Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What’s so healthy about saturated fats? page 3

Wanderer is offline Junior Member
    Not to side track the thread, but I have a somewhat related question. What effect does the higher saturated fat intake, suggested in a Primal diet, have on those with heart disease already and/or those above age 50 who have had a heart attack? Haven't many patients done better after a heart attack by lowering their LDL (by reducing fat intake/statins).

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefgerry View Post
    Your confusing the body's ability to convert excess calories from any substrate, not just starch, into saturated fat with saturated fat that we consume in all food that has any fat in it at all......try not eating any saturated fat for a month and get back to us.....saturated fat is in all fat sources.
    I am not sure what you are commenting on. I did say that you will get saturated fat from the fat you get in food, and you will get saturated fat from the carbs that you eat. I don't understand your point.

Saturated fat is neutral to the problem of heart attacks.
    When you are reducing LDL you are treating a number. You are not fixing the actual problem.

You need to increase Omega3 to prevent attacks in the future.
    It would be of benefit to eat a lower carb diet.
    It would be beneficial to eat no grains and legumes.
    You might also want to supplement copper, but check that first.
    You want to supplement K2 MK4+MK7.
    You want to supplement vitamin D3 with Magnesium, carefully. Vitamin D3 can cause problems, without proper K2 and Magnesium.
    Basically a primal diet will be beneficial.
    You can't get a real diet without saturated fats.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anand Srivastava View Post
    I am not sure what you are commenting on. I did say that you will get saturated fat from the fat you get in food, and you will get saturated fat from the carbs that you eat. I don't understand your point.
    The body actually doesn't convert starch to saturated fat........excess calories, which could be starch, get stored in our body as adipose tissue... (TG's), which for the most part is converted to saturated fat.........quite different than consuming saturated fat for bodily function and repair. just saying.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anand Srivastava View Post
    Saturated fat is neutral to the problem of heart attacks.
    When you are reducing LDL you are treating a number. You are not fixing the actual problem.

You need to increase Omega3 to prevent attacks in the future.
    It would be of benefit to eat a lower carb diet.
    It would be beneficial to eat no grains and legumes.
    You might also want to supplement copper, but check that first.
    You want to supplement K2 MK4+MK7.
    You want to supplement vitamin D3 with Magnesium, carefully. Vitamin D3 can cause problems, without proper K2 and Magnesium.

Basically a primal diet will be beneficial.
    You can't get a real diet without saturated fats.
    Can you expand on the bold text above. I can't quite get my brain around these sups that I know I need.....I am just not sure in what amounts. The ratios confuse me, so I have put off adding them to our regime....I could really use a thorough explanation if possible!

Quote Originally Posted by dacec View Post
    Can you expand on the bold text above. I can't quite get my brain around these sups that I know I need.....I am just not sure in what amounts. The ratios confuse me, so I have put off adding them to our regime....I could really use a thorough explanation if possible!
    Vitamin K2 is responsible for Calcium metabolism, and helps in reducing arterial calcification.
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...itamin-k2.html
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...-arterial.html

The best option for K2 is to eat grass fed cows and eat/drink grass fed unpasteurized dairy. Long fermented cheeses are especially good.
    I have heard good things about the Super K supplement from LifeExtension.
    The MK4 is used by our body, but lasts for a very small time in our body. MK7 lasts longer and helps, when MK4 is gone. The Super K contains both and K1 also.

Vitamin D3 is required for the body to fight diseases, in case the disease is caused by microbes.
    But it also raises calcium levels which are bad for arterial calcification.
    So you need K2, to handle the increased calcium.
    D3 does not work well without enough Magnesium, and almost everybody is deficient in magnesium.

The safest is to get the D3 from the sun, if possible. The second best method is fish. Last option is a supplement. It is with supplement that you must be very careful. If you get it from fish you will get the K2 and the Magnesium. You will also get the Omega3.

I did not say anything about ratios. Ratios are important for fine tuning the diet. But adding Omega3 will help, in any case.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    Who love coconut oil? BlazeKING loves coconut oil
    Is it true? Mmmhmmm
    I do I do I do OoOoO

Gimme some saturated fat
    CocOnut OoOYyAL, *drool*

peril is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Not to side track the thread, but I have a somewhat related question. What effect does the higher saturated fat intake, suggested in a Primal diet, have on those with heart disease already and/or those above age 50 who have had a heart attack? Haven't many patients done better after a heart attack by lowering their LDL (by reducing fat intake/statins).
    I'm over 50 and have had a heart attack. On a primal diet plus nicotinic acid I have HDL of 2.66 mmol/L and TG of 0.5mmol/L. With such low TG, the LDL value is irrelevant.

The low fat/low cholesterol/pro-statin crowd will cheerfully admit that most of their patients will die from heart disease. I'd rather take my chances with primal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123