Thread: What is the best way to cook stir fry? page

jedward2 is offline Senior Member

What is the best way to cook stir fry?

Shop Now
    Tonight I am using green peppers, onions, Worcestershire, and beef sirloin streak strips. Do most people use oil to get the veggies going or just let the juice of the veggies do their thing? Any ideas to spice up the stir fry?

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I've done both. Dry pan gives me a roasted flavor, while cooking in coconut oil, for example, gives a more fried flavor (and ups the good fats). If you dry pan, watch out the the Worcestershire, for it may gum up (don't remember). When meat is involved, I prefer using oil.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Depending on how juicy your meat is, stir frying the meat in toasted sesame oil makes a great sauce. The veggies only add to the goodness.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

TCM
    TCM is offline Junior Member
    I like to cook the meat in oil and spices first, then set it aside, then cook the veggies in the same oil that's still in the pan, then add the meat back at the end and mix it all together. Cooking the veggies in the same oil as the meat gives them good flavor. I'd like to get better at stir fries though, I feel mine still aren't as flavorful as they could be.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Bacon fat! Or olive oil. Or, butter.

Gator is offline Senior Member
    Start with oil, crushed or chopped garlic and ginger. Oil should be hot but not smoking. Before garlic and ginger turn brown, remove them. Add meat. Then leave meat in wok or take out---your choice---and add vegetables---your choice. Just at end, return meat into wok and stir. Add any other spices that appeal to you during the cooking.

I avoid thick sauces. Just don't like them. If you are going Japanese forget the garlic and maybe the ginger too.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I always use coconut oil as my base. A handful of broken cashews near the end adds a nice touch to stir-fries.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Where did you get Worcestershire sauce that doesn't have HFCS?

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    i start with lard or coconut oil and add in butter once things get cookin'