Thread: Primal Paramedic Journal page

Dheis2 is offline Junior Member

Primal Paramedic Journal

Primal Fuel
    Greetings and Salutations to all who are bored enough to read this!

I am writing this help clarify for myself what is working for me, what isn't, why for each and to track my progress in getting fit. If anyone else gains from this too, then fantastic!

I accidentally went Primal with my fiance last fall for about a month as she tried yet another diet someone recommended to her. We both loved it. We fell off due to busy schedules and difficulties coordinating who is cooking and when (now its me, always). Unfortunately, they didnt call it Primal or Paleo so we had no idea where to go after that month to find new recipies and support. All we had was list of foods to avoid and slowly add back until we noticed problems.

Fast forward to last month when I stumble upon a Primal book and now here we are making a concerted effort to learn and make the right changes in our lives.

For my intro: I am a 34 yo male, paramedic, veteran and grad student. I am 5'8" and 224 lbs. Generally built like a tank in that I am squat, densely constructed, and constantly breaking down!

Physically, I just cant keep working out like I had been to counteract my terrible (Read COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTOL) diet. I came to this realization about 2 years ago after hitting 220 lbs for the first time ever. This was after 3 years of knee pain (YAY Army!) during which I wouldn't walk down a flight of stairs I could avoid, let alone around the corner to the grocery, 2 years of chronic and occasionally crippling back pain (YAY Paramedicine!) and repeated (I am told, now PERMANENT) muscle tears in several muscle groups (YAY ME!).

I have always been heavy, but managed to stay around 185-195 lbs from middleschool through my late 20's, generally by working out insane amounts (cycling 140 miles/week for over 18 months or 1 hr of intense cardio with 2 hrs of weights followed by another hr of cardio for a year, even did extra physical training during basic training for the Army... cause yeah, I was insane...) All this changed my body comp from flabby to well padded Mack Truck. Always over 20% BF when measured. And I never lost weight, not more than 10 lbs, ever.

Between the injuries, crazy work schedule, classes and my fiance, I just couldn't keep it up. And so, during these last few years I have been reading up on and testing out diets and eating plans with results that varied from piss poor to totally backfiring.

Primal has, so far, been a dream come true. I have to avoid my binge foods and triggers (pizza, chinese, burgers, chips and most alcohol) while finally finding great recipies to add veg to my diet.

I have been shedding weight, about 2-3 lbs per week, without exercise at this point. Still need to fine tune the diet (gave up the primal pancakes due to gut problems and lack of weight loss) but no other problems so far. Plan to add exercise in two weeks, after making sure the diet is steady.

One Oddity I have noticed, if anyone ever reads this far down... I need to drink over 4L of water a day to lose any weight, but I consistently lose when I drink that much or more, any ideas about why or physiology behind it?

Thanks all if you got this far!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    So wait, is this the real one? I'm army hopefully to be some form of medical professional. How do you like paramedicine? Welcome to the forums.

Para Med is good. Patients are HIGHLY irritating though. You should start a daily poker game with most irritating and ignorant SOBs you know to practice biting your tongue and keeping a straight face.

I burned through my empathy in the first two years, hence my move away from direct service.

What are you considering long term?

And thx for the welcome!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    I'm a Paramedic myself. I can relate to the back pain, takes me awhile to recover from giving cpr. I could say a few things about empathy but I don't want to sound like a burn out.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Card carrying member of O.P.U.S. here (Old Paramedics Under Stress). I understand what you are going through. Hard to eat right when you are running calls and scarfing down fast food and donuts at the ER. But we are here for you. The PB forum is a great (if dysfunctional) support group.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Well, I need some help here. It's been a month on a strict primal diet, all the recipes coming from Primal Cravings and Quick and Easy Primal Meals, but neither my fiance or myself have lost weight. We are bouncing by up to three pounds daily, no weight loss sticks. We also have not lost any size, clothes are actually tighter for her since she is up 10 lbs.

Can anyone give us a clue whats going on? We drink plenty of water, exercise, stick to proper portions, limit alcohol. We both drink coffee and eat dairy. Coffee is a 20-40oz habit/day, dairy is maybe a cup of milk or 1/2 cup of cheese/day. We eat peanut butter, but maybe 2-4 tbsp a day. She still eats nutella, about 2 tbsp/day, and we are counting that as an acceptable cheat for her sweet tooth. Our carb count is low, we eat sweet potatoes and fruit only, and rarely hit 100g/carbs per day. Our typical meals have an apple or 1cup of berries as a carb source, about twice a week, we get a 1/4 lb of sweet potato in a meal.

Please help, she is getting VERY frustrated and I am at a loss about where to look for problems.

So, for additional info, I am 5 ft 8 in and 223 lbs, My fiance is 5 ft 4 in and 160 lbs.

Our typical diet: This is an example of the carb heavy day
    Breakfast: berry crumble (1/3 cup nuts and 1 cup berries)
    Lunch: Smoked salmon hash (1 cup asparagus, 2 oz Smoked Salmon, 1/4 lb sweet potato)
    Snack: 1 apple 2 egg cups (1 piece bacon, 1 egg each) and 1.5 oz peanut butter
    Dinner: Cauliflower pizza (1/2 head cauliflower, 1 cup mozz, sandwich pepperoni, homemade pizza sauce)

This example is a calorie heavy day for us. Any ideas?

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are notorious for weight stalling/gain. Try swapping them out for fruit (it's hard to overeat apples), canned fish, yogurt or cottage cheese, or no snacks (the best if you can manage, though it can be hard for newbies).

It's not certain of course, but definitely possible. I'm including the peanut butter and Nutella in this of course, pick one of the three, not all in one day, and see how it goes.

I only lost maybe five pounds my first year and a half on primal, but I had a lot of damage that needed healing. I'm down fifteen as of almost two years. Yeah, it's not what you/she want to hear, but primal's not really meant to be a quick and dirty weightloss program, it's lasting health and maintainable loss.