Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Easy lunch ideas

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3

    Easy lunch ideas

    Shop Now
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

    I've been working on improving my diet by eating more natural foods and recently found Mark's Daily Apple and his "Primal" eating. It fits closely with my own personal dietary goals so I'm happy to have found it.

    Incidentally, I have lost 25 lbs just making changes to my regular meals, simply cooking more "whole" foods (meat and veggies) in the evenings.

    My question: What do you all eat for lunches typically? I'm an office drone so typically need to bring my lunch to work (eating out is expensive). Sandwiches are often what I eat. With other meals I can easily eat in a low-carb/natural foods type of way, I happen to be a pretty decent cook. However for lunch, I have long had the sandwich (and mainly the bread that goes with it) on my radar of what to get rid of next from my diet.

    So what primal meals do any of you office drones have for lunch? I'm also a very busy person these days (infant at home and remodeling a new house). I work during the day and spend my evenings working so the more simple the better.

    I'm basically just looking for ideas (doing some brainstorming) to help break my lunch routine, so any suggestions are welcome.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    2,539
    i bought some big tupperware bowls for taking salads to work. Used a small mason jar for dressing. Left over meat or a can of tuna on top. YUM

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    432
    Deviled eggs, salads, veggies and dip, chicken drumsticks. I blogged some time ago about creative alternatives to sandwiches. The post was written before I was fully primal, but has some ideas: http://amoderngal.com/2009/08/04/cre...to-sandwiches/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatMe216 View Post
    i bought some big tupperware bowls for taking salads to work. Used a small mason jar for dressing. Left over meat or a can of tuna on top. YUM
    This is pretty much me, exactly.

    Apple, Salad w/ (tuna, sardines, leftover meat), and maybe some Fage if I have it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    Incidentally, my wife has suggested (and we are going to try this week) making quiche to take. Quiche is tasty the next day, keeps well, etc. It's also loaded with eggs of course and other goodies you might put in like spinach. And it's pretty easy to make enough for several meals.

    I also like the drum stick idea. I prefer dark meat from a chicken.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    389
    I follow a similar pattern... I have a large Tupperware (7 cups I think?) and at home I have various chopped veggies and such... ... at night I take the veggies and put them in the container... then I have a small one I make my salad dressing in for each day... ... ... my catch all meat is chicken so on Sundays I cook up a few chicken breasts or similar (7-10 breasts) and I have one chopped on my salad each day... ...

    to change pace I sometimes use left overs (today my salad will have walnut and almond crusted chicken on it) or I'll bring some ground beef and salsa to eat on the side or something... ...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    349
    I brought a salad once to work . . but im super-lazy when it comes to getting meals prepared ahead of time . . for the past 4 days of work i've eating 25 almonds 1 peach and 1 5oz can of tuna .. but it's getting old fast

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatkid View Post
    I follow a similar pattern... I have a large Tupperware (7 cups I think?) and at home I have various chopped veggies and such... ... at night I take the veggies and put them in the container... then I have a small one I make my salad dressing in for each day... ... ... my catch all meat is chicken so on Sundays I cook up a few chicken breasts or similar (7-10 breasts) and I have one chopped on my salad each day... ...

    to change pace I sometimes use left overs (today my salad will have walnut and almond crusted chicken on it) or I'll bring some ground beef and salsa to eat on the side or something... ...
    When you do cook the chicken breasts up for your salad, how many days do you spread that across? I think growing up in a household where we were taught to FEAR FOOD OH MY GOD if it was more than three days old has pretty much kept me from cooking big batches of meat for my salads which is why I've stuck to tuna and sardines.

    Its ridiculous, but true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I brought a salad once to work . . but im super-lazy when it comes to getting meals prepared ahead of time . . for the past 4 days of work i've eating 25 almonds 1 peach and 1 5oz can of tuna .. but it's getting old fast
    Try 26 almonds for a refreshing new lunch.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    712
    My husband takes leftovers most days, but I have gotten him to eat romaine 'sandwiches' more often. Sliced meat, romaine lettuce leaves, maybe some cheese, and he likes spicy mustard. You could use a more natural deli meat, or even just sliced roasted turkey or chicken or beef that you make at home.

    We smoke our own lunchmeat to avoid the salt and additives. I cook up a bunch at once, slice, and then wrap serving sizes in plastic and place freezer bags and freeze. They keep for a few months that way, and he just has to take out a bundle before work and it thaws by lunchtime.

    Chicken and tuna salad is good....either with a lettuce 'wrap', or sliced veggies like cucumber & celery to eat with, or place on top of a salad.

    One technique to always have something to eat for lunch, is if you are grilling or cooking up any meat, add an extra piece, like a chicken breast. You can cool, slice, and toss on a salad for the next day.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,059
    Shop Now
    Make some primal pancakes with eggs and coconut flour. That's what I'm going to do once school starts.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •