Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Small rant - add your own if you want!! :) page 13

RittenRemedy is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAndHisCat View Post
    ^
    The main reason it smoked so much was because it needed cleaning (badly, it turned out). I never used any cooking oil but I'd only cleaned it once in the almost 4 years I've lived here. Didn't use it a whole lot (until recently), but enough to get it dirty. And I didn't even notice it was that dirty until I started using it more recently. I was broiling some chicken over the weekend and it was smoking, and when I opened the oven I noticed some of the smoke was coming not from the chicken or the pan it was on, but from the top of the oven itself! The next day I looked at the oven closely and yeah, I realized it was pretty messy.

Then, as I said on the previous page, when I turned on the self-cleaning thing the smoke went completely haywire. It was just a mess.
    Ah, that'll do it. I technically have a kitchen in my building, but the burners are out and the oven, well, I've cleaned it four times in six months because of people slopping crap ALL OVER and not cleaning it up. One time someone spilled barbecue sauce on the bottom and it CAUGHT FIRE while preheating before Chritsmas dinner.

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Err... couldn't you just take out the batteries...?
    Lol. Im guilty of not doing this. In the last place I lived, on the day that a brand new smoke alarm was fitted, I was cooking dinner and it must have smoked some because the alarm went off. I grabbed a broom and pressed on the alarm to shut it off. But it wouldn't shut up. After trying several times, I bashed it with the broom till the whole thing came off the ceiling.
    I promptly placed the punished device into a cupboard and there it stayed.
    I've done it before in a house previous to that one too. Im no good with smoke alarms!

I have however been very good with the ones in my current house. I dont have a ladder so I climbed a chair with 2 boxes on it and took out the battery of the dying smoke alarm, as it had been driving me nuts by reminding with a beep every 5 minutes that its battery was low.
    I have yet to replace the battery though...

meghee is offline Member
    My rant: smoke detector laws. Oh geeze.

My second rant: I'm upset with how people treat children in general. When they are young (lets say, under 2) they aren't super aware of the different types of foods. They eat whats presented to them. So if their parents are eating healthy, then the kid probably is too. There is no need for cheerios and fake fruit juice and that garbage. BUT after a child becomes more aware of what food is, I think it's a huge mistake for parents to regulate their children's food. I get very sad when I read about paleo moms (especially the super influential bloggers) who throw away halloween candy or refuse to let the kids eat the foods they want.

I think it's a much better approach to let children eat what they want, when they want and to never force them to "finish their plate" or to stop eating if you think they've had too much. I know that I would be much healthier had 1) my mother had cooked more meals, even gluten filled ones would have been better than constantly eating mcdonalds and kfc and 2) had there never been any discussion about how much, little, or often I ate. I learned at an early age to cope with food and sleeping. (like my obese mother coped). I wish I had learned to listen to the needs of my body, which most kids who aren't given arbitrary food rules do.
    Age 23, Height 5'10''

Feb 8th, 2014 Weight 218lb
    Feb 14th 2014 Weight 214lb
    Mar. 1 2014 Weight 213lb
    Mar. 29 2014 Weight 211lb

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Can I rant about commuting?

I hate commuting.

When I moved to NZ, I picked a place to live with a 10 minute walk to work. The DH wanted to move to a suburb. IT was a beautiful place to live, but the commute (which was 20 minutes) was still a pain. I preferred just walking to work and anywhere else I needed to be.

When we knew we were moving here, I picked neighborhoods within 15 minutes walking distance of DS's school. There are LOTS of apartments to rent there -- lots and lots and lots. But my family (who were looking for the apartments for us because my sister wouldn't let us stay with her for a week or two while we found our own place -- you know, even though it's a huge house) picked a place out near where my sister lives.

On a good day (no traffic), this is a 30 minute drive to my son's school. My son's school is also where the food co-op is, the trader joes, the gym, and the yoga studio that I go to. Basically, *everything* is over there. Which I freaking knew, and that's why i wanted an apartment over there.

Anyway, today, I had a 45 minute 2-mile commute. I'm at home with my son now, having not taken him into school today because I couldn't hack it.

I drove out of our main road, I drove 2 blocks and *sat* for 45 minutes. My husband popped out of the car and walked down to see what was going on, and talked to a police officer. He said that there was a bad wreck on the main artery -- both directions. That was about a mile away from our house. So, all traffic had been re-routed.

My husband asked if there were any more accidents past the main road that we were heading toward -- and the officer checked and said that there were actually 3 more accidents on the way to DS's school, and that we would be unlucky to get anywhere before noon with the state of things.

We left our house at 8:15. We got about 2 miles to a turn that would allow us to take some back roads home -- and got home at 9:00.

If I lived in the neighborhood where I wanted to live, I could have walked DS to school, walked on to the yoga studio, while DH walked over to the gym. And then I could have walked to red light therapy, too. And walked anywhere else that I wanted to.

instead of driving 2 miles in 45 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by meghee View Post
    My second rant: I'm upset with how people treat children in general. When they are young (lets say, under 2) they aren't super aware of the different types of foods.
    Kids are really capable.

The real issue is parents, for sure.

It starts with if the parents know how to eat themselves, and if they have coping strategies for their lives -- other than emotional eating. If the parents don't have these basics, kids really don't have that much of a shot.

From there, raising a kid is actually relatively easy (in terms of food stuff). I don't think DS is particularly exceptional, but he does have a unique way of doing things compared to other children -- and I think that's because I've more or less left him to his own devices within our family culture.

We practiced baby-led weaning. This is where you are waiting for the baby to start eating, rather than force-feeding them mush at 4-6 months of age. Babies will grab for and start playing with and trying food when they are ready -- usually between 6 and 8 month of age. DS was 8 mo. He had breast milk exclusively before then, and he had breast milk as his primary nutrition until 14 months, when he made the switch himself to eating food for nutrition (i.e., he was simply eating a lot more food, then, and breastfed less).

During this time of transition for him, he ate whatever I hate -- which meant a lot of diverse ethnic foods, a lot of fruits and veggies. And he would eat after his dad, so he got meat and such as well.

When he started eating meals with us, he transitioned to his dad's (WAPF-styled) diet, and then when we went paleo -- just after his second birthday -- he did too with no problems.

When it comes to eating non-paleo foods, it's no big deal to us. His kindy made rice balls and gluten-free buns each day (well, alternating days), and his current kindy feeds processed foods (like cheerios, goldfish crackers, and the like). I'm not as keen on that, but i figure it's such a small amount as to be really no big deal.

And, interestingly, because we talk about food a lot, he talked to his teachers about how the food is processed, what it might mean for help, and also a lot about the flavor of "umami." LOL He's funny.

For halloween, he came up with this idea that he would have one piece of candy after breakfast and dinner. He came up with this himself, and he kept his container right on the table where he could reach it. No big deal -- he created his own rule and followed it. About 10 days after halloween (still with candy left), eh decided that he didn't want any more candy, but to "save it for later." He hadn't asked for it by the time I was cleaning out the cupboards (which I do quarterly, and kept after last quarter), and I asked him what he wanted to do with it.

He picked two pieces and said to get rid of the rest. And he said the same about his christmas candy, which wasn't very much either (mostly old candy canes). So, I got rid of them (pulled them out of packaging, crushed them up, and put them into compost at the community garden with the compost that I sometimes take there).

Yesterday, we decided to have pizza as a family -- it was simple, good quality, traditional naples-style pizza. It was great, no problems. DS was over the moon with excitement. We had our normal salad; and we also had some left over steak.

DS usually cleans his plate, no problems there, though sometimes doesn't want to finish his fish -- though now he's back to doing that and eating some of mine besides.

He's only 5, but he's very good at eating what he needs, not eating excessively, and isn't a huge fan of junk foods which he rarely has anyway. So, it works out.

I think the baby-led weaning, though, aside from what we eat, was a huge part of it.

meghee is offline Member
    I'm not a mom, but I so look forward to getting pregnant and becoming a mother. For years I swore I'd never have children b/c I thought I'd ruin them. Fortunately I met some really wonderful friends who are very relaxed parents and also very conscious of their parenting style. I have a lot of goals and a good idea of the type of pregnancy I want, what sort of birth I'd like to try to have, and what sort of mother I hope to be.

I'm a huge fan of breastfeeding and baby led weaning. I fully intend to breastfeed as long as my child wants to and be very relaxed about their eating.

I think it's wonderful zoebird that your family is so relaxed with your son. It makes me feel hopeful about this planet
    Age 23, Height 5'10''

Feb 8th, 2014 Weight 218lb
    Feb 14th 2014 Weight 214lb
    Mar. 1 2014 Weight 213lb
    Mar. 29 2014 Weight 211lb

You can do it.

I discovered a lot of methods before I ever got pregnant, and it really helped me hone into what I wanted to learn and meet people who were like me. I focused mostly on parenting stuff like: baby wearing, breastfeeding and baby-led weaning, natural infant hygiene (aka Diaper Free Baby), cosleeping, and alternative pedagogies for education (we chose waldorf; second choice is 'unschooling' which we do outside of waldrof), unconditional parenting is another one (alfie cohen is the main author). I'm not very good at that last one. LOL

Anyway, there are lots of things that you can learn ahead of time, meet your people, and then basically it's follow-through. There are lots of ways to do each of those things, so it's not like each one has "one true way." But learning about them, and learning the skills related, can be very helpful.

Most people before were waiting for me to fail -- saying that I wouldn't get what I wanted. But what I learned is that by learning and having certain ideas and goals in place, everything was really achievable.

I'm sitting in the dining area of a children's museum at lunch right now. No food is sold here, so this is what the tables around me are having.

Table 1
    Mom having a sandwich
    Baby (6 monthish) being force fed butterscotch pudding

Table 2
    Mom, preschooler, toddler all eating McDonalds with desserts.

Table 3
    Two moms (huge), 2 toddlers, 2 preschoolers, and a baby all eating Lunchables

This would be next to the corn and soy agriculture exhibits.
    ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1393008023.618049.jpg

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Can I rant about commuting?

I hate commuting.

When I moved to NZ, I picked a place to live with a 10 minute walk to work. The DH wanted to move to a suburb. IT was a beautiful place to live, but the commute (which was 20 minutes) was still a pain. I preferred just walking to work and anywhere else I needed to be.

When we knew we were moving here, I picked neighborhoods within 15 minutes walking distance of DS's school. There are LOTS of apartments to rent there -- lots and lots and lots. But my family (who were looking for the apartments for us because my sister wouldn't let us stay with her for a week or two while we found our own place -- you know, even though it's a huge house) picked a place out near where my sister lives.

On a good day (no traffic), this is a 30 minute drive to my son's school. My son's school is also where the food co-op is, the trader joes, the gym, and the yoga studio that I go to. Basically, *everything* is over there. Which I freaking knew, and that's why i wanted an apartment over there.

Anyway, today, I had a 45 minute 2-mile commute. I'm at home with my son now, having not taken him into school today because I couldn't hack it.

I drove out of our main road, I drove 2 blocks and *sat* for 45 minutes. My husband popped out of the car and walked down to see what was going on, and talked to a police officer. He said that there was a bad wreck on the main artery -- both directions. That was about a mile away from our house. So, all traffic had been re-routed.

My husband asked if there were any more accidents past the main road that we were heading toward -- and the officer checked and said that there were actually 3 more accidents on the way to DS's school, and that we would be unlucky to get anywhere before noon with the state of things.

We left our house at 8:15. We got about 2 miles to a turn that would allow us to take some back roads home -- and got home at 9:00.

If I lived in the neighborhood where I wanted to live, I could have walked DS to school, walked on to the yoga studio, while DH walked over to the gym. And then I could have walked to red light therapy, too. And walked anywhere else that I wanted to.

instead of driving 2 miles in 45 minutes.
    Counting down the days till the lease expires?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

PrimalCon New York
    Yes, and also looking for a place in the mean time. Apartments get snatched up fast, so we've spoken to three highly-regarded management companies looking for openings in August or Sept. I call every week to see if there are any opening up in the neighborhood and price points that we want.

And then, of course, bonus features like a private yard or balcony/deck that are south-facing (or partly south facing), too.

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast