Thread: Need help for the husband please! page

elorajade is offline Senior Member

Question Need help for the husband please!

Primal Fuel
    My husband, who I've been slowly brainwas...er...talking to about this way of eating over the last 6 months while he was deployed overseas is now back!

He's thrown himself into it, and is in agreement with everything that I've done to change our eating.

I don't think he's eating enough, and I think he's eating way too many carbs (ie; the maple syrup on the coconut pancakes, followed by "cleaning" up the girls ice cream cones while out, sugar in the coffee, etc), even while being on the plan (he isn't tracking). He was wanting to know what ratios or even calories that he should be eating and I'm having a hard time figuring it out. His BMR, according to one website is 2600, then add activity (he's a heavy duty mechanic in the military, so he gets a lot of excercise), would put him at 3200 then create a deficit (1000 a day, 2lbs per week loss - 2200 calories which I think is way too low for him). He's currently weighing 285, is 6'2 and is 39.

Could someone help me with the numbers please?

When I try to figure out how many calories of protein, I get messed up. He should be eating, what, 200g of protein a day (200*4=800 calories in protein), carbs - 50 as he wants to loose weight (200 calories from carbs), then fat, the remaining 1200 calories @ 133gr

Help?

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Don't count calories. If you stick to eating Primal/Paleo your body will tell you when to stop eating. If you stray ie eating sugar, starch and grains, you'll get cravings for more of those same foods which basically causes weight gain.

Ok, but I wonder about at least counting carbs for him.

I couldn't personally "just eat" because my metabolism is fucked and I'd end up eating less than I need to (like 900-1000 calories), so I tend to be a bit of a control freak when it comes to that.

He also doesn't realize the amt of carbs that would be in say a bowl of almonds, or carrots. 100 can add up fast.

Well, 24 almonds is only 6 grams of carbohydrates. 1 carrot is about 7g. For weight loss you want to shoot for somewhere around 50g a day... Anyway, are you both planning on eating Primal, or have either of you started? why is your metabolism F'ed?

I haven't counted any calories at all since I started. You'll know if you're eating less than you need to, because you'll be hungry! If you're hungry: eat. If you're not: don't.

It's seriously way easier than you think. Also there's nothing about this that's even close to brainwashing. There's just too much science to back it.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Put some blackstrap molasses on his pancakes! It's a junk superfood!

edit: I'll be more helpful than that. In general, just encourage him to replace sugar with delicious, delicious fat. Get him coconut milk or quality cream for his coffee. Try to get gluten free grains for his pancakes (or make them out of banana and nuts). For a lot of people, you have to see that you don't have to give up the neolithic foods you like in order to feel ready to give up the neolithic foods you like. Don't be afraid to buy stevia for him if he won't give up sweetened beverages.

It's extremely difficult to give the right number of calories for either you or your husband since different people's metabolisms are in different stages of disarray due to grains, PUFA, and the like. Just steer him toward the good stuff and remember that "close enough" is usually close enough.
    Last edited by Molecular Grokologist; 06-21-2010 at 01:55 PM.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Molecular Grokologist View Post
    Try to get gluten free grains for his pancakes (or make them out of banana and nuts). .
    These make for some bomb pancakes:
    http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/09/old-old-world-waffles/

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Elorajade,

I'm in the same boat... hubs came home from deployment and is actually pretty cool about the primal eats (just doesn't want to read the research or info! LOL). He still does do his own thing here and there as well. My plan (LOL) is just to have the best meals prepared and ready and at hand... so that his diet is mainly primal. I don't worry so much about what else he does as I know this is a huge improvement and I think sometimes a slow adaptation is easier.

We've had some fun figuring out new dishes to try out... so maybe get the cookbook and read through it a bit, so he can chime in on stuff that sounds good to him. Also maybe try things like Son of Grok's BBQ sauce on chicken or hot wings... things that are basically great food that he might not realize are perfectly primal!

As for figuring out the ratios... here's my opinion (for whatever the heck it's worth). Try to figure out his lean body mass. There are several websites out there to do this, and frankly I'm not sure which is the best, but my guess is that the one that integrates measurements and weight is probably a bit more useful. Then figure out .7g-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. He may or may want to do a bit more since he's pretty physical, but he won't want to do less so it's a starting point. He can always adjust! Then figure out carb-wise what the plan is... under 100g? Then focus on keeping in the right carb range and protein range, and tossing in fats until full. I'm thinking once he can "see" what his daily protein intake should be around... it should be much easier to keep in the right ranges.

He may (probably) have an easier time just eating until full, etc. Frankly, I'm in your boat where my metabolism is f-d up and I'm trying to fix it (hypothyroid, had low vitamin D, low stored iron, hormone imbalances and insulin resistance). I'm doing much better, but for me I really have to make sure my ratios are a bit closer to what I need and fine tune or I have absolutely no change at all. Annoying, but my thoughts are that as my body heals a lot of the damage it'll become more well-tuned and need less "hands on" approach. Right now, though that just isn't the case, but I'm cool with that. I just try not to press all the "figuring out" stuff on him as he most likely doesn't need it and I want it to be easy peasy for him.

Hope that helps ... a little anyway!!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Barry- Ive been eating this way, and loosing weight successfully doing my own thing. I'm IR so I need carbs at 5% and unless I get more than 75% fat in my diet the scale doesnt budge, oh and there are several supplements that also seem to be tied to loss for me. I've been at this "game" of trying to loose weight for well over 20 years. However his metabolism I assume is "normal". He used to be able to eat whatever, whenever and was always lean. Then we had kids, and 80 lbs snuck up on him, along with my yo-yo dieting, kinda did a number on him.

Minxxa- Thanks! You know where I'm at then, as I have many of the same issues as you do. I've spent the last 7 months "fine tuning" and now I'm right where I need to be. I think I'm trying to overthink/overcontrol his side of things. Much like your husband, he's interested in it, but isn't interested in reading the book. I have all the books, along with Taubes, Fallon et al, so he's heard me talk about this for years now (but Mark was the one who pulled it all together).

get gluten free grains for his pancakes (or make them out of banana and nuts).
    LOL! i made the coconut pancakes from the book. Everyone gobbled them up. I didn't mind the kids putting maple syrup on their pancakes, but I was eyeballing him as he was trying to give him the stink eye. He has two cups of coffee a day, each with 1tbsp of sugar in it. I tried to explain how many carbs that was, a quarter of his daily allowance so to speak, and he didn't seem phased.

I should just ease up on him, and if the changes I made in the house work, then I shouldn't sweat it.