Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: P90X- results people have had? page 5

Bobandy is offline Junior Member
    I had okay results, I did it in college so my results were curbed by partying and poor lifestyle, but ya it was overtraining.

I did learn a ton of moves and incorporated them into my routine, so ya I took a lot away from it. Even if you don't follow the workout routine, some of the moves are sweet.

The yoga is pretty sweet. I had quite a bit of experience doing yoga, and it is very intense (and long at over 90 mins). I would say if you're worried about form, go to a beginner yoga class once or twice and learn the basics, then give it a try.

vggriff is offline Junior Member
    I went from 240 to 212 in 90 days. For me, someone who has worked out for roughly 30+ years, the issue was the time commitment. 1 hour per day, 6 days per week in addition to being a husband and father of two while working long hours at work, the program is not sustainable over the long haul.

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    My experience with it was I lost weight and gained muscle initially, but despite all the "muscle confusion" design of the program, I plateaued and burned out. Did two rounds. I hung on Tony's every word- and gave 110 percent, so I thought that feeling like marinated dog crap was how a hard-training athlete was supposed to feel when really training hard.

To reiterate, though, the workouts are not bad for primal if you cut them down to a half-hour and just give it your all-- and do them no more than twice a week.

Anyone in the fitness forum here, or on this thread wondering "which fitness program to crush," remember- losing weight and reprogramming your genes is 90% diet, and 10% how you exercise.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    My own experience mirrors the advice of Mark and many others, that an intense program like P90x is not a good one for weight loss if that's your main goal. I'd try 1 hr brisk walk before breakfast every morning, sprints once per week, and a day or two of intense heavy lifting as a weight loss-centric exercise plan. If you want to lose weight fast, you'll need to be on a caloric deficit regardless of your carb intake, eventually - and this will affect your recovery ability for an intense daily exercise program and make you feel like "marinated dog crap" - by comparison, I am currently on a 5 days per week weight lifting sched, but I make sure to eat lots and lots of food every day to maintain or gain weight overall - and I don't feel like soiled underpants every day. Only after deadlifting...
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    You must first realize that the "classic" P90X is not a weight lose program. It's a strength training program. The Lean version focuses more on weight lose. If losing weight is your goal, it's more about diet than the exercise. I have completed P90X, Insanity and Asylum. All are great programs that deliver results if you are committed. Yes, they tend to fall into the over training/chronic cardio. But then again, take a look at Tony. He's a madman and he's 53. The issue with most of these programs, and Mark has stated this before, is sustainability. Most people can't do P90X for the rest of their lives.

If you want to get in shape, P90X will getyou there. There is no doubt about it. The greatest gift P90X will bestow upon you is the freedom to explore other workouts you couldn't do prior to completing the program.

UK Guy is offline Senior Member
    Hi befitby40......just my 2 cents worth but muscle confusion is really just a fitness industry buzzword and marketing hype. Initial gains made by changing variables are often just neural adaptations to the new exercise, which lead to strength gains, not muscular adaptations. The fitness industry is driven by profit. Supplements need replacing often. A good exercise routine less so. This is my opinion why muscle confusion was born. It requires frequent changes in routine and the necessity of an "expert" trainer to write and implement them. In the history of athletics and strength training there are many examples of strong people who got that way with little if any variety. Even cross training has been proved not to work for making gains in ones primary activity. When Dr Ken Leistner asked Norb Schemansky how he could improve his press overhead, expecting some program with many facets, he was simply told unceremoniously, "just press".

UK Guy is offline Senior Member
    Also just another point to the thread in general. I think that Mr Horton and the company that promote this stuff have recognised that there is a problem surrounding the time commitment and sustainability issues. On British TV I've also seen a program designed by Mr Horton called "10 minute trainer". The adverts seem to promise similar results. ( as they all seem to do ) with the added incentive of being an excuse buster due to it being much shorter in duration. If all these programs promise similar results then the solution seems simple to me. The only real time investment needed is that which is required for some initial research, then design your own program to fit your own strengths and weaknesses, preferences and lifestyle. Only you know your own particular circumstances. You are best qualified to be your own trainer. You can best evaluate progress or lack of it and can make changes accordingly. Even a one to one Personal Trainer can't do that as well as yourself. These dvd programs ( Insanity, P90x 10 Minute Trainer etc ) are a bit one size fits all in their concept. Everything works and nothing works. There are almost as many training styles as there are trainers. Each has their champions, and each have their large section of failures. Genetics are more responsible than anything else for success and responsiveness to a program. You see all the before and after photos on the adverts. Of course they are only going to highlight the high responders. They are not going to give details of the many who got bored, burned out or got injured, but they may outnumber the successes by a factor of 10 or more. Although I do love this site and respect Mr Sisson and what he is trying to do, and agree with practically everything he says, even he wouldn't highlight the failures on his weekly lifestyle stories. Just wouldn't be good for business. It makes sense. Just remember to factor this variable into your thinking when you are weighing up whether or not to buy a book, dvd or follow a particular approach.

CavemanCop is offline Junior Member
    if you dont get any results from doing of push ups, pull ups, or squats for 45-60 minutes a day 4X a week (which pretty much sums up P90X), it will not be because the program doesn't work. P90X is a good program for people who don't want to go to a gym and/or have difficulty pushing them selves when and if they ever do workout.

PookDo is offline Senior Member
    I haven't done P90X but I am starting Power 90 this Sunday to work my way up to it. Not so worried about building muscle as just get in unreal shape and getting lean. That and having great cardio for the zombie apocalypse would be awesome
    Last edited by PookDo; 11-29-2011 at 09:08 AM.

xmikew is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have done 4 rounds of P90X and 1 of Insanity
    although I have lost 60 pounds I am not quite there yet, I DID NOT FOLLOW THE DIETS LIKE I SHOULD HAVE, good programs , but follow the Primal Blueprint you will do better.. Follow the dite for 95% of the time and you will rock!
    I have for the last 6 weeks, lost that nagging pants size that took 3 months to lose and I am on Fire!

Check out the article I posted today, it is all about getting enough good fats!

Bring it Friends !!

X Mike

Daily Ratios of Fats, Carbs & Protein, The Primal Blueprint ~ X MIKE

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast