Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold hands page 2

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have always had problems with being cold -- not just my hands and feet, but right to my core (and totally unrelated to weight and/or body composition). Since eating more PB, my core temperature is somewhat better. Hands and feet are still an issue, but nowhere as bad as they once were.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I would say that I am a summer person in general. I really don't mind the heat as long as I drink plenty of water. It's the winter cold that I don't like.

JamieRose is offline Member
    I used to ALWAYS be cold, especially my hands. I thought it just went with the territory since I'm a smaller framed female. But after upping my calories (more fat/protein) I can honestly say it is so much better. I added more coconut oil and started eating lunch (which I would usually skip before). I also do more light jogging than I did before (nothing strenuous by any means).

I notice I still get really cold when I fast, though.

Gator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    Maybe Vibrams will come out with some primal gloves so we can start walking on all fours again.
    Grol, you got me laughing. Maybe we also could get group rates to have tails added back where tails should go.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazybastard View Post
    Unfortunately, there is 1 annoying side effect. My hands are always cold, whether I eat or not.
    Are you exercising? How intensively? If it's a circulation issue, exercise *may* help. Or it may not. lol

I have Raynaud's disease (the primary form which is less serious....the secondary form is associated with autoimmune disorders and is more serious)
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ray...isease/ds00433
    "Raynaud's disease is a condition that causes some areas of your body such as your fingers, toes, tip of your nose and your ears to feel numb and cool in response to cold temperatures or stress. In Raynaud's disease, smaller arteries that supply blood to your skin narrow, limiting blood circulation to affected areas."

So far, I've found nothing that helps significantly aside from keeping warm. I use a microwaveable buckwheat pillow thingie to warm my feet or hands as needed (which is constantly in the winter). Also warming in warm water is highly efficient.

Typically, calcium channel blockers are used as a drug tx for Raynaud's. This is interesting because calcium (and sodium) are 'contractors' - they contract our muscles and blood vessels. Magnesium and potassium are relaxors - they relax our muscles and blood vessels. Magnesium has been nicknamed 'nature's calcium channel blocker'. Hmmmmm.

I've tweaked my calcium and magnesium intake for years, trying to work out what's optimal for me. Optimzing vitamin D reduces overall calcium needs (see my doc below) and my D does fall in the optimal range so I have reduced my calcium intake (from food and supps) accordingly. 600 mg calcium per day from all sources seems just about right for me.....and 600-1000 mg magnesium. I'm slowly lowering towards 600mg.....I previously needed around 1000 mg but think I may need less now.

Vitamin K intake from your (our) high level of meat consumption may also be a factor. Some theorize that K intake, because it makes platelets more sticky (oversimplification but....whatever), whether from meat or veggies, can exacerbate circulation issues in the extremeties. The solution to that could be eating more fish, taking fish oil, grapeseed extract, pycnogenol or a baby aspirin a day (but wrt the aspiring, not without discussing with a trusted health care provider first).

I've tweaked my K intake in a variety of ways and it doesn't seem to be a factor for me. For antioxidant protection for my skin, I do take grape seed extract and pycnogenol - no difference in circulation or Raynaud's episodes noted. I also take a lot of fish oil (mood stability) and have noted no change in Raynaud's episodes. For what it's worth.....my very own N=1

Do read up on vitamin d though (below and at vitamindcouncil.org) and make that a top priority.....also it's worth optimizing your Ω3:Ω6 ratios and working towards optimizing your potassium:sodium ratios (see below and see this. We probably evolved eating closer to a 10:1 potassium to sodium ratio and now eat much more sodium than potassium.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I have Raynaud's (the secondary form- yeah me!), so I am all too familiar with cold hands, cold feet and even getting cold down to my core in just chilly a/c. I've been dealing with this for over 10 years and I can tell you there's no easy fix. Gotta wear gloves, thicker socks, jackets, keep a blanket at my desk (I wear it over my lap generally but have been known to bundle up when the heat is wonky or the a/c is in arctic mode), always carry a light jacket when I go to dinner/movies/etc.

In Good Calories, Bad Calories I learned that people who consume high protein will generate more body heat. I don't think that I am consuming "high protein" necessarily, but anecdotally, I haven't noticed a difference (bad or good) for how cold I feel since going primal.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    I have Raynaud's (the secondary form- yeah me!)
    Check your vitamin D levels! Optimizing my vitamin D levels cleared up my psoriasis, all of the markers I'd developed for hashimotos, lupus and RA, and possibly stopped celiac. I don't mention the celiac thing too much b/c it's impossible to be certain and is very very controversial. But, I will say that my blood markers have been coming back negative for a couple of years and for about a year right before I went seriously primal, I was eating a lot of gluten. Bad, I know.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I've got orders for new labs before my next appt with my rheumatologist- it'll be the first labs I've done since going primal so I am pretty interested to see the numbers. (Although they've got me on meds and I am sure that'll get the credit for any improved numbers) Granted, they won't test for vit d....so maybe I should just spring for it.

I wouldn't say that I am primal, per se, but I follow Dr. Ayer's anti-inflammation diet. It has literally changed my life- I'm gonna live longer AND I'm gonna feel great doing it. =) Related to your psoriasis, as soon as I changed my diet, my chronic dandruff went away in less than a week.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    I've got orders for new labs before my next appt with my rheumatologist- it'll be the first labs I've done since going primal so I am pretty interested to see the numbers. (Although they've got me on meds and I am sure that'll get the credit for any improved numbers) Granted, they won't test for vit d....so maybe I should just spring for it.

I wouldn't say that I am primal, per se, but I follow Dr. Ayer's anti-inflammation diet. It has literally changed my life- I'm gonna live longer AND I'm gonna feel great doing it. =) Related to your psoriasis, as soon as I changed my diet, my chronic dandruff went away in less than a week.
    yeah, all of that too (see my journal for the long list of things that went away)

be sure your labs are done by labcorp and not quest (well, at least the vitamin d part of the labs) my post below on D has some information on the problem with quest.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I try to keep my protein intake high and I still get cold hands. I hadn't heard before that protein increases body temperature, but I'm not wanting to lose any muscle mass as I lose my remaining tummy fat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast