Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Drama : is olive oil the answer? page

Sharma is offline Junior Member

Hair Drama : is olive oil the answer?

Primal Fuel
    My hair is naturally -extremely- dry and dehydrated, and I've been looking for some natural alternatives to moisturize and hydrate it. After reading a lot about the moisturizing benefits of olive oil, I've decided to add it in my regimen. However, I am unsure at what stage to use it in order for it to lock in the maximum amount of moisture into my hair. I know I need to sit under a steamer/dryer for it to get absorbed properly, but should my questions are:

- should my hair be wet, damp or dry?
    - should I use it before or after shampooing?
    - Should i use a shampoo or conditioner to wash it off?
    - Will I still need to use my deep conditioning hair mask after it?
    - is it better to let the olive oil sit in overnight?

Basically, I am looking to know in which order should I use the following: shampoo, conditioner, olive oil, hair mask and in which conditio ought my hair be.

Hoping to hear from all of you who may know the best way into a really, super, soft moisturized hair!

I'm not sure, but MAYBE there's some carry-over value in some experience I had making soap. I have not much hair to which to apply this.

If you make it yourself, you can leave as much residual oil in the soap as you want.

Basically you add sodium hydroxide to basically whatever fats and oils you have. There are online calculators to make it really simple. The sodium hydroxide will get used up, and a certain percentage of unreacted fat will be left over (you certainly don't want any unreacted drain opener in there).

The more there is left the more "moisturized" you will feel upon rinsing. That, and all the glycerin remains, as opposed to being skimmed off and sold as a separate product.

Just a thought. I can vouch for how much nicer my skin felt in the dry winter months in particular. No ashy look or feel despite vigorous scrubbing.

Plus it's all earthy and crap to make your own.

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    This has been my experience:

Olive oil first, let sit, then shampoo / condition / hair mask. Your shampoo should take it out excess oil just fine, and only use your hair mask if you find you need it (you really might not, but whatever you find works best).

I would apply it when it's damp and warm; if you use apply too much heat, it could damage the heat-sensitive constituents in the oil. I would apply the oil, then put one of those plastic hair net things over it and let the warmth of your head keep the oil and your hair warm. Warmth keeps the hair follicle open, but too much (hair drying etc) will be too much. Leave it in for at least an hour for best results, but if you want to leave it in overnight, you can do that, too! I really don't think you would need more than an hour or so though for good results.

Just so you know, using coconut oil will have really excellent results, too Alternating the oil you use once in a while is the best idea, as just like our bodies, variety in the nutrients you give your hair will keep it the healthiest.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
    This has been my experience:

Olive oil first, let sit, then shampoo / condition / hair mask. Your shampoo should take it out excess oil just fine, and only use your hair mask if you find you need it (you really might not, but whatever you find works best).

I would apply it when it's damp and warm; if you use apply too much heat, it could damage the heat-sensitive constituents in the oil. I would apply the oil, then put one of those plastic hair net things over it and let the warmth of your head keep the oil and your hair warm. Warmth keeps the hair follicle open, but too much (hair drying etc) will be too much. Leave it in for at least an hour for best results, but if you want to leave it in overnight, you can do that, too! I really don't think you would need more than an hour or so though for good results.

Just so you know, using coconut oil will have really excellent results, too Alternating the oil you use once in a while is the best idea, as just like our bodies, variety in the nutrients you give your hair will keep it the healthiest.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for your reply. Thanks for recommending coconut oil as well - should I follow the same procedure with that as well? Do you think washing the oils off with the conditioner would be sufficient enough to remove it out of my hair?

Also, does anyone know if steaming the hair mask into my hair is a good idea? I know it will absorb better, but steam opens up the follicles which means more chemicals will get absorbed into the hair... Not sure that's a good idea... Hmmm...?

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    If your hair is crazy dry, you may benefit from dropping the shampoo altogether and using conditioner (silicone free) for cleansing. That said, if your go-to conditioner has silicones, co-washing won't work well and the silicones are likely adding to the dryness problem too.
    I like to infuse olive oil with rosemary and lavender (both moisturizing), then put it on my hair dry. I don't use so much that's dripping, but enough that it's all saturated. I wrap it up in a shower cap and warm up my head with my hair dryer for a few mins then leave it in as long as I can, sometimes overnight. Sometimes I'll have a soak in the tub while I'm at it...I haven't noticed the steam adds any noticeable improvement.
    I've used coconut oil before but I find it makes my scalp itch when I leave it on for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    If your hair is crazy dry, you may benefit from dropping the shampoo altogether and using conditioner (silicone free) for cleansing. That said, if your go-to conditioner has silicones, co-washing won't work well and the silicones are likely adding to the dryness problem too.
    I like to infuse olive oil with rosemary and lavender (both moisturizing), then put it on my hair dry. I don't use so much that's dripping, but enough that it's all saturated. I wrap it up in a shower cap and warm up my head with my hair dryer for a few mins then leave it in as long as I can, sometimes overnight. Sometimes I'll have a soak in the tub while I'm at it...I haven't noticed the steam adds any noticeable improvement.
    I've used coconut oil before but I find it makes my scalp itch when I leave it on for very long.
    Hi Lemon Twist! It is CRAZY dry indeed and I have gone sulfate/paraben/silicone free with my shampoo, conditioner and mask. I also dilute the shampoo in water before I use it on my hair. I am just wondering if I wash my hair after steaming the oil into it and letting it sit overnight if the conditioner will remove the oil from my hair? Should I use a hair mask after that as well?

Thanks for the helpful reply!

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    I've never had a problem just using conditioner to wash the oil treatment out of my hair - all you can do is try it. Same thing with the mask...give it a go without, then assess after if it could have used the extra moisture so you know for next time.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I prefer coconut oil over EVO but either way I have used both. I use it once or twice a week. I leave it on for an hour and shampoo after. I have been doing this for years now, I have no gray hair but I can't really say that's because of coconut oil.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Giving up shampoo completely really helped my super dry hair. I also avoid all the silicones etc in my conditioner and hair products.

Some dry hair likes oil treatment, some hair does better with protein treatment. There is a lot of good info on the curlygirl site on how to keep curly hair (which is usually very dry) helpful.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast