Thread: Calculating body fat? page

pellegrina is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi all--

Just wondering how everybody's calculating their body fat. I'm 5'5" and 110 lbs. Skinny but not muscular, and I want to make sure I'm not "skinny-fat". When I do gain a few pounds, it goes right to my belly. My grandmother was a classic apple shape--big round belly with no butt, skinny little stick arms and bird legs. That's my future if I'm not careful. Thanks!

DanM9 Guest

http://www.drsears.com/ZoneResources/BodyFatCalculator/tabid/414/Default.aspx

That's how I keep track of mine. Of course it's probably not accurate, but it will give you a general idea if you want to keep track over time.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

The best way is hydrostatic underwater weighing, or hydrodensitometry if you're searching for a location that performs the test. They weigh you dry, then sit you on a chair and have you expel all your air, put you underwater and weigh you. There is an equation I don't recall that allows them to extrapolate bodyfat from the two weights. I'm in MN and it can very inexpensively around here...not sure about other areas. Good luck!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Get yourself one of these:

Accu-Measure Calipers

It's only $20 and is reasonably accurate. I have a set and know my percentage, and that website under-quoted me by a good 10%. It takes a few tries to get used to it, but once you have it, you know for sure where your body composition is going. And, it's made to be self-use, so you don't need a helper to measure for you.

"The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

-al'Lan Mandragoran
    "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan

Visit my blog: http://www.antihousewife.com/