Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New vs old wheat page

Owen is online now Senior Member

New vs old wheat

Ok first a confession, I haven't read any of the recent books on grains such as Wheat Belly, Grain Brain or The Dark Side of Wheat, but I just wondered, from anyone who may have (or knows anyway) are there many differences between the modern genetically modified wheat strains and the older ones?

We're getting a lot of connections being made now between bad brain health (alzheimers, depression, ADHD) and wheat consumption - does it apply to all wheats?

My assumption is that they are all problematic but the recently developed ones are worse....?

The reason is I am writing some talks on diet for a local mental health charity, and have spend months doing research, but I'm struggling to find time to read a lot of these books.

This video talks about the idea of gluten interfering with blood flow to the brain, which I can well believe. But no mention of whether its the new strains that are worse for this sort of thing or not.
    http://undergroundwellness.com/this-...ain-on-gluten/

Thanks!
    Last edited by Owen; 02-14-2014 at 05:02 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    My assumption is that they are all problematic, but the recently developed ones are worse.

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    I read somewhere (& I don't know where) that the hybrid wheat has 500 times as much gluten as the original breeds.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I think wheat in general should be avoided. But... It is a sliding scale.

Einkorn wheat that has been soaked, sprouted, AND fermented is clearly your best bet. But sourcing einkorn and then investing the time to even consider correctly processing it? Insane. Most people will not be willing to do that. At that point, it's still just easier to stick to meat and veggies and maybe some fruit. And even then, it still has gluten which is hard on the digestive system and not recommended for mental health.

Modern dwarf wheat, that has not been soaked, spouted, or fermented is your worst choice. But it's about the only wheat most people can even source these days anyway, so einkorn is totally not a viable option for most due to the effort involved both in sourcing and properly preparing it.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

miata is online now Senior Member
    Not only does modern wheat have more gluten, but it also has proteins that don't even exist in older wheat varieties. A very bad experiment gone awry.

Owen is online now Senior Member
    Yes, I've heard that the proteins in the dwarf strains of wheat are particularly bad.
    Thanks all for your comments, this is helpful, but I'm going to have to read those books there's no escaping it...!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Owen, if you don't want to fish through the books, the Wikipedia entry for "wheat" has a very good quick-and-dirty section on wheat genetics. However, except for a short section on celiac disease, Wiki doesn't talk about health effects.

The main takeaway for newbies is that this awful wheat is NOT GMO. It was bred honestly in the Green Revolution to improve yields and respond to fertilizer. By 1997, 81% of the wheat in the developing world like was dwarf hybrid wheat. It's ironic, isn't it? We try to feed the world and our reward is to fatten the world.

It's okay to read Wheat Belly. It's a very easy book to read, and you can skip chapters.

The yuppie liberal magazines (for example, Mother Earth News) are looking into it too.
    Try this: Is Wheat Gluten Really Bad for Everyone? | Mother Jones
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Maybe a tangent, but commercial baking techniques might share equal blame--the inner workings of a Hostess factory are pretty bizarre. My former housemate would make legit sourdough using common flour about once a month and I could eat it without any of my usual reflux or diarrhea.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    Oxide I read that article.
    It's full of CW crap about you need gluten in your diet.
    Umm, when did gluten become an essential food group?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

oxide is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hannah, you're right. That Mother Jones article IS crap.

The worst statement is that "Some experts speculate that it's changes in wheat itself—that the hybrid varieties we eat today contain more gluten than the stuff our ancestors ate. Yet we've been eating hybrid wheat for a half century." Right... it probably would have taken for this dwarf hybrid wheat about 20 years to be planted widely enough for problems to surface. Which brings us to 1980, which is exactly when we started getting fat and practically eating Tagamet for acid reflux.

Try this article instead: Mark Hyman, MD: Three Hidden Ways Wheat Makes You Fat
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast