Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop Fit-shaming. Ladies: Being healthy and beautiful is good. page 33

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    LOL, I ate a big old Cuban sandwich and sweet potato fries. I just started a new job and they took me to lunch. Today is my powerlifting meet which means you EAT like a mofo the day before.

One of my coworkers mistook powerlifting for bodybuilding and was kind of surprised at my food choice and was all "wow, when my friend did that, he was just drinking water". Oh no.... LOL. Not the same thing. He must have thought I was the worst bodybuilder ever. That someone thought I was going to spray myself orange and prance in bikini made me laugh.

But uh, yeah, all of you eat a damn sandwich.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    positive motivation to a larger group of sedentary people, including men, and used her kids an example that even for very busy people is it possible to stay in shape?
    She has a nanny for the kids and works in fitness.

And I think that was her goal- to say "look at me, I'm busy but fit". But she missed the mark because 1. she has a nanny and 2. her job is to be fit. So.... not quite that impressive and not really a useful message for most women. Now my sister in law works a demanding job outside of the gym, no nanny and manages to stay fit and lost her pregnancy weight quickly. Her input is probably more relevant to most women.

If your job is to go to a gym every day and spend time there and help people, you should look amazing.

My Doctor Fat-Shamed Me... And It Kind Of Worked Because It Made Me Think I Should Lose Weight | xoJane

I would agree though, that we are going to far with the definition of being shamed. Fat is a health issue. We are getting to the point where people get bent about their doctor saying something. The gal in the article is 5' 200lbs. Not 20 lbs overweight or dealing with jiggly thighs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

I think everybody is dancing around the actual point of this stuff. Women are nasty, petty creatures who hate each other. They compare other women constantly and they compare themselves to other women constantly. So either the woman in the pic was being genuine and light hearted and millions of women lost their shit and over reacted (quite possible) or the woman in the pic was being a bitch and taunting others and they reacted accordingly (also quite possible). Social media has only made a woman's inability to mind her own business even worse. I think the moral of the story is this: ladies, if you were in the kitchen making me a damn sandwich, you wouldn't have time for all of thes childish facebook feuding. If this offends you, you're part of the problem, not part of the solution

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I think everybody is dancing around the actual point of this stuff. Women are nasty, petty creatures who hate each other. They compare other women constantly and they compare themselves to other women constantly. So either the woman in the pic was being genuine and light hearted and millions of women lost their shit and over reacted (quite possible) or the woman in the pic was being a bitch and taunting others and they reacted accordingly (also quite possible). Social media has only made a woman's inability to mind her own business even worse. I think the moral of the story is this: ladies, if you were in the kitchen making me a damn sandwich, you wouldn't have time for all of thes childish facebook feuding. If this offends you, you're part of the problem, not part of the solution
    If you aren't part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

--------

Women do hate each other for the most part. It's quite sad... Because if not for the strifes we would have ruled the world by now.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post

--------

Women do hate each other for the most part. It's quite sad... Because if not for the strifes we would have ruled the world by now.
    God gave the Irish whiskey, and so he gave women social media.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I remember one of the professors at the University that carried a large white beard, and the students on the first row were always speculating on what he had been eating for breakfast; yellow stains = eggs, crumbles & red stains = toast with strawberry jams etc.! Maybe a good reason not to grow face hairs...
    Excuses!

Everyone knows that beards are awesome and that, with proper attention and care, wouldn't have these sorts of issues. Just because that one guy was not appropriate with his beards doesn't give anyone an excuse not to have a beard and not to take care of said beard!

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post

--------

chemistry!

Honestly though, it's amazing that women don't rule the world. What I've seen in several companies with women in leadership roles is that when times get tough, emotions often get in the way. It's just the way you ladies are hard-wired. I've witnessed love, hate, pettiness, cursing, hugging, and downright craziness. And that was over the course of an hour. These are high paid ceos, presidents, etc losing their minds in big meetings and deals. I'm not saying you ladies can't rule the world and run things. You're intelligent, thoughtful, organized, and everything you need to be. But the crazies just take over. I saw it again yesterday when our director (man) was telling our assistant director (woman) how to handle a situation that she wasn't handling appropriately. The cfo and ceo were also in the room. When she wasn't getting her way, she literally said "whatever" in a snotty tone, got up, walked out and slammed the door behind her. Wtf? This is a 52 year old professional having a temper tantrum like a 5 year old girl. And THAT is why women will never rule the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    God gave the Irish whiskey, and so he gave women social media.
    everybody has a cross to bear

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't actually think women are "hard wired" that way.

But, I do think that a lot of us are trained that way, and that it takes a lot to overcome that training/programming. I work hard at it, personally.

My experience is that a lot of women don't work on it. In the early days of their careers, they tend to do two things: 1. "ape" male behavior so they seem like "one of the boys" but aren't (it's a very false process); and 2. they are quite ambitious and will ruthlessly work (usually through all kinds of social manipulations of women in gate-keepign positions) to get the job that they want.

And, generally, they may be smart and capable, but because they never really learned the rules of business (which are neither "male" nor "female" exactly, but men seem to be more aware/comfortable with these rules, or are taught them, etc), then they discover that they are now at a 'top' where their peers cannot be manipulated in the same ways, and the "aping" is fraudulent and they (the women) are insecure about that as well as most of the men being able to see through it more or less.

I do know women who are very competent at high-level positions. They are the ones who understand the rules of business/professionalism, didn't manipulate their way there (and are often hated for that), and aren't being anything other than what they are.

A lot of french female scientists have figured this out.
    Last edited by zoebird; 02-22-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Excuses!

Everyone knows that beards are awesome and that, with proper attention and care, wouldn't have these sorts of issues. Just because that one guy was not appropriate with his beards doesn't give anyone an excuse not to have a beard and not to take care of said beard!
    To beard or not to beard, that is the question! Well, I leave the bearded look to the smaller fishes in the pond, like RichMahogany & Co, they need it more than me - but I may use the beard card in the future if needed! Until then I will stay un-bearded, but I can grow a decent beard within a week or two, to get the look that some women likes. Well, I have to dye it a little in my age, at least if I should go for the Hercules look:

Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Gorbagcules!

Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast