Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble understand the importance of some of todays nutritional politics. page

Styleten is offline Senior Member

Trouble understand the importance of some of todays nutritional politics.

Shop Now
    I never had much interested in what my food was fed.

Now that i have had a few years to start caring about my diet and have made different changes I'm ready to learn about the benefits of cage free vs caged food sources, wild sources vs farmed and grass fed vs grain fed.

This is what i currently feel.
    1) Cage free is a better way of live cause the animals don't have to live in there own droppings, smooshed into pens next to other animals. K great, how or why does this make the food inappropriate. I don't spend much of my live in care for the harmony of other species. I don't typically wonder or care if the person driving along side me on the highway is in a good mood. He isn't on the way to my dinner table like that chicken breast. Whats the nutritional relevance if any comparing cage free vs caged animals. I suspect there is no difference in nutritional value just a humanitarian anti greedy capitalist stand point. If that is the case sure I'll buy cage free eggs but may not purchase cage free higher priced items as much.

2) Grass fed vs Grain fed.
    I'd imagine like a human a grass fed animal vs a grain fed animal would produce a lean body mass animal providing a higher protein to fat ratio in the meat. I haven't crunched the calories or the fat contents of say 80 lean vs 85 lean vs what ever is greater then that. I have seen the price. Regardless of amount of meat i buy 3 bucks worth of chop meat. If your strongly opinionated that grass fed is better tell me why. If you are strongly believing that the results of grain fed are in significant will you also tell me why.

I personally drop grain consumption to lower body fat to make a weight and i eat to promote athletic performance.
    Cows, chickens etc. They aren't prepping for athletic or aesthetic performance. If i can work off the extra 5% fat is getting 80% any different then 85%?

Would it be foolish to go from 85% learn to 80% lean if by the numbers and macros i need to fullfill the calorie block that the 5% would supply or should i work to afford the leanest possible choice and get that calorie block from another source?

3) Wild vs Farmed.
    I'd think that incest could become a practice in farmed animals. In humans a problem in genetics and chromosomes takes place creating people from the movie Wrong Turn. Google the movie for some pics if you want to. Please no offense to any cannibal incested hillbilly members that may be reading this. I wouldn't want to eat a fish if i caught it in the wild if it had 9 eyes, and 6 tail fins.

Is that the scare and the deficiency of eating farmed animals? Is the problem again a effect of human capital greed which may lead to the captive animals being fed terrible foodish/pseudo food diets?

For me... I'm 29. No major health issues aside of being unmotivated and anxiety stricken from time to time. I go through fluctuations of body fat when i train vs when i don't. Thats normal. I have trouble affording some of the food decisions i want to make. For instance if price wasn't a factor sure I'd take the more pleasantly treated food sources and I'd go wild, cage free, organic and drink raw but life isn't that easy. My life decisions have to be made based on my wallet and based on store sales etc. Help be learn if you have the time and good will when you read this. You are dealing with an uneducated reader here so if you get frustrated easily i warn you. I may ask a stupid question or two in the post.

Since this topic is long I'll make it a littler longs.
    Health prioritize the things in question. Which/When is it about the animals humanity and which/when is the food on my plate actually different?

Thanks in advance. If it means something to my health or performance I'll cancel my planet fitness membership and put the ten bucks into my food even if only one week a month.

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    1) The eggs and the meat from pastured chickens is higher in vitamins because they are fed their natural diet. Insects, grass, etc.

2) Grain fed meat as a ratio of omega 6 that is pretty whack (sometimes as high as 16 omega 6 for 1 omega 3). The problem is not with eating fat but eating the good kind of fat.

3) Again, wild game or fish have more vitamins because the are fed their natural diet. They also live in a stress-free environment with lot of sun exposure and activity.

by buying any of the above (cage free hens and their eggs, and wild caught animals) you will probably support smaller farmers. Animals taste good but they dont deserve to be mass produced. The way my parents raise their animals (pigs, rabbits, duck, etc) is pretty natural. not only do I know that there is an added nutritional value to the meat, but it also taste much better.
    Last edited by JeanPatrick; 06-21-2010 at 05:13 AM.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Yep, supporting local is awesome. It decreases your environmental footprint, it keeps local farms in operation so we don't become prisoners to the big agri corps that do not have your, or the animals best interest in mind.

The other thing I consider is the hormones. Not just what they give them while fattening them up. But the stress hormones. When the animal becomes stressed, terrified whatever, there are massive amounts of hormones being produced. How does this affect the meat? How does this affect us who are eating it?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Let's forget all the nutritional components, and even what some natural sources don't have (GRAS, antibiotics/hormones, additives, preservatives, pesticides, ect..)

The "theory" behind not eating stressed animals, or animals killed out of fear and the like, is that the feeling they were feeling last, is passed on to you. For instance, if a chicken is in a cage and sitting around with it's poop, and cooped up, do you think it will be feeling happy? Or will it be experiencing fear and stress?

And if fear and stress are running through that chicken's blood, and you eat it, how will that affect you?

Something to think about it. No I don't have scientific evidence that it will negatively affect you, but when I intuitively think about that, it makes sense.

"You can't get healthy eating sick animals" -Chek

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    BTW I don't eat organic all the time either, so I also understand where you are coming from. But what's important to realize is, when something is wrong, it might not be totally clear at the start. It might not even appear in (for this subject) the chicken, but appear later in you.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGYnutrition View Post
    Let's forget all the nutritional components, and even what some natural sources don't have (GRAS, antibiotics/hormones, additives, preservatives, pesticides, ect..)

The "theory" behind not eating stressed animals, or animals killed out of fear and the like, is that the feeling they were feeling last, is passed on to you. For instance, if a chicken is in a cage and sitting around with it's poop, and cooped up, do you think it will be feeling happy? Or will it be experiencing fear and stress?

And if fear and stress are running through that chicken's blood, and you eat it, how will that affect you?

Something to think about it. No I don't have scientific evidence that it will negatively affect you, but when I intuitively think about that, it makes sense.

"You can't get healthy eating sick animals" -Chek
    According to my parents, if you send your animal to the slaughterhouse and kill them while they are stressed and scared, the meat is less tender. Seems logical to me. Most people when they are scared or stressed become tight (thats why stressed people needs to enjoy massages and what not)
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

Grol is offline Senior Member
    How do they slaughter pastured steers without scaring and stressing them?
    I've slaughtered free range chickens by the dozen. We were gentle as could be, but some of those birds were completely freaked out.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    I've slaughtered free range chickens by the dozen. We were gentle as could be, but some of those birds were completely freaked out.
    Vodka shots?

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    I saw a movie about this lady on TV and found it somewhat interesting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Vodka shots?
    Hah! Kobe beef gets beer and a massage. That is some good stuff.

I think there's a bunch more PW -- Primal Wisdom -- on this topic. The only pastured beef I have ordered tasted way too gamey. I've been an active hunter for over 30 years and we know that injuring an animal is bad for the meat. It's the huge release of adrenalin that causes an overpowering almost bitter gamy flavor. I like a little gaminess in my game meat, but I have never caught a whiff of that from CAFO beef. I was very disappointed in my grassfed. My first comment after chewing on a rib eye, was: "Sheesh, did they chase this animal around with a knife?"

Feedlots have a lot of science and design built into NOT stressing the animals before slaughter. Sure their lives are possibly more stressful and definitely unhealthy, but they are put down unexpectedly in a generally calm manner because everyone knows the adrenalin can taint the flavor. It is the killing process that can release the adrenalin flavor, not the living conditions. I think everyone should drive out to their nearest feed lot and have a look. The attacks are not fully warranted. One cowboy in Food Inc. claimed if a steer had a choice between a pasture and the lot, he believed it would pick the lot. This was used ironically and edited to make him look like a fool, but I think he was probably right. Cows like an easy supply of water nearby, they like company, and they like gorging on food that is spoonfed to them. It may not be healthy, but I was pretty happy and unstressed eating pizza and donuts.

Does anyone know how grass fed beef is typically slaughtered? I saw a good short film about a Georgia grass fed beef producer who claimed to have one of the two on site processing facilities in the country. On site is good. Travel stresses cattle. New environments stress cattle. The grass fed beef I ordered tasted very stressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast