Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting into Triathlon page

Steady is offline Senior Member

Thinking of getting into Triathlon

Primal Fuel
    Hi all.

As the title says, I'm thinking about getting into Triathlon. I would consider myself a competent swimmer, cyclist and runner ( amongst other things) but I want to really test myself physically. The ultimate goal is an Ironman distance tri, but I think I should start with an Olympic distance.

Basically, I'm looking for advice from like minded (Primal) people as to what to expect, whats some good training, how to get into it… anything that you think might help really, what wetsuit brand to look out for, what ones to avoid, tips and hints… anything. I'm not looking to break any world records, just to get round in a respectable time (12-13 hours for an Ironman.. is that about right?).

I live just outside London (Essex) in the UK by the way, in case anyone was going to suggest a show or something in Malibu, as nice as that would be.

Thanks in advance

Grok On!
    Last edited by Steady; 02-20-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I think Mark has written about triathlon training. Maybe start there.

Sent via lightsaber

Thanks Mr. Anthony, I'll check that out and I dare say he gets some good stuff down.

But I'm looking for the real finite details. I'm pretty confident I could manage each individual disciplines distance, even those of an IM tri, but its the little things that I think are missed in articles such as the one Mark has written (not that I'm suggesting its no good... I haven't even read it yet).

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member
    I did a sprint tri two years ago, if you google Triathlon Training plans you can find lots of free programs that tell you how to schedule your training. I liked Trifuel.com.
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any advice but thought I would share the link to the Triathlon forum on Runners World.com

Triathlons | Runner's World Community

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Remember the fourth discipline: Transitions.

Thanks for the replies all. I'm trying to get the funds together to enter the London Olympic Triathlon in August. Hopefully I can find the find somewhere!

I went out and did a ride/ run yesterday, 25 mile ride then a 10k run. Wasn't the fastest ever, 1.40 on the bike - 5 mins transition (had to say hello to the wife and kids) then a 50 minute 10k. I'd like to complete a whole Olympic Tri in 2.40, so I need to speed up a few minutes on those two disciplines.

Onwards and upwards.

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, keeping your family in transition will slow you down!

Anyone got any tips for nutrition while participating in Triathlons? I don't want to resort to "energy" bars or gels and obviously won't be carbo loading on a pasta feast.

I was thinking to start the day of with a normal breakfast of eggs and bacon/ sausage, a protein shake and black coffee. Then while participating, bananas, red grapes, maybe some nuts (almonds and macadamias) and lots of water.
    Last edited by Steady; 03-04-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast