Thread: Who wants to help me with my primal shopping list? page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

Who wants to help me with my primal shopping list?

Shop Now
    Hi all,

There may be another thread like this, but I didn't see one.

I've been learning about and practicing primal lifestyle for a few weeks - I feel great, and I have lost about 6 lbs. with very minimal exercise. I teach (today is my last day!), and because the last couple months have been stress-filled at work, I haven't had the chance to shop and cook like I want (or exercise) -- all that is going to change.

So, I should be getting my cookbook any day, and I've compiled some great recipes from MDA. Tomorrow is shopping day; here's what I need help with:

I want to stock the pantry and kitchen with primal goodies -- I'm looking for any and all suggestions for a thorough primal grocery list, including brand names (and even stores) if that is relevant. We have a Trader Joe's (I've been buying almond meal there, some cheeses, nuts) and a Fresh Market (kind of like a mini-whole foods - I should be able to find coconut oil and flour, etc. there), and of course the usual markets. We have farmer's markets on Saturdays. Fortunately, I do have my own veggie and herb garden too.

What are your staples? Your favorites? Your snacks? Your "treats"? Any suggested will be greatly appreciated and used... thanks in advance for your help
    Last edited by Angieh; 06-21-2010 at 05:43 AM.

Puddymama is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday at Costco I bought:

Ground Turkey
    T-bone steaks
    Sliced turkey
    Canned tuna
    Celery
    Romaine Lettuce
    Raspberries
    Eggs
    Olive Oil

I'll supplement with a trip to the Health Food Store:

Coconut milk
    Coconut flour
    Cherries
    Cucumber

Brian C. is offline Member
    Almonds and macadamia are good nuts for snacking. Good cuts of steak, chicken (all free range meat, try and find a whole foods) will help the dinners. Fish wild pole caught no long line or net (because the last two are detrimental to the environment.) my favorite fish are Snapper, Mahi Mahi, and Snook; I live in Florida so I catch all my own fish. For veggies go crazy, try to use the in season one’s. Look up some recipes you want to make for the week and go from there. Don’t forget the eggs and the extra virgin first cold presses olive oil and unrefined coconut oil. Have fun.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    There's no real magic to the shopping list really..... some others may chime in I am sure. here is what is always on mine:

Canned Organic Coconut Milk
    Almond meal
    Raw Walnuts
    Raw Cashews
    Almond Butter
    Sunflower Seed Butter- trader joes
    Grass Fed Beef- I have an Earthfare Store near me that has it fresh, so I am very lucky
    Nitrate Free Bacon
    Avocados
    Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Sausage, If I can't guarantee that it's primal, I look for organic chicken sausages
    Whole Organic Chickens, or parts
    Grapeseed Oil
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Organic Fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, melons
    Organic or fair trade coffee
    Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
    Coconut Flour

There is also a site that I shop from that I find is reasonable- Shoporganic.com, for things like coconut butter etc....

Just a few things off of the top of my head.

Styleten is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if my diet falls into paleo, or primal or any other system. It would be nice to know what i resemble and what changes should be made. I maintain between 20 and 25 lbs of fat loss from where i started 3 months ago. Still looking to lower body fat by about

I get a 1 quart of whole milk
    80% lean chop meat
    Thin sliced chicken breasts
    Store brand non fat vanilla yogurt.
    Almonds,
    Pecans
    Bag of frozen mixed veggies
    Apple cider vinegar
    Almond butter
    peanut butter
    Pre Cut bags of salad.
    pickles
    plums
    bananas
    strawberries
    Wheat bread
    Burger Buns

Namasteak is offline Senior Member
    What I found works is to plan our meals & snacks at the beginning of the week and then go to the grocery store. Since eating primally does mean higher priced items (ie: organic &/or grass fed) it helps with our budget too! If something is on sale then we pick up a couple of extra.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I fill my freezer with local meat whenever its available.

I try to get all of my produce from either my garder or farmers markets
    From the market i also get pickeld eggs, bulk butter, lard and spices

I rarely go to whole foods anymore, but when i do its usually for:
    fish
    protein powder
    canned tomatos, tuna, sardines
    olive oil
    almond butter

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I am going to sit down and make a good list tonight - you guys actually have me excited to grocery shop!

Styleton - I'm a newbie, but I know buns and bread, bananas and sweetened yogurt would not be considered primal. I have been doing lots of reading about primal but don't know the difference in paleo, but primal followers don't eat grain or sugar (from what I understand).