Thread: Corn is not a vegetable, but can you prove it? page

visionteacher is offline Member

Corn is not a vegetable, but can you prove it?

Primal Fuel
    I mean, I think technically, botanically speaking, its a fruit. A friend of mine and I are pleasantly debating corn and its "vegginess" I'm trying to tell her that its not, that it behaves in your system like a grain. She's a Ph.D and would be better convinced with some data. Anyone have any out there I can point her to that's conclusive? When googling, I get, "Its all 3, veggie, fruit, and grain".

~Mickey

Acmebike is offline Member
    It is a grain. It is the seed of a giant grass. As with other members of the grass family, corn is a monocot (only one cotyledon or seed leaf). Read up on it here:

http://academics.hamilton.edu/foodfo...files/corn.pdf
    Last edited by Acmebike; 06-21-2010 at 10:18 AM.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Pardon my relying on wikipedia for all of this, but it's quick and easy. =P

All grains are technically fruits or seeds from fruits... they're just dry fruits, from grass plants. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caryopsis

Corn is the fruit of a grass plant, so it would certainly fit into the "grain" category. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

visionteacher is offline Member
    Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you!

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Fruit is usually what surrounds seeds (or a seed), in order to provide some incentive for animals to eat the fruit and thus distribute the seed. That's also the major reason why seeds are indigestible for most animals, but fruits are not. I don't think that you could say that seeds are dried fruits ... rather, it's what remains of fruits when the edible parts are removed or rot away (if they aren't eaten by humans or animals).

So by that logic corn is not a fruit, since the whole thing is the seed and not supposed to be eaten by animals (from the viewpoint of the plant). It's this "not supposed to be eaten by animals" part that can make seeds/grains bad for us, since plants enforce that by means of poisons.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Trippy.

Here I thought it was a grain.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    And actually it says on the wikipedia page that the cob is the fruit, with that which we call corn attached to it and referred to as seeds or grains in the text. :-)

jengatron is offline Junior Member
    'Vegetable' is not a botanical category. It's a culinary one. (That's why a tomato is both a fruit and a vegetable.) Unfortunately the word 'fruit' is used for both a botanical category and a culinary one, both of which overlap but don't refer to the exact same class of entities. So people think of "fruit vs. vegetables" culinarily, confuse that with a botanical distinction, and get themselves in a pickle when discussing things like nutrition. Anyway, some fruits are vegetables, some vegetables are fruits, not all vegetables are fruits, and not all fruits are vegetables.

Buzzy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jengatron View Post
    'Vegetable' is not a botanical category. It's a culinary one. (That's why a tomato is both a fruit and a vegetable.) Unfortunately the word 'fruit' is used for both a botanical category and a culinary one, both of which overlap but don't refer to the exact same class of entities. So people think of "fruit vs. vegetables" culinarily, confuse that with a botanical distinction, and get themselves in a pickle when discussing things like nutrition. Anyway, some fruits are vegetables, some vegetables are fruits, not all vegetables are fruits, and not all fruits are vegetables.
    I love this ^, it makes my spyrographic thought patterns just purr....

Buzzy