Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Small rant - add your own if you want!! :) page 19

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Laz, intelligence and personality are almost equally as genetically-based as looks... :P
    Very true, and usually unacknowledged.....

I would say though that intelligence and personality are also highly based on the amount they are nurtured, both by the parents and then later as an adult. Intelligence is genetic, but critical thinking and actual knowledge base are much more earned. The parents play a big part of course, in the sense that we are all essentially the product of our environment, but it takes work put in well after the critical parenting period of highest influence (until about age 13) is over. Your parents genes can make you intelligent, but there is nothing more often wasted than a capable mind.

The obvious next difference is that personality and intelligence are the essence of a person throughout their lives, whereas being physically attractive is astonishingly short lived.....Starting that the average women lives about 83 years, a woman does not really reach full physical peak until about age 17, at best. If she is very gifted, she will continue to be highly attractive until about age 32-35, however clearly most do not even make it this long. Many women are only on their top echelon for about 6 years before natural weight gain (a survival mechanism) starts to kick them out of the elite category. The same happens in athletics in men....a really gifted man athletically can only stay at the top for 10 years or so, at most. It isn't that he becomes fat and slow; it's just that the young bucks will start to get more and more an edge, as the margin is tiny. The same happens with women. A woman that is a genetic 7 will be more attractive at age 21 than a genetic 9 is at 31. It is just the way we are designed.

This is all why as a man, you have to learn that your most basic primal extinct in regards to mates, that being genetic value which prefers you take the most attractive, young woman you can to bed is NOT a good strategy for a partner. Or as my father put it once "Looks fade.....stupid is forever."

@MEvers

I know. I am used to people being surprised by my age. I was home-schooled, and I was a freshman in college in the fall that I turned 16.....that isn't actually as uncommon as they tell you though. I remember that I had a few people in my med school class that GRADUATED at 21. We had one guy that couldn't even legally go get a beer, but he was already an MD. I was not all that young there. There is no reason why a person should have to be 18 or 19 before they start college. It cuts down on your earning years, and it is an antiquated setup from when most kids were farmers or factory workers. No sense in waiting that long to get a damn high school diploma!

People my own age are usually incredibly boring to me. I enjoy older people, much more open-minded in the ways that it counts.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Laz, I'm roughly 20 years old. More specifically, 21
    I agree with the last sentence of your most recent posts. I just carried on doing a su-do-ku (from a newspaper, made out of actual paper, not an app)as they buried their heads in their phones comparing what I though to be the exact same song several times.. Turns out they were different!

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Very true, and usually unacknowledged.....

I would say though that intelligence and personality are also highly based on the amount they are nurtured, both by the parents and then later as an adult. Intelligence is genetic, but critical thinking and actual knowledge base are much more earned. The parents play a big part of course, in the sense that we are all essentially the product of our environment, but it takes work put in well after the critical parenting period of highest influence (until about age 13) is over. Your parents genes can make you intelligent, but there is nothing more often wasted than a capable mind.

The obvious next difference is that personality and intelligence are the essence of a person throughout their lives, whereas being physically attractive is astonishingly short lived.....Starting that the average women lives about 83 years, a woman does not really reach full physical peak until about age 17, at best. If she is very gifted, she will continue to be highly attractive until about age 32-35, however clearly most do not even make it this long. Many women are only on their top echelon for about 6 years before natural weight gain (a survival mechanism) starts to kick them out of the elite category. The same happens in athletics in men....a really gifted man athletically can only stay at the top for 10 years or so, at most. It isn't that he becomes fat and slow; it's just that the young bucks will start to get more and more an edge, as the margin is tiny. The same happens with women. A woman that is a genetic 7 will be more attractive at age 21 than a genetic 9 is at 31. It is just the way we are designed.

This is all why as a man, you have to learn that your most basic primal extinct in regards to mates, that being genetic value which prefers you take the most attractive, young woman you can to bed is NOT a good strategy for a partner. Or as my father put it once "Looks fade.....stupid is forever."

@MEvers

I know. I am used to people being surprised by my age. I was home-schooled, and I was a freshman in college in the fall that I turned 16.....that isn't actually as uncommon as they tell you though. I remember that I had a few people in my med school class that GRADUATED at 21. We had one guy that couldn't even legally go get a beer, but he was already an MD. I was not all that young there. There is no reason why a person should have to be 18 or 19 before they start college. It cuts down on your earning years, and it is an antiquated setup from when most kids were farmers or factory workers. No sense in waiting that long to get a damn high school diploma!

People my own age are usually incredibly boring to me. I enjoy older people, much more open-minded in the ways that it counts.

Well, not going to disagree with you on the looks fade with age thing. Obviously that is true, although your given age range seems kind of narrow. Tons of females I know who still get carded into their 40's (if they don't party it up in their 20's and go tanning daily, and have good genes). My dad also looks like he's in his late 30's (his co-workers were SHOCKED I was his daughter when he brought me into his workplace one day; "DUDE. HOW OLD ARE YOU?!?!").

However, looks are also a combination of nature, nurture, and personal upkeep. Dietary habits, how to dress oneself, etc. No one wants to admit they spend a great amount of time to keep up looks hence the stupid "I woke up like dis" humblebrags you see on social media. You're not going to look amazing if you spend most of your teens/20's doing drugs and all night partying.

Finally, I think looks aren't "just looks" and hence unimportant. They are fertility, ability to conceive (waist to hip ratio), and signs of good health (symmetrical features = genes resistant to environmental factors/disease during development; the correct feminine/masculine traits = good expression of hormones during puberty, etc). So it's not JUST vanity. It's selecting for good genes.

---------

I tend to not like the people my age because they're sheltered/spoiled, but then I tend not to like some older people because they're too pessimistic/jaded. I can find people who are in their 20's who are pretty mature, and I can find older people who are NOT jaded as well. People who don't NEED to prove how mature they are and is HAPPY (also not constantly being crotchety and being like "young people these days"...young on the inside) are people who are fun to hang around with, regardless of age. Someone with life experience AND also has a positive outlook on life...
    JOURNAL.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Popsicles!)

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: How to Remix a Pant Suit; Courtney, Fashion Editor)

"A sense of humour and a little lack of respect: that's what you need to make a legend survive."- Karl Lagerfeld

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kariberry View Post
    My rant: Why won't people at least TRY to see if natural ways might help their situation before they just pop a pill in their mouths?
    Because pills are easy and permanent change is hard.

People like easy. It's our "natural ways" - humans are lazy and want the easiest path to do everything. Good health USED TO be easy because all you had to choose from were natural products. In modern times, it's the exact opposite. The junk is everywhere, so the real work is weeding through it. We are doomed to failure and it will only get worse on the collective scale.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I started college at 16, too. Little known secret: You don't have to be a high school graduate to begin taking classes at community colleges in the US. You need only be 16, and pass the entry exam.

Of course, I did not get my BA until I was 21. I had *no idea* what I wanted to do, so there was a lot of changing majors and such. I had way more credits than I needed when I graduated.

I started grad school at age 23 (last semester) and I'm actually fairly young compared to my classmates. The youngest classmate I have had has been 21, but the ages really go all over the place. I have classmates in their late 20s, 40s and 50s. 30s oddly I have yet to encounter, maybe people are busy with families and careers?

I still get carded...sometimes. Sometimes I don't. A lot of times I just think the cashier is lazy, and it's not like I dress like a teenager.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    The same happens in athletics in men....a really gifted man athletically can only stay at the top for 10 years or so, at most. It isn't that he becomes fat and slow; it's just that the young bucks will start to get more and more an edge, as the margin is tiny.
    While this may be generally true, I still keep most of the younger wannabe bucks at bay at my age; in the gym, in mating, or elsewhere! Someday I will fall down though, but until then I will keep on battling for dominance before I finally become dethroned…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    I hear ya Lazarus.
    My friend was worried about me cause I was posting pics of my chooks and garden on Facebook, she was worried I don't have a life -_-
    She falls into the hot girl category

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    First rule of the Internet. Never post pictures of your chooks and garden. People will get the wrong idea and try to take advantage of you.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Drock is offline Senior Member
    We had one guy that couldn't even legally go get a beer, but he was already an MD.
    Doogie Howser?
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"
    Starting: 249#, 44" waist
    Current: 168#, 30" waist
    Goal: 140ish# or 28ish" waist

Kali28 is offline Member
    My rant:

Everyone I try to talk to about quitting grains and going PB always comes at me with the same nonsense. "But you NEED grains to live!" "What do you eat?" "Well I feel fine eating whatever I want" I live radically within the middle ground, I don't like following extreme fads without first doing my research and I don't like sitting around telling people they're wrong and I'm right, people can do whatever the hrll they want, choose to believe whatever information they find most comforting and i don't waste my time judging them for it, I can only offer my side and my experiences. But obviously people see the things I eat and are curious so I try to give them information (Mark has a fantastic post about how to answer people's questions which I utilize frequently, to no avail, and the people who do get it don't "have the will power")

And I TOTALLY get it. I'm almost a month into eating PB though I've been researching it since last year and I still look at labels and think "fat is bad, carbs are good, I can't eat this" or "oatmeal has to be a better breakfast than steak and eggs. I'm going to get so fat eating this crap" and I have to remind myself it's been working and to stick with it despite my years of being told otherwise. It's just with everything... people don't believe that the things they're taught by schools or large corporations may be incorrect. Maybe the things they're eating aren't healthy, a pop tart and a "whole grain" health bar have the same amount of useless garbage in it and neither are effectivr. I try to make life decisions based on the fact that I'll be 80 some day and will have to look back on my life choices and can either think "wow, I did the best I could" or "gee I wish I had paid more attention to what I was putting in my body and spending my time on, I could have been a lot happier, healthier and more successful". There are short term and long term consequences and the short term "cheats" and feel good foods like candy and other crap never DID anything for me except leave me with a fleeting feeling that something vital was missing and that I had wasted important body processes on taco bell and donuts. The only person who is 100% invested in only you is you, you suffer the consequences of every decision you make and I don't understand how people just shove away a truly healthy lifestyle concept as something for someone else, for those "healthy active people" or someone who has more self control. Ugh!

"They say you die twice- once when you stop breathing, and again, later on, when someone speaks your name for the last time."- Banksy

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    My own thought for educating my son is to start slow (i.e., I'm holding him back a year) to follow the way that the Finns do it -- they have a better educational system than we do, in part because they don't start academics until a kid is 7. Then, my hope is to home educate him through "middle" school (or supplement his education throughout until 8th grade), and then have him start university/concurrent high school classes when he's 14/15 (through a community college or state school. I would run it the same as if he were in regular high school -- parent teacher conferences, he's living at home, etc. A lot of kids can do this.

DS has already basically taught himself to read, write, and do basic maths. And that's with very little "instruction" from us. He has his interests, we provide resources, he figures it out. One way he's figured out basic maths -- role playing games with his dad. He's also figured out storytelling through that, and is working on his letters and reading now. He's frustrated that he can't read as well or quickly as he wants to -- he still has to sound everything out. So he gets frustrated because he wants the story.

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast