Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Turbo Tax and, if so, yay or nay? page

Pheebie is online now Senior Member

Anyone tried Turbo Tax and, if so, yay or nay?

Primal Fuel
    Every year I go to a CPA with our paperwork. Costs about $130 or so, and I'm looking for a less expensive alternative. Our taxes are pretty straight-forward (or so I would think). It's just me & my husband - no kids, no extra income, just our regular FT jobs, etc. We seem like we'd be the perfect candidates for Turbo Tax, but it looks TOO easy.

Any experiences, good or bad, would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I use it every year. It's a pain in the ass because every few screens, you have to click "no, I don't wish to upgrade to the more expensive version," but it works fine. You do have to pay to file your state taxes through them, or you can send in a paper version.
    The Champagne of Beards

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Yeap, I've used it several times. Also used H&R Block's site. You can search online for coupons to get discounts on the paid versions as well. Very simple, never had any problems with it, even when resubmitting (the error-checking stuff is great).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Turbo tax is pretty easy but not as easy as just doing the basic 1040EZ form. So if your taxes are simple enough for the EZ form, you may as well just do that. The worst thing about Turbo tax is that you have to click through a million screens asking you questions and if your taxes are really simple, you answer a million questions designed to determine if you qualify for this or that tax break and the answer always ends up as no so you get nothing for your efforts, so it can feel like a waste of time. Except I suppose it's nice to know you didn't miss out on something you've never heard of. And then when you go to print it prints out about 75 pages and is really hard to figure out what you need to send in and what you can throw away. The best thing is that it saves the file year to year and when you load up the program for the next year it remembers a lot of things so you have less to fill out.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    I've used it every year for 8 or 9 years now.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Pheebie is online now Senior Member
    Thanks, guys. I think we'll give Turbo Tax a go this year - it has to be cheaper than going to the CPA. Less time-consuming also (even with all that clicking & page printing that's been mentioned.)

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    We have used it for over a dozen years. Easy and simple. Our first year we went to the tax lady AND did turbo tax to see if there would be a difference, and it came out exactly the same down to the penny. We were sold and have used it forever. Our kids all use it too. We buy it and all share it. They only have to pay to file.

Good luck!
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheebie View Post
    Thanks, guys. I think we'll give Turbo Tax a go this year - it has to be cheaper than going to the CPA. Less time-consuming also (even with all that clicking & page printing that's been mentioned.)
    You can also use it more than once a year. I usually do mine, my brother's, my mother's (and her late boyfriend's until he died) and both of my mother's parents (they divorced after 40-50 years of marriage because they get more social security benefits being single haha), because they all live here and we can get by without having to buy any extra states.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Willow16 is offline Member
    We have used it for years but won't be using it this year. Last year, when I put in for the college expenses deduction, it came back with some ridiculous amount that we owed (like $30,000). When I didn't put in that deduction, everything was fine. I wound up using the forms rather than Turbo Tax because I wanted to take the college deduction. This year, I'll be doing them on paper and mailing them in.

I'm thinking this was just a fluke but I tried it over and over. It might have had to do with the fact that the college sent us a statement for the full amount and it didn't take into consideration my daughter's scholarship. When we subtracted the scholarship, Turbo Tax didn't seem to like that.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use it every year. It's a pain, but I have to file a schedule C, so there's no good way around it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast