Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop Fit-shaming. Ladies: Being healthy and beautiful is good. page 2

DavidBrennan is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Reventon View Post
    You can't really call it censoring when Facebook is basically a giant online social club filled with shitty advertising, not a legitimate media outlet.
    It is literally textbook definition of "censoring", and therefore it should be called censoring.

You want Facebook to censor the healthy and beautiful mother, but you want the censorship to be covered up with a different word. What word?
    Last edited by DavidBrennan; 02-18-2014 at 03:20 AM.

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBrennan View Post
    It is literally textbook definition of "censoring", and therefore it should be called censoring.

What is your synonym for Facebook's censorship and bullying of this beautiful woman, that you prefer? You want Facebook to censor the healthy and beautiful mother, but you want the censorship to be covered up with a different word. What word?
    I was prepared to play on the basis you might be something other than a troll. Clearly not the case. Well played dipshit.

Now go head back under your bridge.

lva
    lva is offline Member
    If she was simply saying 'I'm proud of myself' that would be one thing. But what she is saying is 'why don't you look like me?' THAT is bullying.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think the problem with Kang's was her approach.

"what's your excuse?" -- subtext, you are a failure and a problem if you don't look like me.

I don't look like her. I also don't have 3 kids (another failure?). I also work (another failure?) rather than having a partner wealthy enough to support me (another failure?) which completely doesn't even recognize that I might *enjoy* the work that I do and the amount of hours that I put into it.

So, you know, when I read her message -- as a fit person -- I was like "why would i use your effing ruler/standard?"

I had a problem with her "message" too. As a working mom of only one, I should be totally more glamourous and have a totally nicer/fancier house and as fit or more fit than she is. Why aren't i? What's my excuse?

Oh, my excuse is -- I don't want to live her life or her way. So, that's my excuse. And i'm *FIT*.

Now, on the flip side, I think that attacking people who are thin/fit are also part of the problem. We aren't lucky -- it's a simple process of good food in the proper amounts, adequate movement, and plenty of sleep. Yes, there will be some people who will never get thin by beauty standards, but she can still be fit.

We know that's the common knowledge, and we know that the excuses are many. BUT, it's also ok for someone to say "you know what? I'm prioritizing something else." So, their health might get the hit, but the rest of it? eh, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by lva View Post
    If she was simply saying 'I'm proud of myself' that would be one thing. But what she is saying is 'why don't you look like me?' THAT is bullying.
    Totally. I think if she approached at "look what I accomplished in the last year!" then I think everyone would be like "yay, you rule!" But because she didn't -- and instead turned it on everyone else -- that's not cool.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Totally. I think if she approached at "look what I accomplished in the last year!" then I think everyone would be like "yay, you rule!"
    Nah. People would still say she has good genes/works out too much/ignores her kids.

Sent via lightsaber

Sure, but she also would not have been as attacked as she was.

I call that the "common criticism." Women really can't win for losing (as my husband says). If you work, you neglect your kids. If you stay at home, you are not contributing to the family's bottom line and/or choosing poverty etc. If you work out, you are self centered,if you don't work out, then you are lazy. etc etc etc.

I guess I'm just so used to that, I hardly see it as criticism.
    Last edited by zoebird; 02-18-2014 at 09:27 AM.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Well, while I do not agree 100% with the fit mom's approach, let's not fool ourselves into thinking that persons do not make excuses for being unfit/over weight. Hell, I still make excuses at 100 pounds less than my start weight. Also, am I the only one who has ever met the pregnant woman who is 'eating for two'? Which based on what is on her plate would make sense if the other one was a T-Rex. I mean, do tadpole-sized pre-humans really need 2 pints of ice cream and a jar of peanut butter? Perhaps they do. I dunno. But I have seen pregnant women eat well and exercise and end up with a healthy baby and also maintain their fitness and have also seen women do nothing but eat and gain 50 pounds and shrug saying "Well, I just had a baby." One is an excuse. It might not be nice to say it, nor will we all look like the chick with 3 kids, but lets not pass off personal responsibility completely here.

BTW it is not bullying to say "Hey, I have 3 kids and look awesome. You don't." That is called reality. Brad Pitt is not bullying me if he says, "Dude, you don't have these abs." He's right. I don't.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

quikky is offline Senior Member
    It's our bullshit PC culture. Soon, no criticism of anything or anyone will be okay. Everything is about acceptance of everything and everyone. Sorry, but not everything is acceptable and not everyone should be tolerated. This mentality is what will lead us to the Wall-E world.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Nah. People would still say she has good genes/works out too much/ignores her kids.
    Yeah, because not stuffing cake in your face is genetic.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast