Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal in South America - any hints? page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Primal in South America - any hints?

Primal Fuel
    I am taking a trip to Colombia next week, I'll be there for a couple of weeks. Looking for any hints as to PB-friendly foods, especially local delicacies. I'll be in Cartagena (yay fish!) and Bogota (yay beef!). As in, are there particular Churrasceria (Brazilian skewer thing) - like restaurants, or particular fish dishes I should look for? I am happy to eat huevos y tocino / jamon once a day forever, and I'm sure I'll overindulge in fresh fruits, I'm just looking for any locals type advice for good eats.

Thanks!

Bumping because I'm leavin on a jet plane tomorrow morning.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I lived in Panama in the 70s and loved the food. It's similar to Columbian food. We spent a few weeks in Columbia too. Bread and grains are nicely minimized, corn bread type food being common, rice and beans too. That's the bad news, but it will be much more primal friendly than this country. Tons of great seafood. True red snapper should be high on your list and they have some great lobster species that is generally pretty affordable. They replace "tortillas" with banana leaves in that type of rolled food. I was hooked on quesillos (sp?). Basically meat or fruit infused fresh cream cheeses stuffed in banana leaves and grilled. In the school cafeteria we were served a beef stew over crunchy fried plantains all the time. Good stuff. They slow roast whole pigs and no luau can claim to do better. Empenadas (fried scrambled eggs as wraps) are often stuffed with the pork. Awesome. Steaks are everywhere, I think they have a flank steak specialty, but beef is huge. Of course there's incredibly sweet tropical fruit everywhere. We had carambolas and guavas in our backyard. Monkeys got most of them.

Briefly googled and I found this:

Colombia is not a paradise for vegetarians as the Colombian diet includes a lot of meat. In the coastal areas you will find a good variety of fish, lobster and seafood often prepared with a sauce made out of coconut milk. The offer of fresh fruit is overwhelming and many of the varieties you have probably never heard of before.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Wish I could help ya, but I'm from Brazil, not Colombia. Anyways have fun!
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I suspect South America is the most primal continent. Have fun T.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Have not been to Colombia, but I would think the seafood soups would be great as well as grilled meats. Also, most countries have traditional greens that are fabulous, but almost never partaken by visitors. Am curious if you experience the phenomenon that I always encounter when traveling abroad, that I stuff myself silly, partake of copious meals, banquets, desserts, and come back having lost a pound or two. This has happened numerous times to numerous locations with radically different foods. Makes me think that there's something in our food system that's toxic.

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    Once spent the weekend with a bunch of Colombian friends in Vermont and was astounded by the amount of meat they bought for a bbq--enough steaks, chicken, hot dogs and hamburgers for each person to have a huge portion of each. Including the infants. Which bodes well for lots of meat on your trip. Just stay away from the arepas! And I thought they were unhealthy eating so much meat!

I was in Peru in March/April, and meals were heavy on the grains and potatoes. Quinoa had limited appeal then, and absolutely none now! i'm sure I'll be able to make it more primal-friendly when I go back.

Some day I want to take a romantic trip to Argentina with a primal beau, and eat lots of steak and chimmichurri (sp?) sauce. Hmmm...I'm having a weird split screen romantic fantasy of sex on one side, and eating meat on the other. Afraid I may develop a weird meat eating fetish.

Have a great time!
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    Whoops, just saw you said you were looking for advice from locals, and I obviously am not a local. Just a big fan of SA!
    Last edited by superdeluxe; 06-27-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: really bad grammar
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Finished my first full day here, I'll save the salsa dancing for later on in the trip. Food so far has been good quality. Mangoes - oh sweet mangoes, how I love you! Be thou primal or not-really-very-primal, thou art most dear to my heart. Sorry, got a little carried away. Accidentally ordered about 2 kilos of mixed meats tonight - need to hit the Spanish a bit harder perhaps. Lots of fried intestines, but I can't say they were tasty. The rare pork-or-veal was really awesome though.
    WOD: about 3 1/2 hours walking in sweltering heat and humidity. Found a spot in my rented apartment where I can do pullups. Not tonight though.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    tfarny I'm currently living in Peru. It's easier to find whole foods down in South America, and processed crap tends to be lower in HFCS compared to the US. But then that would be the case anywhere in the world. The typical Peruvian foods tend to be accompanied by a good portion of starch such as potatoes, beans or rice, and sugar-intensive desserts are commonly served. This tends to be the case in all South America except for Argentina, a Primal paradise.

My advice would be to take advantage of the good sea food and stick to steak houses. Be careful of raw foods such as salads or ceviches, you might get food poisoning. Also assume they will usually cook with vegetable oil, so a good O-3 supplementation would be a good idea.

Hope this helps, have fun.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast