Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Small rant - add your own if you want!! :) page 17

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Gorbag has that one right, firstly.

Secondly, I am pretty sure that the phenomenon of "fat-shaming" is a societal virtue. It is not an individual attitude to be acted upon, but rather a set of societal norms that create a sense of failure for those not in perfect condition. The validity of this argument is the subject of another discussion, but it is madness to insert it into a person's interaction with their DOCTOR.

As a physician, your number one job is not to care for a patient's self-esteem, it is to tell them the truth about their own health in an objective manner. Often, this means telling people things they do not want to hear, but this is not your concern. You are not there to repeat back their notions of their own health.....you are a report card, not a moralist.

By this line of thinking, am I engaging in "diabetes shaming" in what I do by reminding them of their disease and giving them unbiased advice as to how to manage it? Do podiatrists "mobility shame"? What about a psychiatrist "mental health shaming"?

If you are a mechanic, your job is not to judge the car that someone is in. You don't tell them how nice it is or what a POS it is, as this is not your place. Your place is to fix it, educate them as to what is wrong and what must be done. It isn't even that your opinion is being guarded; it is that your opinion never even enters into the thought process.

For some reason people don't understand that doctors operate in a similar manner. When a patient comes in to see me, I view their heart and soul and personality as an entirely different entity to their physical status, which I am being trusted to help keep running so that their soul has a place to live. I can honestly tell you that I never merge the person with their conditions, anymore than a mechanic should be merging a broken belt to the person who drove it in. I have no room to "shame" anyone, as this area of their life is not my place to comment on. I am not their best friends or a close confidant. I am being trusted to use my training to allow them more time to appreciate these other things that really matter. That is all I am there to do.

Pretty simple.
    It's been proven that fat-shaming does not result in weight loss. In fact, it results in weight gain.

What do you think you're telling them that they don't already know?

Do you think they don't know they're fat?

Do you think they don't know that their body types are considered to be unacceptable?

Do you think they have never heard that that being "overweight" (ie, average in weight) puts them at a high risk of death from just about everything, even though in fact outcomes for people of average weight are better than for naturally skinny people?

Do you have a solution to give them besides willpower, given that weight loss dieting has a 0% chance of getting them down to the BMI you want them at and keeping them there? All studies show that weight loss diets are not effective for long-term weight management.

Or do you simply hound them and consider it good for their moral character?

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    You clearly did not understand what I wrote....

First of all, any doctor that automatically assumes that adiposity equals ill health is beyond ignorant. There are plenty of people that are, to a person on the street, regarded as "fat", however any reasonable medical examination may show that actual disease markers are low. You are assuming an incredible amount, both from the patient and the doctor, that does not resemble reality. It is your own construct.

All fat is not at all equal. This is not medical opinion.

I actually DO have a plan that very reliably (87% that follow for 12 months, to be exact) taken people that are markedly sick, diabetic, and gotten them down to one medication or less. It is myopic, ignorant, and cynical to just cast these people away as having "0 chance", especially in something as openly ridiculous as BMI.....if you want to get laughed at during a medical lecture, say "BMI" and watch people just start looking at their phones. You have just lost all credibility to any legitimate internal medicine doctor. This isn't 1950, and we have much better ways to track our progress.

I would like to think, to answer your ranting questions, that I have a LOT to tell people that they don't already know.....such as the fact that "willpower" is bullshit. It is the crutch of the no-better-plan people. Any doctor that truly trades in using that term needs to get their license taken away.

Seeing as I do it every day, all day, I'd like to think my patients would agree with me.

Wow, I feel sorry for you to be trapped in that kind of viewpoint. It's sad.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 03-18-2014 at 08:32 PM.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

miata is online now Senior Member
    Why would somebody want to change their lifestyle if "life is good" and they can solve their "health problem" with a little pill or two or three or...?

It seems that doctors should explain the options to patients, but I wonder how many would choose a lifestyle change?

The sad part is that pills are covered by health insurance, but healthy eating is not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's been proven that fat-shaming does not result in weight loss. In fact, it results in weight gain.

What do you think you're telling them that they don't already know?

Do you think they don't know they're fat?

Do you think they don't know that their body types are considered to be unacceptable?

Do you think they have never heard that that being "overweight" (ie, average in weight) puts them at a high risk of death from just about everything, even though in fact outcomes for people of average weight are better than for naturally skinny people?

Do you have a solution to give them besides willpower, given that weight loss dieting has a 0% chance of getting them down to the BMI you want them at and keeping them there? All studies show that weight loss diets are not effective for long-term weight management.

Or do you simply hound them and consider it good for their moral character?
    I know someone that was told to lose weight by the doctor regardless of what he was in for, refered to dieticians etc. Never really tried.

He now has diabetes, peripheral odema (that leaks out his skin and has induced toxemia) and had a gallbladder removed as well.

I fail to see how it's fat shaming. He was warned if he continued the way he was going he would have problems. If someone isn't warned I think that's a breach of care.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    In my own experience of being overweight, my doctor was very candid about my weight and the disease that we thought I had at the time. He was candid about medication as well -- it's side effects included weight gain and a few other potential problems.

I decided to exercise/diet anyway -- to make myself feel better. It wasn't will power -- it was a lifestyle change. I felt better. And I lost weight. And the symptoms of the disease that we thought I had (pituitary tumor) went away. I haven't had those symptoms since.

I knew that I was overweight. I didn't like being overweight and I was unhappy about it (I don't know if I was ashamed). What I do know is that no one else fat shamed me, except my ILs, who are basically jerks all the time -- they fat shame me now, and I'm not fat. My doctors certainly didn't fat shame me.

After I had my son, I was also heavy. My doctor (a different one at this point) heard me out a fair bit as I talked to him about what I considered my weight issue. I wasn't losing as fast as I'd expected, my diet and exercise hadn't changed, what was going on? Well, it was the breast feeding and I was within normal ranges. He felt that I was very healthy overall, and that I was carrying extra fat to feed the baby. I told him that I thought that breastfeeding was supposed to make you drop the weight -- he said that was mostly marketing. LOL

Anyway, the only people who fat shamed me then were my ILs. My doctor was very cool, very supportive, and very open about the weight. He recommended that I not diet (as in, cut calories), but that I do continue to exercise and eat well. He was happy with my diet, and he was happy with my weight and my son's. Overall, we were both very healthy, and so a little fat was no big deal (it wasn't "a little" fat to me, though -- I was back up at a size 12, and I was *very* upset about it).

Everywhere I went, people told me I looked great -- even strangers -- both times that I was fat. The only people who didn't were my ILs, who are jerks. My doctors were great -- we talked about it in a medical way.

I think that a lot of people do get an emotional button pushed when this happens.

And Im not saying that fat-shaming at a doctor's office *doesn't* happen, but I don't think it happens every time or even most of the time that a doctor brings up weight.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    How can anybody be “fat shamed” at the doctor’s office in a one to one talk where the doc gives his professional recommendations about what is the solution(s) to avoid further health problems? If the physician behaves rude or you don’t thrust him, think he is outdated etc., just find another doc and get over it! The same as when hiring a lawyer…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

RittenRemedy is online now Senior Member
    Here's my rant of the night: why do I always end up craving bacon banana pancakes after watching Epic Meal Time?

Seriously, this needs to happen, like now. Baconana pancakes.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm angry at the NZ government. Still. Again.

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    My rant: social media, trends, and my generation. I hate my generation and their fickle attempts to care about wider social/political issues only because it's trending on twitter. I would garuntee no one will care about the topic in question beyond it's life span as a hashtag. Remember the kony 2012 campaign? 90% of all of their updates contain alcohol related content, be it the impending night ahead, or the customary hangover that still comes as a shock to them. Really? You have a hangover? I give no shits, or a fuck. But that's ok, because in the other 10% of posts, you shared a picture promoting animal rights, despite not having done anything to actually stop it, therefore you are a compassionate and deep human being with a genuine concern with events outside your own little bubble of impending alcoholism and frequent drug taking. And get a proper haircut, not that elongated, side-shaven replica of all the other narcissistic morons you associate with.

That was cathartic.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Rant: WHY CAN'T THEY FIND THE FUCKING PLANE?!?!?!

It seriously disturbs me that there is no trace of this MH370 flight. Goes to show, humans were not designed to fly. Ugh.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast