Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My homemade toothpaste is making my teeth worse?! page

blondiegreen is online now Senior Member

Help! My homemade toothpaste is making my teeth worse?!

Primal Fuel
    I've been using a homemade toothpaste for awhile now, and it seems that my dental health keeps getting worse.
    I was looking in my mouth for canker sores and noticed two huge black lines along the gum line, which I assume are cavities.

My toothpaste consists of coconut oil, peppermint castile soap, xylitol and a bit of baking soda.

I used to use regular toothpaste, and never had any issues until I was in my early 20s.

My dental/oral health has gone completely downhill since I was first pregnant in 2006. Is it a hormonal thing?

Is homemade toothpaste REALLY better for your teeth? I'm hesitant to keep using it if my teeth are going to rot or crumble before my eyes.
    Last edited by blondiegreen; 02-17-2014 at 02:31 PM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    You can't see cavities. What's in your paste?
    The Champagne of Beards

blondiegreen is online now Senior Member
    My toothpaste is coconut oil, peppermint castile soap, xylitol and baking soda.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Well, I can't see what's on your teeth from here, but all those things are probably good or neutral to use on your teeth. There's nothing magical in the store bought stuff unless you're a flouride believer.
    The Champagne of Beards

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I've stopped using toothpaste.

Have you tried oil pulling?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    I use just coconut oil and love it. My teeth are great and I will never go back to toothpaste!
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    I personally still use conventional tooth paste and aluminum laced deodorant... I haven't had any cavities for a very long time.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    go to the dentist.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Rexanne is offline Junior Member
    Do you have caps on your teeth..All of a sudden I saw a black line at my gum line but it was the bottom of the cap...It looked really strange though.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I've stopped using toothpaste.

Have you tried oil pulling?
    This is always a good idea. And with it's antibacterial properties, coconut oil might be the ideal oil for this purpose.

Also, try taking a tablespoon of water, adding two drops of neem (might be called neem seed, same thing) oil and using that as an additive-free mouthwash. It'll taste horrible, but trust me, it's 100% worth it. In Ayurvedic medicine, they used neem oil as a potent antimicrobial for centuries to cover wounds, treat tooth decay, and kill bad breath germs. Do NOT swallow this though, as your gut bacteria will NOT like you.

Aside from the oil however, ancient Indian yogis were reputed to have used neem tree branches as toothbrushes. They just used the branches straight, didn't put anything on them as a toothpaste. They instinctively seemed to understand how potent it was for killing germs.

One last thing, if you can get a good, filler-free brand of xylitol gum (and you're not afraid of one or two grams of carbs), chew on a piece or two a day. There is evidence that xylitol shows promise for actually helping to reminalize teeth. I like this brand, which they sell at my local Whole Foods. It's aspartame and even soy-free:

Pur Gum - Home
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast