Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antibiotics for toddler page 3

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Was the dr. able to determine whether the ear infection was caused by bacteria or virus? Antibiotic would not be an effective treatment in case it's the latter, which sounds like the more likely kind as you mentioned fever.
    I do believe that there are certain ailments in young kids where antibiotics are the fastest and most effective treatment and I'm not really opposed to giving/taking them if really needed.

FWIW, I was given ton of antibiotics as a child, even for minor stuff, and I'm still a very healthy adult.
    I gave my daughter heaps of antibiotics as a baby as she constantly had ear infections.
    She's 10 and had to have 8 baby teeth removed as they were deformed when they came through her gums.
    Dentist said it's most often caused by antibiotics, they can interfere with formation while under the gums.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    I gave my daughter heaps of antibiotics as a baby as she constantly had ear infections.
    She's 10 and had to have 8 baby teeth removed as they were deformed when they came through her gums.
    Dentist said it's most often caused by antibiotics, they can interfere with formation while under the gums.

Was that doxycyline that she was on? Or another tetracycline?

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthlymumma View Post
    Was that doxycyline that she was on? Or another tetracycline?
    No she was usually on amoxicillin

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    The dr mentioned amoxicillin is the most common because it's most effective, but she prescribed azithromycin because the pharmacy can prepare it in a way that's easier for dd to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Glad to hear your daughter is better!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Well, from what I know (and google re-confirmed it) it could be either or. I don't know which type is more common though.
    My son had an ear infection once as an infant and I know how frustrating this can be.

I'm glad your daughter is feeling better.
    Thanks Graycat and Urban Forager!

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    I remember how hard it was to stay away from giving my kids antibiotics when they were obviously in pain. I usually gave in and got it for them. Mostly for my older son as my daughter has rarely needed them. I don't recall getting them as a kid, probably wasn't around very much in those days, only used for severe cases - the way it should be.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I've had ear infections many, many times in my life. They can be agonizingly painful. I would give her the antibiotics and supplement with probiotics afterwards. Breastmilk too if you can. But I wouldn't let her just suffer through it.

Quote Originally Posted by eats.meats.west View Post
    I don't recall getting them as a kid, probably wasn't around very much in those days, only used for severe cases - the way it should be.
    I wonder why ear infections weren't common before? I don't remember having them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I've had ear infections many, many times in my life. They can be agonizingly painful. I would give her the antibiotics and supplement with probiotics afterwards. Breastmilk too if you can. But I wouldn't let her just suffer through it.
    Getting my daughter to take medicine is a huge struggle. She always spits everything out. Because of this I'm reluctant to start a course of medication that needs to be finished (vs a one-time dose of painkiller). Anyway, she recovered fully the day after I posted... which means the antibiotics weren't necessary after all.

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    I read somewhere ear infections can be caused by allergies. Dont know if thats already common knowledge?
    They should not be a natural part of childhood. If they are chronic its a sign of something for sure.

Im glad she's all better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123