Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural Medicine: Omega 3's as good for depression w/out anxiety as meds page

slacker is offline Senior Member

Lightbulb Natural Medicine: Omega 3's as good for depression w/out anxiety as meds

Shop Now
    from Eurekalert, Public release date: 21-Jun-2010

Centre hospitalier de l'Université de Montréal

Encouraging results from the largest clinical study ever conducted on treating depression with Omega-3

The use of Omega-3 supplements is effective among patients with major depression who do not have anxiety disorders, according to a study directed by Dr. François Lespérance of the Centre de recherche du Centre hospitalier at the Université de Montréal (CRCHUM), head of CHUM's Department of Psychiatry and a professor at the Université de Montréal. The study was published June 15 in the online Journal of Clinical Psychiatry.

This was the largest study ever conducted assessing Omega-3's efficacy in treating major depression. It was carried out in conjunction with researchers from centres affiliated with the UdM's Réseau universitaire intégré de santé (RUIS), from McGill University, Université Laval in Quebec City and Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. The study was supported by the European firm isodisnatura, the Fondation du CHUM and the CRCHUM.

Initial analyses failed to clearly demonstrate the effectiveness of Omega-3 for all patients taking part in the study. Other analyses, however, revealed that Omega-3 improved depression symptoms in patients diagnosed with depression unaccompanied by an anxiety disorder. Efficacy for these patients was comparable to that generally observed with conventional antidepressant treatment.

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    Are you from montreal?

I know that omega 3 and vit D are great for depression in most cases. I sell them by the bunch at work and most of my clients say that it actually work.
    Anyway, they are the only supplements I enjoy selling (I only value them).
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Vitamin D and Ω3 (fish oil) in combination.

Saved My Life.

*said without a trace of hyperbole*

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium too. And let's just say every other nutrient because they all affect something that ends up improving mood.

The take-home message: get the shit into your body that your body needs to run its shit. Or else shit breaks. Also don't break your shit with bad shit.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for that, Stabby.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Haha. With stellar advice like that who needs you, Grokologist? Nobody, that's who.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    I hope this will lead to doctors appreciating how overmedicated the population is. Between the food pyramid's foundation being foods that increase leptin and insulin resistance, and the advice to avoid the sun, what a public health train wreck!

I always knew butter and cream (iced or otherwise) made me cheerful. I thought it was just the pleasure.

I have started reading Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories. I am only 50 pp in or so and my mind is blown already. Amazing reading. Going to try to get my doctor to read it. Wish me luck.

Bisous is offline Senior Member

Schneider is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Magnesium too.
    I agree ..

I took vitamin D, Omega's 3 and magnesium together in the last few weeks and the change in my mood/energy level was very significant!

Quote Originally Posted by Bisous View Post
    That.Blog.Is.Awesome! Thank you very much. Combines my love of evolutionary psychology and evolutionary nutrition/healing in a paleo sandwich (wheat-free) of joy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast