Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antibiotics for toddler page 2

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I put some breastmilk in her ear when the infection started a few days ago.

Well, I decided on the wait-and-see approach after we got home from the doctor yesterday. I filled in the prescription for the antibiotic just in case.

Last night, when she had a mild fever and was crying about the pain in her ear, I tried to give her tylenol. I chased her around the apartment. At the end she spat all the tylenol out and said Mama, NO OUCHIE. She stopped crying and fell asleep eventually.

She didn't have fever anymore after midnight, and got up this morning in a good mood. So far so good.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    If you end up using hydrogen peroxide, I recommend warming it slightly. I put it in a dropper and set the dropper in hot (tap) water. You don't want it hot but warm feels a lot better than cold.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChopper View Post
    Probiotics after, happy?
    Your talking to a stranger on the internet, yeah?
    You don't know what knowledge said person has.
    So therefore it's best to state everything, like take probiotics after the antibiotics.

Maybe I just think differently in this aspect.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

I've never used hydrogen peroxide for anything. Maybe I should keep some on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I've never used hydrogen peroxide for anything. Maybe I should keep some on hand.
    HP is great. It's very inexpensive and can be used for a lot of things. When I feel a sore throat coming on I immediately gargle with a mixture of half HP and half warm water. I do this every couple of hours. I've stopped many sore throats this way. This Winter I told my brother about it and he tried and sure enough it worked for him too.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Urban Forager, thanks for the tip!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Was the dr. able to determine whether the ear infection was caused by bacteria or virus? Antibiotic would not be an effective treatment in case it's the latter, which sounds like the more likely kind as you mentioned fever.
    I do believe that there are certain ailments in young kids where antibiotics are the fastest and most effective treatment and I'm not really opposed to giving/taking them if really needed.

FWIW, I was given ton of antibiotics as a child, even for minor stuff, and I'm still a very healthy adult.

No, the doctor didn't check whether the ear infection was bacterial or viral. Medical care on this island isn't that great, and I assume they prescribe antibiotics to any 'infection.' I thought bacterial infection causes fever, though?

I am also not against antibiotics when really needed. There was a time when my dd had high fever for 2 days (over 40C), and it turned out to be a viral infection (roseola). We were in another country then, and the doctor did test to see whether her condition was caused by bacteria or virus.

Anyway, I'm glad I held off on the antibiotics, because dd went to school yesterday and did not have any fever or discomfort the whole day. It seems to have passed.

I was on antibiotics for years for acne in my teens. (it never helped the acne, lol), and I guess I'm ok as an adult. So they're not the worst. But I do worry about the side effects of antibiotics increasing the risk of yeast infections and what not.

Glad to hear your daughter is better!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I thought bacterial infection causes fever, though?
    Well, from what I know (and google re-confirmed it) it could be either or. I don't know which type is more common though.
    My son had an ear infection once as an infant and I know how frustrating this can be.

I'm glad your daughter is feeling better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast