Thread: Need a little help interpreting weird cholesterol and thyroid results page

TamiO is offline Member

Need a little help interpreting weird cholesterol and thyroid results

Primal Fuel
    POST EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION OF THYROID DATA:

It has been a few years since I last had any testing done, and during that time I've switched to eating Primal (not strict 100%) but probably an 80/20. I sometimes eat crackers, bread maybe once every few weeks. My sugar in general is very low other than occasional dark chocolate or honey. My only dairy is heavy cream and butter. Mostly meat, veggies, coconut oil, butter, kefir. I am a fairly regular exerciser, pilates about 3-4 times a week and about 2 miles of walking every day.

I'm 42 and 126 pounds, BF in the not great but not terrible range of about 26%.

My cholesterol was tested for the first time about 15 years ago, and it came back about 300 total. Don't remember the details of trigs or hdl or anything. I was eating pretty bad, so I changed my diet, exercise, etc. to what was considered 'good' by CW (low-fat was the focus). When I ended up with gallbladder issues a few years later I went even more low-fat, thinking that my fat intake was the issue. A gallbladder flush fixed the problems, and I did not have it removed. About 4 years ago I had brought the number down to about 220 total after diet and exercise changes and NO statins.

Fast forward to now. Throughout the last 15 years my weight has not fluctuated significantly, been between 123-126 pretty consistently (5'2" tall). I started Primal about 2 years ago.

I went the self-testing route and got an NMR Lipoprofile and Thyroid panel from DirectLabs.

Here are the basic chol nums:
    TC - 324
    HDL - 65
    Trigs - 91
    LDL-C - 241
    LDL-P - 2803 (!)
    Small LDL-P - 781
    Large VLDL-P - < .80
    Large HDL-P - 8.4
    LDL Size - 21.7
    HDL Size 9.3

I seem to be in the 'Large Pattern A' size part of the scale.

Insulin Resistance LP-IR score - <25
    HS-CRP - .71

My numbers seem a little strange. My TG/HDL is 1.4, which is ok, my size seems to be large and fluffy, and I have low CRP (.71). However, my LDL-P is through the roof! I'm having trouble figuring out what might be wrong here, as it seems like that particle count is WAY too high. My Vitamin D is too high right now (118) since I've been supplementing for the last couple of years to bring it up from a level of 9. I can easily back off of that. I added K-2 about a year ago, as I read you should not take D without K-2.

Any thoughts? My Thyroid info is below, and I'm wondering if the Thyroid and Chol results are related, even though the thyroid values seem to be in 'normal' ranges. I've had some symptoms which could be pointing to hypothroid (always cold, serious patches of dry skin which never go away, thinning hair).

TSH - 2.160
    T4 - 8.6
    T3 Uptake - 33
    Free Thyroxine Index - 2.8
    T4 Free, Direct, S - 1.2
    Reverse T3, Serum - 10.5

Honestly, I was expecting that I would have the same results as most folks who switch to Primal/Paleo, in that my total cholesterol would be up, but particle size and count would be fine. The fact that the LDL-P is so high while the trigs and hdl are ok and a fairly low CRP and good insulin sensitivity are confusing.

Any thoughts here would be great. I don't have a history of people dying young from heart disease anywhere in my family, although both my parents have high blood pressure and cholesterol in their 60s (lifelong smokers and poor diet).

Sorry, that was a lot of info, but any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

Tami
    Last edited by TamiO; 02-19-2014 at 07:45 AM.

maile1 is offline Senior Member
    for the thyroid numbers it would be helpful if you posted the ranges as well

TamiO is offline Member
    TSH - 2.160 (.45-4.5)
    T4 - 8.6 (4.5-12)
    T3 Uptake - 33 (24-39)
    Free Thyroxine - 2.8 (1.2-4.9)
    Free T4 - 1.2 (.82-1.77)
    Reverse T3 - 10.5 (9.2-24.1)

My concern here is that though everything seems to fall into normal ranges, I have heard a lot about this being misleading.

snoops is online now Senior Member
    my tests show lab ranges and "optimal" ranges and yours are within both so thyroid seems not to be an issue (the optimal numbers are per my chiro who is very pro-active in dealing with thyroid issues(along with other stuff)

Martini is offline Member
    my LDL-P is through the roof! I'm having trouble figuring out what might be wrong here
    The Value might just be plain wrong - like in a messurment failure. As I understand it every other value is fine
    and this one is way off ? If its like that the logic conclusion is the above.

Uzito is offline Junior Member
    I had TC, LDL-C and LDL-P in crazy range. Cut out the butter - TC and LDL-C went down significantly, LDL-P went down about 1/3.

pilot is offline Senior Member
    Have the tests run again. They can and do make mistakes.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TamiO View Post
    TSH - 2.160 (.45-4.5)
    T4 - 8.6 (4.5-12)
    T3 Uptake - 33 (24-39)
    Free Thyroxine - 2.8 (1.2-4.9)
    Free T4 - 1.2 (.82-1.77)

Reverse T3 - 10.5 (9.2-24.1)

My concern here is that though everything seems to fall into normal ranges, I have heard a lot about this being misleading.
    The highlighted results don't make sense. Free thyroxine is free T4 so I do not understand 2 different results for the same thing. Is there a typo somewhere?

TamiO is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Sorry, the Free Thyroxine actually should read Free Thyroxine Index, that's what is marked on my lab results. I edited in the first post. Sorry for the confusion. I am not thyroid-savvy, so I have no idea what that value measures.

Tami