything pertaining to my experience with them says otherwise, is totally stupid.

Sent via lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Eh, it's the same as booze. Could I go 60 days without drinking? Sure, easy. Probably have a few times. But I have no problems with booze. It doesn't affect my life negatively. I drink on my terms, selectively, and it adds enjoyment to my life in certain circumstances.

Same with sports. If someone can't handle their life and has to immerse themselves in sports or booze or whatever to escape, well, good for them. But telling me those things are unequivocally bad, when everything pertaining to my experience with them says otherwise, is totally stupid.

Sent via lightsaber
    That's a knee-jerk response. There is no "good" or "bad". I'm saying, and I think David Brennan is saying, that there are better ways to use your time.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's a knee-jerk response. There is no "good" or "bad". I'm saying, and I think David Brennan is saying, that there are better ways to use your time.
    No he isn't. He is speaking in terms of absolutes. Look at his stupid 60 day challenge

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast