Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there something wrong with my coconut oil? page

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member

Is there something wrong with my coconut oil?

Primal Fuel
    Why's it doing that??
    ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1392867532.197563.jpg

For anyone not able to see the picture, there are white blobs in otherwise melted and clean coconut oil. It's a brand new jar, and when I poked the blobs, they weren't fuzzy like mold or anything. Does coconut oil go bad? The expiration date is January 2015.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    You might have what is known as a "whole kernel" coconut oil?

Possibly the best coconut oil I have EVER had is a whole kernel brand:

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Retail Store Fair Trade & Organic Whole Kernel Virgin Coconut Oil - 14 oz.

According to the label it says, "Our whole kernel VCO is expeller-pressed from fresh carefully dried coconut kernel with the inner skin left on, resulting in a more nutritious and nuttier-tasting oil."

It does probably have small amounts of additional micronutrients, but that's probably not relevant to your overall nutrition. But I CAN tell the difference in taste. And yep, this stuff is absolutely epic.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil is not a pure chemical compound. It is composed of several different chain lengths that have different melting points. This is perfectly normal and natural.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Drumroll, I'm gonna order some of that magic coconut oil!

Quote Originally Posted by Roary View Post
    Drumroll, I'm gonna order some of that magic coconut oil!
    You won't regret it. Buy in bulk.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Goyangi is offline Junior Member
    Does looks fine to me. Mine looks also that way. ^^

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    The melting point of coconut oil is 76F. If you store it close to that temp, you'll get the cooler part solid and the warmer part liquid.

In my cabinet in the winter with the heat set to 68F, my coconut oil is always solid. In the summer with the A/C set to 78F, it's liquid.

Jason Paul is offline Senior Member
    So, knowing nothing at all about coconut oil (and not having any), do you just mix it every time you use it?

Or, can you mix it once and keep it in the refrigerator? Or is that too cold?

Thanks,
    Jason

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    I have my first jar of Dr Bronners CO and I agree it's one of the best CO I've ever tasted. Yum!!!!
    K

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Paul View Post
    So, knowing nothing at all about coconut oil (and not having any), do you just mix it every time you use it?

Or, can you mix it once and keep it in the refrigerator? Or is that too cold?

Thanks,
    Jason
    Fridge is fine, cabinet is fine, just keep it out of direct light.

Coconut oil is one of the most stable fats you can get. It won't go bad very easily. Really, you'd almost have to purposely blast it at high heat for a long time in order to MAKE it go bad.

Mixing not necessary. Ever. Just scoop out desired amount and use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast