Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hair Drama : is olive oil the answer? page 2

Ariel C. McGlothin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Everyone's hair is different keep in mind.

I've used both olive and coconut oils as well. I usually do something like this. Work the oil into my hair when I get home in the evening. I use enough to make it all look wet with oil. Then just wrap it up and clip it in a bun so I can run around and do whatever I'm going to do like eat, read, chores, etc. I don't use any extra heat. When I'm ready to head to bed an hour or three later, I work a small amount of shampoo into my scalp and rinse down over my hair. This seems to get enough oil out to keep my fine and light hair from looking oily and right after doing this conditioning with oil, I don't use any other conditioner or mask. I only do the oil treatment once a month or so depending how busy I am.

Normally I just use a small amount of shampoo on my scalp about once a week (less frequent washing will help keep it from drying out as much too), conditioner on the ends, and a bit of oil rubbed into the ends while still wet to keep them from drying out. If it looks too greasy for me in between washes, I put it in a pony-tail, and use a pinhead sized drop of shampoo to just wash my hair line by tipping the front of my head under the sink. This lets me get rid of extra grease right where it builds up without having to wash my whole head of hair. Saves time and isn't as hard on your hair.

Here is what my hair looks like just for reference. Sorry if it's not super neat, I'm cheep so I always cut it myself.

IMG_5529.jpg
    ~Ariel

http://arielcsblog.blogspot.com/

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think jojoba is better for the hair than olive oil, which tends to be heavy and greasy.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    My hair has improved loads after dropping all/most of the products. I really just use shampoo (an aveda violet one, color thing) and then run my hands through my hair after i'm out of the shower with just the teensy bit of olive oil.

I even heat-style it (again, no product; the horror) every weekday and my hair stylist always comments how healthy my hair is. Mine used to be dry, dead, frizzy. Bad hair

For me, coconut oil ended up being too greasy, even with barely any used. It just never absorbed into the hair. Olive oil does, for me.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i am a curly girl.

gave up shampoo over 2 years ago and co-wash with an all natural product 3-4 times per week. styling product also all natural. 2-3 times per week i do a deep condition with coconut oil on dry hair. wet hair won't absorb as well. i cover my pillow with a t-shirt, go to sleep, then just rinse my head with water in the shower in the morning. my hair has improved dramatically from this. i no longer towel-dry my hair because the nubs on the towel weave will "irritate" the hair. i wrap my head in an old t-shirt after a shower. never brush wet hair, only use a comb.

oh, and unless you are a coal-miner you don't need to wash your hair everyday.

adding gelatin to your diet may help you too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Ariel, you have absolutely beautiful hair!! I'm jealous!! My hair is always fizzy and crazy…I'm going to try your idea tomorrow and see if it helps.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Ariel C. McGlothin is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. My hair can be frizzy and crazy too, just depends on the day, the humidity, the way the stars are aligned, etc. My hair is naturally somewhere in between wavy and strait. I'd really like to work towards using no shampoo or conditioner, but so far my experiments have not produced results that I love.
    ~Ariel

http://arielcsblog.blogspot.com/

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Grassfed4me is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi

I oil my hair (coconut, olive oil, palm oil, etc) and let it sit awhile (2 teaspoons of oil will be more than enough) (I put the oil on dry hair and brush it through). Sometimes I sit in a sauna with my hair oiled. When I wash it, I only use baking soda & water with a vinegar & water rinse (your hair will not feel squeaky clean - that's okay). Between washes, it's not uncommon to go 3-5 days between washes, I brush my hair using a boars hair bristle brush (Goode makes on for about $9). The boars hair bristles move my hair's natural oils (sebum) down the length of the hair shaft.

If nothing seems to help, consider having your thyroid checked. A symptom of hypothyroidism is dry hair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12