Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: "SportsFree" - Quitting Sports Consumption page 17

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    What if we watch sports with predominantly white athletes? Like lacrosse and hockey

Or Tom Brady, that bangs a Brazilian chick?

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Or Tom Brady, that bangs a Brazilian chick?
    Tom brady is definitely gay though. Lol
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

MarkChopper is offline Banned
    I basically live in Canada so no, i dont know anyone completely obsessed with sports. Hockey is pretty big and some people like baseball but thats about it. Maybe its just because you live in a shithole (Detroit) and noone has anything better to do? Plus you got the Redwings, man! Support that shit.

DavidBrennan is offline Banned
    Hey, do whatever you want. SportsFree is 100% voluntary.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Tom brady is definitely gay though. Lol
    This is the only thing on this long stupid thread that I actually agree with. Men shouldn't wear ugg boots.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBrennan View Post
    Note that, continuously, none of these responses address the simple facts, and instead all try to make it about me, a total stranger on a message board.

In the first place, to get the perverted stuff out of the way, anybody who fails to notice the creepy trend in the sports media of celebrating black men with white women (in "get to know Jerome Baller" featurettes, beer commercials, and elsewhere) is blind. Anybody who says they notice it but that it doesn't mean anything is lying. So, the sports industry and its stakeholders are expressly appealing to the suddenly-ubiquitous "cuckold" fetish. Some of you might enjoy this. Others might not care. But it's there, as plain as day. Stop lying about it.

Yeah, it's a low blow to mock sports fans with that. But it's true.

Secondly, the growth of the sports industry in the past one generation is an astoundingly significant cultural shift. That is just a statement of material fact. It has gone from a side hobby for a small demographic of men to something which is, very literally, everywhere. It used to be just a TV at the end of a bar. Now its bars (and there are a lot more of them!) and across the radio dial and on the front page of newspapers and TVs in restaurants and barber shops and shopping malls and fucking gas stations. A 900% revenue increase (as of 2007; it has surely only grown since then) for the NFL in seventeen years is staggering. This is an entertainment business, not a commodity, and yet it has featured a geometric boom akin to some new medical breakthrough. And, to my knowledge, there has been little exposing of this fact in the larger media - certainly no criticism of its customers!

And, I know I've said this here already, but is anybody else just blown by the fact that ESPN is worth half the valuation of Disney Corp? Do you realize how fucking huge a media conglomerate Disney is, and yet some cable TV stations talking about sports are literally worth everything else combined? All within a generation! (Financial estimates being only estimates, I'm sure that some people could quibble with Forbe's valuation of ESPN. Whether somebody values it at 60% or 50% or 40% of Disney's valuation is not the point. It's a sports cable station. By all rights, it should be a footnote amongst Disney's holdings.)

So, just as an abstract social phenomenon, the sudden dominance of sports over the average man's life warrants acknowledgement and study. Hey, maybe it's good, and maybe men should spend ever more time ogling athletes. The NFL will just grow and grow, and maybe that's a good thing. Anybody wanna make that case?

But for me, it's not just distant economic and social trends. It's very real - not so much for me personally (I've overstated how "addicted" I was, to be honest), but for close family members and virtually every dude I know. As I said, for most guys I know, watching college and pro sports - not family, not work, not community, and certainly not fucking - is the centerpiece of their life. I could provide example after example. If you think about this....I'm sure you can think of people you know who have an unhealthy obsession with sports, but you have to think hard, because their obsession seems normal in 2014! You have to step back and view it from the eyes of men in previous times (say, 1995 or anytime before then) to have a clear vision and say, "Oh, shit, that really is bizarre that that grown man spent $200 on a piece of clothing worn by some professional athlete."

Again, it was attending a wedding in which the groom's tuxedo was conspicuously trimmed in "his team's" (in fact, he has zero ownership) colors was what made me truly start to be embarrassed about sports fandom. And how about the bride not protesting this because it's so common nowadays? (If you're between the ages of 20 and 40, go to your Facebook page right now. Look at the mens' post (discount women entirely). I am willing to bet that anywhere between 25 and 75% of posts will be dudes rattling on about sports bullshit.)

So you can say, "Hey, it's great that sports have overtaken men's lives in a generation!" But what you can't deny is the fact that it's happened (and is, by all rights, going to only grow even further.)

And then, yeah, there's the revealing fact that every other commercial during sporting events is for impotence drugs.
    Aside from the anger and the ridiculous image at the bottom, you've got some decent points here. Except for the fetish part, but maybe that's because I just don't have any idea what "commercials" you are watching. I haven't noticed it, because I really hardly ever watch tv or sports. The way you present that idea makes you sound like a fundamentalist white supremacist, hating people who enjoy sex in a manner you don't approve of, and hating non-whites. Those ideas aren't really acceptable in public forums anymore. What you are saying reminds me of the old weed propaganda that said marijuana will make black men rape your wives and daughters. In short, you are crazy.

I still think that you would have far more success by rewriting these points in a neutral manner, with less anger and bigotry/racism and accusations and insults. Blaming the show for the advertising is ridiculous- they are capitalizing on the trend, not creating it. Blaming professional sports for the decline of masculinity is a bit overly narrow of a target, as there are far more things involved than what's on tv. Linking professional sports to the breakdown of color barriers is something that has been celebrated for a very long time, all the way back to Jackie Robinson and Hank Aaron and the rest.

You can cut all of that out and still have a valid argument against excessive watching of sports, much like excessive consumption of any media, with specifics directed at the issues men are facing (all men, not just white ones)- things like excessive time, lack of productive output, beer-drinking atmosphere, lack of actual physical activity, etc.

If you can write something like that without being insulting or racist, I might be interested in what you have to say. Mostly, this thread has been entertaining watching everyone get you so worked up, then you finally calming down just a little bit.

MarkChopper is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHackenbush View Post
    Plus, his wife is a man.
    Maybe I'm behind the times but isn't this his wife?

Gisele-Bundchen.jpg

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    The way you present that idea makes you sound like a fundamentalist white supremacist, hating people who enjoy sex in a manner you don't approve of, and hating non-whites. Those ideas aren't really acceptable in public forums anymore.
    He is opposed to modern depravity, something I agree with him on. I don't agree with all his views, but this sounds like you want to cut the tongue off of someone not because they're wrong, but because you're afraid of what they might say. All forums are privately owned and operated, fyi. His hyperbole is off in left field when he speaks in absolutes, because even one opposite example is enough to discredit it- but he brings up an important point regarding propaganda.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a white nationalist. There are black nationalists, Asian nationalists, Hispanic nationalists, and so on and so forth- none of which are attacked, or criticized. Unlike the stereotypes, they are not backwoods "racist" rednecks named Cletus. The group has evolved in responsive opposition to postmodern culture and it's world wide.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Reventon is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBrennan View Post
    Between schizophrenic ramblings that nobody can decipher, you're writing shit that nobody cares about.
    Hey Pot,

How you doin'?

-Kettle

DavidBrennan is offline Banned
    Here's a great article on quitting sports from a manosphere blog. Highlight:

I live in an area of the country where people are absolutely obsessed with college and pro football. This is the typical weekend schedule for 70% my city during the winter months:

Saturday:

10am – Wake up and start drinking
    1-10pm – Watch college football
    10pm – 2am – Go to the bar

Sunday:

10am – Wake up
    11am – Get drunk at tailgate for the local NFL team
    1pm – Watch local NFL team game
    4pm -10pm – Watch other NFL teams play for fantasy sports purposes

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast