Thread: salmon, krill, or cod oil. page

Styleten is offline Senior Member

salmon, krill, or cod oil.

Shop Now
    should i purchase 3,6,9 blended or just 3. How would i know which to choose.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Styleten View Post
    should i purchase 3,6,9 blended or just 3. How would i know which to choose.
    Eating a paleolithic, primal or diet based on the environment of evolutionary adaptation, we'd be gettting signficantly more DHA than EPA. We'd also be getting about 4-1 Ω3: 1 Ω6. Most of us get more than enough Ω6 without taking any additional.

What does this mean?

1. Avoid 3,6,9 blends.
    2. Choose a fish oil higher in DHA than EPA (see my links below for info - they're not common....the typical CW ratio is 1.5:1 EPA to DHA)
    3. Most cod liver oil has far too much Vitamin A to be considered for daily use. The WAPF falls on the high vitamin A intake end of things and Cannel from the D council falls on the extreme other end. The reality though is probably somewhere in the middle. We didn't evolve eating processed cod liver oil or any other liver source *daily*. Liver, as a fairly small part of any animal, was consumed as available in ratio to the rest of what that animal had to offer. It's simply not biologically appropriate to do liver or oil from liver daily.

I'm first a fan of getting what we can from food - including fat - and am not a huge fan of eating 'free'/extra fat - though I do it to balance my Ω3:Ω6 ratios as needed. Ideally, we'd all get the right Ω3:Ω6 ratio from food without having to add additional fat, though for most of us, it's not something we can easily do.

You' ll also hear lots about various certifications needed to insure your fish oil is pure. It's all bunk. All molecularly distilled fish oil, by definition of the process, is contaminant free. There are only a couple of companies in the US and europe that are producing fish oil - then it simply gets labeled
    for all of the various vendors. There are very very few non-molecularly distilled fish oils available: wild salmon oil (which doesn't need to be molecularly distilled as it's very pure anyway...but with very low efa ratios as well) and a few botique type cod liver oils that are so foul tasting I just can't get on board....and they're cod liver oil, so I couldn't get on board anyway (with one or two exceptions)

I've tried many many fish oils - from super high end (sears, nordic naturals etc) to super low end (costco, sam's club etc) but my favorites are the concentrated versions that offer the most DHA and EPA (but with more DHA) per capsule so that I can take less capsules overall and still get the DHA/EPA that I need.

I currently use Now DHA-500 (see my supps link below for the link to iherb.com) - 2:1 DHA:EPA ratio, molecularly distilled, super high turnover from iherb.com (turnover is important with fish oil).

I take some A and some D (well, alot of D) in addition to the fish oil. See the D information below (and vitamindcouncil.org). Having messed around with my A to D ratios for the last seven years, I'm finding that I do best on an approximate 6:1 D:A ratio. The A doesn't need to be taken daily - weekly, q10d, biweekly or monthly are fine as well. Or eat liver 1-2x per month.

Krill oil is another interesting option and does have some benefits that fish oil doesn't. Namely that it supplies a significant amount of phospholipids. I'll spare you the long list of phospholipid benefits but it is worth taking at least some of the Ω3 in the form of krill oil. Women may have trouble taking krill oil daily as it can cause breakthrough bleeding/spotting from increased progesterone levels - but really, in and of itself, this isn't a bad thing (increasing progesterone:estrogen ratios) and in both men and women, progesterone is a potent neuroprotectant throughout our bodies.

The krill oil I take is also linked below.

Ignore the rest of the stuff that I take It's a pretty extensive regimen to insure my mood stability with my complicated, multi-tasking, uberbusy, modern, now-working mom life. Not everyone needs all of the extras *for sure*. I definitely prefer to get everything I can from food.....I just need greater amounts of more than a few nutrients than I've been able to manage from food.

Best to you,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I thought cod liver oil was okay as long as it has its natural vitamins and you are getting adequate amounts of D from sun or supps?

I was reading something by Chris Masterjohn the other day talking about how his stance on cod liver oil vit A and D ratios are OK and is getting support from other researchers. I hear the ratio in CLO should be no less than 10:1 vit A to D? Like in fermented cod liver oil.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muaythaimike View Post

I was reading something by Chris Masterjohn the other day talking about how his stance on cod liver oil vit A and D ratios are OK and is getting support from other researchers. I hear the ratio in CLO should be no less than 10:1 vit A to D? Like in fermented cod liver oil.
    the evidence I've seen just isn't indicating that. And during the years that I *did* follow that advice, and maintained optimally high blood levels of 25(OH)D per biannually to quarterly blood tests, I was having all kinds of high A problems (dry eyes, skin were the mildest and the first to show up).

It's simply *not* biologically appropriate to eat liver or liver oil daily from any animal. Countries and cultures that traditionally use high vitamin CLO have extremely high fracture rates and high upper respiratory infection rates. It appears that the high doses of A create what's known as a 'relative deficiency' of D. Even if blood levels of 25(OH)D are sufficient, the high circulating levels of A will take over D receptor sites.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    Should i be concerned with the soy in fish oils?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    the evidence I've seen just isn't indicating that. And during the years that I *did* follow that advice, and maintained optimally high blood levels of 25(OH)D per biannually to quarterly blood tests, I was having all kinds of high A problems (dry eyes, skin were the mildest and the first to show up).

It's simply *not* biologically appropriate to eat liver or liver oil daily from any animal. Countries and cultures that traditionally use high vitamin CLO have extremely high fracture rates and high upper respiratory infection rates. It appears that the high doses of A create what's known as a 'relative deficiency' of D. Even if blood levels of 25(OH)D are sufficient, the high circulating levels of A will take over D receptor sites.
    I have been having lots of problems with dry eyes and using artificial tears frequently all day. The multi-vitamin I have been taking contains lots of vitamin A. Not sure how much because I threw the bottle in recycling yesterday. I will see if my eyes improve. I had written off the dryness to the small amount of diuretic I take, but I have been taking that for years with no problem. Duh.

There is no reason for me to supplement A. I eat lots of eggs, greens, carrots and yams. That's what I don't like about taking a multi. There is always stuff I don't want or need. Thanks again Kat!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    bump

janagram is offline Senior Member
    this thread is full of good info......thanks.

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    Interesting article cillakat. Ever heard of the company dpa GOLD?
    http://www.dpagold.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx
    They use seal oil and have made some interesting claims. One being more pure than salmon and Krill sources,
    and having all three, DHA, EPA, and DPA. According to your reference above, you may find this product not in
    proper ratio balance. None the less an interesting product. Give it a gander and tell me what you think please.

Keith

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Here is an interesting article on Krill Oil:

http://www.fatburningfurnace.com/blo...at-diets/#post

I was pretty excited about this, considering I have a big honkin' jar of Krill Oil Capsules in my freezer (stops the nasty taste - try it!)

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress