Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s so healthy about saturated fats? page 2

FDgreen is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    I may be oversimplifying things, but here is my take.

Animals are made out of proteins and [mostly] saturated fats.
    Humans are animals.
    Humans need to constantly repair tissues and proliferate cellular growth.
    We can't make the fat ourselves and need it from dietary sources.
    Thus, we need to eat saturated fats from quality sources to make more of ourselves.
    Right, but the question is how much do you need. And, is too much harmful?

There is a recommended daily amount already and this forum is challenging that by pretty much saying eat as much saturated fat as you want. -- the original poster is questioning this...

Also, we are made of water and can't make it ourselves. Are you fine drinking 20 oz per day? 200? 2000?

THE AMOUNT MATTERS

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Of course the amount matters, but we live in a culture that has indoctrinated us to eliminate it. The USRDA is 20 grams saturated fat and 300 grams of carbs. No thanks.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Here's a link to the cardiac death information from the J-LIT trial, a large statin trial. Notice that death rate from cardiac disease (and everything else! "all cause") goes up with high AND low cholesterol and (calculated) LDL. There appears to be a sweet spot around a total cholesterol of 180-230 or so. This was a study of some 47,000 people or thereabouts. Why the powers that be insist on "the lower the better" is beyond me. Lower is deadlier! (so is higher). Got the graph from Hyperlipid.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    Here's a great post by the Drs. Eades from Tim Ferriss's blog on 7 reasons to eat more saturated fat:
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...saturated-fat/
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FDgreen View Post
    Huh? I don't understand this statement. Do you mean excess starch consumed is stored as body fat?

yes of-course. How else will the body use it?

There is a limit of about 400gms for the extreme athletes. Normal people will probably store only 300gms.
    Also unless you do strainuous activities, they do not get depleted, except amount used by the brain, which is between 40-120gms, depending on Insulin level. You normally cannot use more than 150gms of carbs in a day, unless doing heavy exercises. You can also get away with 100gms per day, without gluconeogenesis required to create glucose, if you are sedentary, and eat only once or twice.

If you are eating substantial carbs they will get converted to glucose. The glucose will fill up the glycogen stores. The rest has no where to go, except get converted to Palmitic Acid (which is a saturated fat) and get stored in the adipose tissues.

How else do you think the high carb eating people get fat?

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I agree with what you say in terms of carbs and fat storage..... But there are cultures that eat/ate the majority of their calories from carbs that don't have the problems associated with western countries. I think the source of carbs is an important factor.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muaythaimike View Post
    I agree with what you say in terms of carbs and fat storage..... But there are cultures that eat/ate the majority of their calories from carbs that don't have the problems associated with western countries. I think the source of carbs is an important factor.
    I think you misunderstand. Storage of fat is not a problem. The problem is, not using that stored fat. High insulin, inflammation, bad hormones, deficiencies, can make us unable to use the stored fats. That is where the problem lies. Not in fat storage.

You cannot use the energy that you eat, unless it gets stored.

Ofcourse sources of carbs are important, because there are bad carbs that cause inflammation, and the sources may be devoid of nutrition, which cause deficiencies.

Bad carbs are not starch or glucose, they are fructose and galactose, and insoluble fibers are bad carbs.
    If you avoid the bad carbs and stay away from nutritionally empty carbs, you should be fine, unless your metabolism is already damaged so that glucose becomes bad in itself.
    Also quantity is very important. Something like fructose in moderation would be neutral, but in excess it is bad. Not so for the metabolically challanged.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Oh I get ya now, I did misunderstand what you meant.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Your confusing the body's ability to convert excess calories from any substrate, not just starch, into saturated fat with saturated fat that we consume in all food that has any fat in it at all......try not eating any saturated fat for a month and get back to us.....saturated fat is in all fat sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Anand Srivastava View Post
    There is only a very small amount of protein that you can eat, based on your muscle mass. The rest must come from starches/sugars or fats.
    You can chose what you want to take. Incidently starches also convert into saturated fat. So doesn't matter what you eat, you are going to get saturated fats.

strom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Low cholesterol puts you at a much greater risk for a stroke, cancer and death. Your blood clots easier too, which is probably why that happens. I believe you can't really over eat saturated fats, because of the satiety you get from them. If you did you feel you ate too much though, you could fast until your hungry again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast